Mariah Bell | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Mariah Bell

BeenJammin

Rinkside
With Angela Wang appearing in the USFS champs camp team picture it looks like Mariah will unfortunately be passed over for the Skate America TBD spot :( Does anyone else have any more news on this or is this a wrong assumption?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Looks like Mariah and Romain are indeed in California:

https://instagram.com/p/BJmYEilhDOm/

To play devil's advocate :devil::

Wyoming is the locator for Mariah's Instagram post from yesterday.

And her caption for the California photo is: "Perfect way to end the week."
For me, it is impossible to rule out an interpretation along the lines of: "My BF and I have been traveling around for a week, and here we are today enjoying a smooch in SoCal."

IMO, not clear whether they are in SoCal for good. Maybe so, maybe not :popcorn:.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
One thought i had was they could be training with Raf for some time much like Jason did with Frank. That could explain both the rumor, the beach kiss, and the somewhat odd nature of it all. If nothing else i guess we will know at Salt Lake... unless Raf and Kori decide to mess with us and be in the K&C together.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
To play devil's advocate :devil::

Wyoming is the locator for Mariah's Instagram post from yesterday.

And her caption for the California photo is: "Perfect way to end the week."
For me, it is impossible to rule out an interpretation along the lines of: "My BF and I have been traveling around for a week, and here we are today enjoying a smooch in SoCal."

IMO, not clear whether they are in SoCal for good. Maybe so, maybe not :popcorn:.

Right. And she posted the same thing on Twitter. For someone who must know that people are speculating about a coaching change, she's been quite cryptic, to say the least. If her Instagram and Twitter accounts were mostly private - for herself, friends, family - I'd say fine. But honestly, to the extent she uses them as a means to communicate with her fans, I find it annoying rather than cute or intriguing. If you made a coaching change, say it. If you didn't, say it. See, eg, Hannah Miller's brief note on her website confirming her coaching change. Frankly, I found the coy and indirect way Jason's training with FC was handled similarly offputting.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Right. And she posted the same thing on Twitter. For someone who must know that people are speculating about a coaching change, she's been quite cryptic, to say the least. If her Instagram and Twitter accounts were mostly private - for herself, friends, family - I'd say fine. But honestly, to the extent she uses them as a means to communicate with her fans, I find it annoying rather than cute or intriguing. If you made a coaching change, say it. If you didn't, say it. See, eg, Hannah Miller's brief note on her website confirming her coaching change. Frankly, I found the coy and indirect way Jason's training with FC was handled similarly offputting.

With all due respect, Tavi: Why should Mariah's approach to talking about her coaching change (or training plans) be dictated by the people who are speculating about it (same with Jason)? She really doesn't owe anyone, except those directly affected (coaches, off-ice trainers, parents, etc.), an explanation about her plans.

And I agree with icecoverage comment elsewhere that if TSL was going to reveal that kind of information it has to be attributed to somebody. Not necessarily a name, but simply at least WHERE they got it from. Even "sources close to Mariah/Raf/whatever" would have been OK.

Maybe she simply wants to share moments from her road trip with her friends and family and there's no other ulterior motive. I know that social media has enabled fans more access to a skater, but the skater still can decide how much (or how little) to reveal.

And since this is a fan fest thread. Whatever she's doing, I hope she has a great season. :cheer:

ETA: Everyone is certainly entititled to one's feelings on ones public relations and I'm just as curious about all of you, but my main point is that Mariah's approach to disclose (or not disclose) information wouldn't (and shouldn't, arguably) be dictated by others speculating about it.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
With all due respect, Tavi: Why should Mariah's approach to talking about her coaching change (or training plans) be dictated by the people who are speculating about it (same with Jason)? She really doesn't owe anyone, except those directly affected (coaches, off-ice trainers, parents, etc.), an explanation about her plans.

And I agree with icecoverage comment elsewhere that if TSL was going to reveal that kind of information it has to be attributed to somebody. Not necessarily a name, but simply at least WHERE they got it from. Even "sources close to Mariah/Raf/whatever" would have been OK.

Maybe she simply wants to share moments from her road trip with her friends and family and there's no other ulterior motive. I know that social media has enabled fans more access to a skater, but the skater still can decide how much (or how little) to reveal.

And since this is a fan fest thread. Whatever she's doing, I hope she has a great season. :cheer:

I love Mariah and also hope she has a brilliant season!

I also absolutely agree that Dave should have cited a source, even if it was an indirect one. However, while I agree in theory that a skater has a choice of how much or what she wants to reveal, to a greater (Jason) or lesser (Mariah) degree, they're public figures - I mean, they receive media training - so I do think it's appropriate for them to publicly clarify career-related information and misinformation. I doubt Mariah had any ulterior motives for posting what she did - you're probably right that she thinks of her social media accounts as primarily personal - but I'm kind of surprised at her silence on the matter.

Incidentally, while I was looking at her recent Twitter postings, I ran across these two - unrelated to her coaching status :

https://twitter.com/cbpcenters/status/756608115357786112
https://twitter.com/mariahsk8rbell/status/757670709984317441

Here is the CBP Center website

http://www.cbp-centers.com/#!about/cjg9

Hard to tell whether this is for rehab or performance enhancement.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
On the other hand, from a PR stance, maybe they don't feel it's be best to respond publicly to the speculation at this time. In Jason's case, I think he benefitted from not saying much and letting his skating do the talking at Glacier.

Unless there is blatant misinformation out there, there's probably not much motivation to say much until things settle down.

Raf was with Brezina at TCC but didn't reveal it officially until several months later. I'm sure they are seeking the best opportunity possible to reveal whatever news or they don't want much attention drawn to them.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Incidentally, while I was looking at her recent Twitter postings, I ran across these two - unrelated to her coaching status :

Thx, Tavi. And here is Romain getting (if that is the right verb? undergoing?) videonystagmography at CBP.
Ya know ;), videonystagmography. (My new word for the day :cool:.)

ETA:
Videonystagmography (VNG) = "a technology for testing inner ear and central motor functions, a process known as vestibular assessment. It involves the use of infrared goggles to trace eye movements during visual stimulation and positional changes."

I see that the CBP site mentions GyroStim therapy.
FWIW, GyroStim has had some kind of relationship with 7K/Jason/Kori/etc. for a couple of years.

ETA: I think the photo of Mariah and Romain tweeted by CBP shows them in the GyroStim apparatus.​

IIRC, Jason has tweeted about GyroStim in the past. In any case, @GyroStim has tweeted/retweeted a lot about Jason.
And IIRC (although I could be hallucinating this part), I think Jordan might have even mentioned something about working as a technician operating GyroStim?? Or maybe it was Joe Johnson or another Colorado Springs skater??

.... Maybe she simply wants to share moments from her road trip with her friends and family and there's no other ulterior motive. I know that social media has enabled fans more access to a skater, but the skater still can decide how much (or how little) to reveal.

ETA: Everyone is certainly entititled to one's feelings on ones public relations and I'm just as curious about all of you, but my main point is that Mariah's approach to disclose (or not disclose) information wouldn't (and shouldn't, arguably) be dictated by others speculating about it.

Thanks as always for your wise words, Mrs. P.

Perfect example of social media being a double-edged sword ... which could be a thread topic unto itself.

I too am in a state of curiosity, and am OK with being left curious.

Last edited:

alexg

Rinkside
Her ice network profile has been updated with her new coach, which makes it official.

polenka84

Rinkside
Incidentally, while I was looking at her recent Twitter postings, I ran across these two - unrelated to her coaching status :

Just performance enhancement...they used to have a machine permanently installed at the Monument rinks for brain training (it essentially aids in the development of air awareness--and is helpful in the treatment of concussions, though that use was targeted more towards the hockey players) and the national level skaters used to use it routinely...they no longer have the machine at the rink though.

Last edited:

polenka84

Rinkside
One thought i had was they could be training with Raf for some time much like Jason did with Frank... unless Raf and Kori decide to mess with us and be in the K&C together.

It's a permanent change as the Ice Network page suggests...not temporary; lol at the thought of both of them in the K&C...because that just would *never* happen!

polenka84

Rinkside
For someone who must know that people are speculating about a coaching change, she's been quite cryptic, to say the least.

My suspicion is that it was a decision she and her parents struggled with...Raf saw her skate and approached them at Glacier...and they may have been hoping it would work out a different way (e.g., not such a permanent change). It is also not unusual for skaters to do a trial of some sort (what sort depends on the skater) before deciding to make a coaching change.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
My suspicion is that it was a decision she and her parents struggled with...Raf saw her skate and approached them at Glacier...and they may have been hoping it would work out a different way (e.g., not such a permanent change). It is also not unusual for skaters to do a trial of some sort (what sort depends on the skater) before deciding to make a coaching change.

He approached her? I guess that's no longer a no-no under PSA rules, but still. I wish her good luck.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I strongly suspect that is NOT what happened, and you really ought to be careful saying so unless you personally witnessed and heard the interaction.

You know, the fact that you "strongly suspect" this statement is "NOT what happened" has exactly the same "proof" as the statement you're attacking: none. I'm not sure where you're located, but in the US, the First Amendment protects people's rights to speak freely, within certain limits. Personally hearing and witnessing an interaction is not required in order for someone to make a statement in life, or on an Internet forum.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
You know, the fact that you "strongly suspect" this statement is "NOT what happened" has exactly the same "proof" as the statement you're attacking: none. I'm not sure where you're located, but in the US, the First Amendment protects people's rights to speak freely, within certain limits. Personally hearing and witnessing an interaction is not required in order for someone to make a statement in life, or on an Internet forum.

I'm not sure what the first amendment has to do with this. Of course everyone has the right to post whatever they want on an Internet forum. That doesn't mean others can't point out it might not be in good taste. We don't know what happened with Mariah and Raf or the context any observed conversation may have been in. Thusly, I don't agree with speculation that amounts to little more than gossip. Just as it is another posters right to say what they want it also my right to respond. Disagreement doesn't have to be a negative thing.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I'm not sure what the first amendment has to do with this. Of course everyone has the right to post whatever they want on an Internet forum. That doesn't mean others can't point out it might not be in good taste. We don't know what happened with Mariah and Raf or the context any observed conversation may have been in. Thusly, I don't agree with speculation that amounts to little more than gossip. Just as it is another posters right to say what they want it also my right to respond. Disagreement doesn't have to be a negative thing.

Right, but it's one thing to express your own opinion and another to try to shame others into repressing theirs because you disagree with it. If you say, I disagree with you, and here's why, that's perfectly valid. All of us do that here all the time. If you basically then add, and you should shut up and not say anything unless you can prove it or because I disagree or don't like it, then you're crossing a line.

I don't want to further derail this thread by discussing first amendment law, but what we say, and whether someone can lawfully stop us from saying it, is at the core of first amendment protection.

matscol

Rinkside
The statement as made was - deliberately or not - an accusation of tampering, coming from someone who's post history shows a connection with 7K. My reply was a suggestion that one ought not to make such accusations without direct first-hand knowledge of the facts, as it is a serious accusation indeed, and perhaps a libelous one.

The First Amendment does not give one the right to libel. The statement "Raf saw her skate and approached them at Glacier" was, unless it was intended to rest under the umbrella of the preceding sentence's "My suspicion is", presented as fact. If it's true, there should be consequences for him.

I did not suggest as fact, as I do not know, whether the poster really was standing there to witness and overhear any conversation which may have taken place. I stated my strong suspicion - marked clearly as opinion, which as you so helpfully point out I have in the U.S. a 1st-Amendment right to express - based on my belief that it is more likely that Rafael would not jeopardize his career trying to poach a skater than it is that the poster was in fact witness to such poaching.

More than anything, I was trying to nudge out a clarification, and I do find your post with its accusatory "I'm not sure where you're located..." bit a gross over-reaction.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My suspicion is that it was a decision she and her parents struggled with...Raf saw her skate and approached them at Glacier...and they may have been hoping it would work out a different way (e.g., not such a permanent change). ...

polenka, as I take another look at your first sentence (and its construction), I notice some ambiguity that you perhaps did not intend.

The first and third parts of your sentence are speculative: "My suspicion is ..." and "they may have been hoping ...."

Was the second part intended to be only speculative as well? In other words, it is not clear to me whether you mean that the part about Raf approaching Mariah is another part of your "suspicion."

Even if you intended to present the Raf part as factual information (and not as speculation), we each can decide for ourselves whether we accept it as factual information.
But that question would be moot if you intended for it to be understood only as your suspicion.

[Full disclosure: In response to Tavi's post in the U.S. Ladies thread, I expressed my opinion over there that I think you (meaning polenka) are oversharing and/or possibly including hearsay in your posts. I said so b/c my initial interpretation of your sentence was that you intended to state outright that Raf approached Mariah. But as I look at it again, I am not even sure that was your intended meaning.]

Last edited: