Grand Prix Final predictions | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final predictions

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
OK, so after 6 highly surprising and unpredictable weeks, everything is finally known :) Below the complete list of the sportsmen qualified to the Grand Prix Final. Your predictions, please?

Men competition:

1.- Maxim Kovtun (RUS): 30 points

2.- Javier Fernández (ESP): 28 points

3.- Tatsuki Machida (JPN): 28 points

4.- Takahito Mura (JPN): 26 points

5.- Sergei Voronov (RUS): 26 points

6.- Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN): 22 points

Ladies competition:

1.- Elena Radionova (RUS): 30 points

2.- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (RUS): 28 points

3.- Anna Pogorilaya (RUS): 28 points

4.- Gracie Gold (USA): 26 points

5.- Julia Lipnitskaia (RUS): 26 points

6.- Ashley Wagner (USA): 24 points

Pairs competition:

1.- Ksenia Stolbova / Fedor Klimov (RUS): 30 points

2.- Meagan Duhamel / Eric Radford (CAN): 30 points

3.- Yuko Kavaguti / Alexander Smirnov (RUS): 28 points

4.- Cheng Peng / Hao Zhang (CHN): 26 points

5.- Wenjing Sui / Cong Han (CHN): 26 points

6.- Xiaoyu Yu / Yanj Jin (CHN): 24 points

Dance competition:

1.- Madison Chock / Evan Bates (USA): 30 points

2.- Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje (CAN): 30 points

3.- Gabriella Papadakis / Guillaume Cizeron (FRA): 30 points

4.- Maia Shibutani / Alex Shibutani (USA): 26 points

5.- Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier (CAN): 26 points

6.- Elena Ilinykh / Ruslan Zhiganshin (RUS): 22 points

jimeonji

Final Flight
Men's is so ????? but I'll try my best
1. Fernandez
2. Machida
3. Mura/Hanyu/Kovtun lol I don't even know

Ladies
1. Radionova
2. Tuktamysheva
3. Lipnitskaia/Pogorilaya

Pairs
1. S/K
2. D/R
3. K/S or S/H

Dance
1. C/B
2. W/P
3. P/C or S/S

TheCzar

On the Ice
Ladies:
1.) Radionova
2.) Tuktamysheva
3.) Wagner/Pogorilaya (obviously, this scenario would include Lipnitskaya in a meltdown and Gold being overwhelmed by the pressure and Wagner being propped by PCS. In any case, if she skates 'clean' like she did at Worlds in the LP, it's not completely unrealistic)

Men:
1.) Machida
2.) Hanyu
3.) Kovtun/Mura

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ladies:
1) Liza - I think she is due for two clean skates since she is well rested after competing a lot in the early season.
2) Elena - I think she will skate well but maybe not as well as Liza.
3) Ashley - Because I think she will be relatively clean and the rest are prone to error-filled LP's: Julia's jumps seem to be getting worse, Gracie still has jump problems, and Anna has been shaky. If any of them are clean they can beat Ashley.

nieves

On the Ice
Men

1. Fernandez
2. Machida
3. Hanyu

Ladies

1. Radionova
2. Tuktamysheva
3. Lipnitskaia

Dance

1. Chock / Bates
2. Weaver / Poje
3. Papadakis / Cizeron

Manitou

Medalist
So by looking at the posts, does it mean Chock/Bates are now officially anointed as #1 dance team by The Elders?
I thought it was Weaver/Poje's turn now?

--

Last edited:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Ladies
1.Liza
2.Elena
3.Anna/Gracie

Pairs
1.S/K (>10 points more than 2nd place)
2.D/R
3.S/H

Ice dance
1.W/P
2.C/B
3.P/C

Men (mixed feelings:laugh:...I'm Yuzuru's fan, Machida's LP is by far my favourite this season and Javi is at home and it would be nice for him to win. I'll try to be objective:laugh:)
1.Machida
2.Yuzuru
3.Javi

MalAssada

Medalist
My favourite discipline is Ladies so this is the one I'll predict for now.

1. Elena - two wins and amazing presentation skills will give her a PCS boost and as long as she is consistent, the gold is hers.
2. Liza - she's competed a lot and I'm not sure if the amount of wins in "weak" fields will boost her confidence or lower it when she finds herself surrounded by champions.
3. Yulia - rough start so far, but I'm positive she has been training a lot and with RN coming, Yulia has to hurry if she wants to go to Worlds.
4. Gracie - good tech, bad nerves. We don't know how the gold in NHK will affect her; she will either feel confident or crumble under extra pressure.
5. Anna - again, good tech, but her presentation could be so much better. We saw in Russia that pressure is a factor - here, it is even more intense as RN approach.
6. Ashley - sadly, she doesn't have the tech to compete with the rest of the girls. A reasonable clean skate + huge PCS will garantee a good score, but not enough.

samson

Medalist
^Certainly if you look at the scores from their individual events Chock and Bates seem to have the clear edge, and I would argue that their free dance packs more punch.

I think is Elena is clean she clearly seems to have the momentum to just sail ahead of the field. Considering the number of events Liza has done her consistency has been down right staggering, but her jump content isn't as high as Elena's.

I think bronze will go to whoever is cleanest. I don't think any of the other four ladies are at a point YET this season where they'll skate well enough to crack into that top 2. I think the story might be a little different later in the season though. Ashley has GOT to rotate that triple loop in her short and up the ante in the long if she wants to threaten for the podium. I think it's ultimately Gracie's to lose. Julia is loosing stock with her rough free skates and the Russian Feds have other places to look right now, and I just get the feeling that Anna will be lost in the crowd here - but who knows, flying under the radar could do wonders for her.

My gut says

Men
1. Javi - He'll have home ice advantage and I have a feeling he's going to want to put on a good show, which might give him that oomph.
2. Machida - I think he's going to go clean here, but if Javi is clean in the short I'm not sure anyone will be able to catch him.
3. ????? - All the other men are too inconsistent to predict. I don't think Hanyu's going to back in form, and I'm dubious of the consistency of the Russian men. Who knows, maybe this is Mura's chance

Ladies
1. Elena
2. Liza
3. Gracie - If she's clean ENOUGH she's got the start value and the PCS to get her there, but I'm not convinced she can crack top two yet.

Dance
1. Chock and Bates - Weaver and Poje outdid them in Nebelhorn but it feels like the tide has turned and I think they have better vehicles this year
2. Weaver and Poje - I think they'll still get the silver but they've got Papadakis and Cizeron breathing down both teams necks.
3. Papadakis and Cizeron - If at any point these top two struggle, this team is ready and waiting in the wings, and I have to admit, I think they just might have the programs and the skating skills to get them to the top of the podium by the end of the year.

Pairs
1. Stolbova and Klimov - Russia has more than worthy heirs to their throne and aesthetically I think they are the strongest out there.
2. Duhamel and Radford - They've finally exhaled after the olympics and it shows. Plus with that quad sal they are probably the strongest case for a threat to S/K
3. Kavaguti and Smirnov - I think this year they'll have the edge over Sui and Han, and if they skate two clean programs they might even be able to overtake D/R but if they want to be on the podium I think it will mean being cleaner than Sui and Han

HanDomi

Record Breaker
MEn is too hard to predict. Looking at last year Yuzuru also was quite bombin on gP events and then pulled everything together at GPF to beat Chan, and now again he is off form in GP events, and I have no idea what to do :biggrin:
Javi can skate well or can bomb. Machida also looking that is not physically yet there as he still can't do planned layout

It may end that Kovtun will win :laugh2:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hey, you all, this is a good place to think about the predictions. I expect you will be all prepared when we start the GPF round for our predictions game. Trust me, you'll need the extra discussion. :laugh:

MalAssada

Medalist
Hey, you all, this is a good place to think about the predictions. I expect you will be all prepared when we start the GPF round for our predictions game. Trust me, you'll need the extra discussion. :laugh:

Prepared? I can't wait for it :yes:

Wo|flax

Final Flight
MEn is too hard to predict. Looking at last year Yuzuru also was quite bombin on gP events and then pulled everything together at GPF to beat Chan, and now again he is off form in GP events, and I have no idea what to do :biggrin:
Javi can skate well or can bomb. Machida also looking that is not physically yet there as he still can't do planned layout

It may end that Kovtun will win :laugh2:

Oh god it totally could. If Kovtun keeps fumbling into upset wins I will have no choice but to become his fan because the longer he keeps doing it the more hilar it will be. Was it GS or absoluteskating that predicted he would have a break out season? if he wins it'll be like 'er...I guess... we were right; he's won everything this season! he's um.. having a breakout season!'

Javier should win, he seems like the kind to skate well at home, he's been looking good and not peaking early, but also the pressure might get to him. Machida might might finally pull off the rest of his LP layout. And Yuzu should never be counted out. Therefore, I think either Voronov or Mura will win; I think my logic is sound taking the men discipline into account. Actually, I'm going to say Voronov because he has two second places.

slider11

Medalist
I'm with you, silvia451! I'm out on the limb with you that Weaver and Poje pass Chock and Bates. If not at the GPF, then Worlds. I also like Gracie for bronze. And Machida has a spark and really appreciates the results! That is fun to see!

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Men:
1. Javier Fernandez, I hope because it would be really great for him to win at home
2. Tatsuki Machida, I hope he can pull it together
3. Maxim Kovtun, judges favour him so if he minimizes his mistakes he'll be there

Ladies:
1. Elena Radionova - scarily consistent, wonderful performer
2. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - Liza has been really consistent too, if she can skate clean, the judges will reward her, I hope she can finally win a GPF medal
3. Yulia Lipnitskaya - I think she can pull it together and get on the podium

Pairs:
1. Stolbova/Klimov
2. Duhamel/Radford
3. Kavaguti/Smirnov
For pairs these 3 seems like the undisputed top right now

Ice Dance:
1. Weaver/Poje
2. Chock/Bates
3. Papadakis/Cizeron
The judges seem to reward C/B more but I'm hoping that W/P will take it

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
Ladies:

1. Elena -- will definitely win gold. She's really fierce and I feel that she's able to sell her program well.
2. Elizaveta -- I'm not sure she will really get second over Julia but I'm kind of hoping for it. She is also very consistent. She has competed so many times this season so I think that helps her to really be comfortable with her program (although I do hope that does not mean she feels burn out or something).
3. Julia --I love her SP but I don't know how she could be ahead of Elena after the SP if both of them skated clean. Her FS is a make or break for her, I think. But she'll definitely be on the podium.

For the men, Maxim is not my favorite but if he skates clean, I think he will be rewarded the gold. :think: But I am really hoping for big surprises in the men like Mura winning the gold :party: .

FTnoona

Final Flight
Men:
1. Machida
2. Javi
3. Kovtun
4. Mura
5. Voronov
6. Hanyu

Didn't Machida have boot problems at TEB because he was changing his boots? I think he'll be back in form and take the title. My gut says Kovtun is going to take the win, but I am gonna go with Machida. Hanyu looks under prepared for this season. Adding on his fear from the accident, I don't think he'll be able to bounce back in 1.5 weeks.

Ladies:
1. Elena
2. Liza
3. Julia
4. Gold
5. Anna
6. Ashley

With the extra mileage on her FS maybe Julia can spoil Elena's victory but it looks like a clear path for Elena at the moment. Personally, I would love to see Liza take the title after her disappointing olympic season.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'm curious--why conclude that if Kovtun skates clean, he automatically gets the gold? Would the judges take a clean Kovtun over a clean Machida or Javi (who've both been cleaner than Kovtun thus far)? :unsure:

I wouldn't be surprised if Kovtun won at this rate, but I think that depends on how the others skate, not how he skates.

leolion11

On the Ice
I think clean Machida and Fernandez will have higher PCS than a clean Kovtun, so I guess a clean Fernandez should come out on top because PCS + high BV

FTnoona

Final Flight
I'm curious--why conclude that if Kovtun skates clean, he automatically gets the gold? Would the judges take a clean Kovtun over a clean Machida or Javi (who've both been cleaner than Kovtun thus far)? :unsure:

I wouldn't be surprised if Kovtun won at this rate, but I think that depends on how the others skate, not how he skates.

I agree with you, I don't think clean Kovtun will beat clean Machida or Javi. However, given the way the men's GP has panned out, me predicting that it's gonna end up a semi-splatfest and placing an unlikely winner like Mura or Voronov will probably be better than any of my predictions so far :laugh:

Last edited: