Who DO you get? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who DO you get?

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Cohen, Shiz., Phaneuf, Louann Dononvan, Jenny Kirk, Nikodinov, NNN, Josee Chouinard, SL Bourne, Lucinda Ruh, Malinina, Fumie.

Kurt (not the clown stuff) Kulik, Old Yagudin. SOI Tara, Kristy, Kat, Debi Thomas, Nancy, Jill Trenary, Janet Lynn, T&D and B&K type ice dance. Steven Cousins, Dorothy, Peggy, even Dick!

Todays male eligibles- not many. Plush, Keven vander Perren, Stephan Lindemann, Eman

I forgot about Josee Chiounard! What a delightful skater. In her competitive career she was never quite able to conquer her nerves, but to me she is one of the best entertainers out there (also one of the cutest).

Mathman:)

bronxgirl

Medalist
Kwan (natch), Slutskaya, Bielmann at the Olympics - (blew my mind!)I hope to get Phaneuf, JK, and Kimmie Meissner.

Men - Plush, Weiss, Weir, Elvis, and both Brians

Pairs, the Protopopovs, Irinia Rodnina and partners, the Chinese pairs. (all of them)

Dance I'm afraid that T/D ruined the sport for me. No one else gets to me the way 84 Bolero does. I'm hoping to get B/A/ Still hoping...

IDLERACER

Medalist
I'm probably the only person in this forum who fully "gets" Sarah Hughes. I've always viewed her as being somewhat of a champion for the proletariat. While everyone else pooh-poohs the weird way she bends her free leg when going into a toe-pick jump as looking a bit like someone about to kick a soccer ball, I see it more as a renegade-like defiance of conventionality. Besides, she's a babe.

Last edited:

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Emanuel Sandhu (watching his fall-filled programs from Worlds blows me away--he truly IS, as one British (?) paper remarked, "positively dripping with world-beating talent".)
Stephane Lambiel
Lu Chen
Philippe Candeloro
Oksana Baiul
Elena & Anton
Artur & Natalia (&, to a lesser extent, Oksana)
Anissina & Peizirat
Suzanna Poykio
Yukina Ota
Shizuka Arakawa
Dan Fang (great spark, fun to watch her really short, abrupt toe picking technique, has fun on the ice)
Alexander Abt
Alexei Yagudin
Sasha Cohen
Michelle Kwan
Evgeni Plushenko

Tenorguy

On the Ice
I Get Sarah

Idleracer - You are not alone! I too am moved (uh, was moved) by Sarah's skating... the laybacks, the deep edges, that phat 2axle, the line of her arabesque; I miss them all.

I always "felt" her skating and to me, her supposed gawkiness actually was charming - she never skated like a machine and as much as I admire Sasha, Sasha is rather cold and I feel Sarah projected freshness, youth and kind of emotional warmth on the ice. I though La Bayadere was a very strong and artistically fullfilling program - she even payed attention to the choreography of the ballet - speciafically what some poster called the breat-examination move!

I think if that person knew Petipa's original choreography they would not have made that shortsighted statement. I also think some of the reservations some people had about Sarah was due to the fact that she skated opposite - I think left-handed - isn't that correct? Her jumps looked different than the other American ladies so perhaps this "marked" her?

I think Sarah's real triumph in the Olys was capitalizing on a moment in time and transcending her weaknesses (yes, I admit her flutz was prominent) and rising to do her best - isn't that what all of us would wish? That we could step into the spotlight and do our very best?

I hope she skates again - I miss her - can't wait to see what she looks like in 5 years, like you said she's quite the babe!

Tenorguy

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
These are the current eligible and pro skaters I get (it does not mean that I have liked their every program):

Ilia Kulik
Alexei Urmanov (eligible)
Kurt Browning
Philippe Candeloro (eligible)
Brian Boitano
Brian Orser
Evgeny Plushenko
Stéphane Lambiel
Johnny Weir
Karel Zelenka
Tomas Verner
Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari
Emanuel Sandhu
Sergei Davydov
Takeshi Honda
Daisuke Takahashi

Katia Gordeeva
Shizuka Arakawa
Sasha Cohen
Irina Slutskaya (early career)
Maria Butyrskaya
Susanna Poykio
Annette Dytrt
Julia Lautowa
Victoria Pavuk
Dan Fang
Yukina Ota
Michelle Kwan
Yuka Sato
Oksana Baiul
Galina Maniachenko

Shen&Zhao, Pang&Tong, Berezhnaya&Sikharulidze, Zhang&Zhang, Hinzmann&Parchem, Wakamatsu&Fecteau

Denkova&Staviyski, Faiella&Scali, Belbin&Agosto, Hoffmann&Elek, Chait&Shakhnovski, Gregory&Petukhov

Last edited: