2014-2015 National Championships Predictions Game (Rules) | Golden Skate

2014-2015 National Championships Predictions Game (Rules)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
As it is only 10 days until the start of the German Championships, and the entry lists have now been announced, it seemed an appropriate time to get the 2014 – 2015 National Championships Predictions Game underway.

After starting a consultation, and having thought about the opinions expressed, I have decided to do things a little bit different this season. Not vastly different, you will be glad to hear. Only slightly.

The Rules are still largely the same as for the GP Predictions Game. So, like last year, I will use tulosai’s explanation as the basis, but will not use quotes this time as I have added a few clauses.

Rules (pretty much the same as last year):

1. Guess the top 6 finisher in each discipline at each National Championship. Each event will have it's own dedicated thread in which to make predictions. For handiness, I will provide a list of the entries in the first post in each of these threads.

2. Only the top 5 guesses of each person will be scored. The 6th person you guess will be an alternate in case one of the 5 skaters you pick withdraws or can't compete at the last minute.

Competitions With Small Entries
    • If there are 5 or more entries, then the Predictions Game will carry on as per the usual rules.
    • If there are 3 or 4 entries in a competition, then we will make predictions on just the podium positions (if there is a 4[SUP]th[/SUP] entry, that will be the alternate).
    • If there are 1 or 2 entries in a competition, then that category will not count towards the Game.

3. You can change or make your predictions until one hour before the first event at each grand prix event starts. If the pairs are first and they start at 7pm EST, you have until 6pm EST to make all predictions.
Late Entries

• In the event of predictions being submitted late, only those predictions for competitions that have not yet started will count.

So, using the German SP timetable (Dance, then Men's, then Pairs and finally Ladies) as an example:

If you submit your predictions in between Men's and Pairs, then your predictions for BOTH Pairs and Ladies will count towards the Game.

If you submit your predictions during the Pairs competition (even if your skaters have not yet taken to the ice), then ONLY your predictions for Ladies will count towards the Game.​

Scoring

Each correct guess is worth 15 points. If you guess Mao will be first and she is first, that is 15 points. If you guess Mirai is 5th and she is 5th, that is 15 points.

Each guess that is one placement off is worth 10 points. If you guess Ashley is 2nd and she is 1st, you get 10 points. If you guess Gracie is 5th and she is 6th, you get 10 points.

Each guess that is two placements off is worth 5 points. If you guess Akiko is 4th and she in 2nd, you get 5 points. If you guess Tukt is 3rd and she is 5th you get 5 points.

Non-Scoring Rounds

There were some Championships that I was dithering about including in the Predictions Game because they were on at the same time as other rounds that are part of the Game. As some members have specifically said that they want to predict on these rounds, I have compromised by making them “Non-Scoring Rounds”. Basically, you can predict on them for fun if you want, but they will not count towards the final Game score.​

So, after careful consideration, these are the Championships that have been selected as rounds for the Predictions Game:

National Championships Game

Round 1: German Nationals (12[SUP]th[/SUP] – 14[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2014)
Round 2: French Nationals (18[SUP]th[/SUP] – 21[SUP]st[/SUP] December 2014)
N/S Round: Four Nationals (19[SUP]th[/SUP] – 21[SUP]st[/SUP] December 2014)
Round 3: Italian Nationals (20[SUP]th[/SUP] – 21[SUP]st[/SUP] December 2014)
Round 4: Russian Nationals (24[SUP]th[/SUP] – 28[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2014)
Round 5: Japanese Nationals (25[SUP]th[/SUP] – 28[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2014)
N/S Round: Chinese Nationals (27[SUP]th[/SUP] – 28[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2014)
Round 6: Canadian Nationals (23[SUP]rd[/SUP] – 25[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2015)
Round 7: American Nationals (23[SUP]rd[/SUP] – 25[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2015)

This thread will be available for general discussion about the game, and for analysing how the game is progressing. But, please keep the predictions and subsequent discussion about each event in the specific thread for that event:

German Championships: Predictions Game Round 1
French Championships: Predictions Game Round 2
Four Nationals Championships: Predictions Game (N/S Round)
Italian Championships: Predictions Game Round 3
Russian Championships: Predictions Game Round 4
Japanese Championships: Predictions Game Round 5
Chinese Championships: Predictions Game (N/S Round)
Canadian Championships: Predictions Game Round 6
American Championships: Predictions Game Round 7

Thank you so much to Mrs. P and the scorers of this year’s GP Game for making it such a success. This new game would not have been possible without you!

Good luck everybody!

CaroLiza_fan

EDIT (12[SUP]th[/SUP] Dec 2014): The spreadsheet is now up and running, and can be found at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rfTGMqsaeRsxdiDGrqq-k3ePh3Vp3XE3ipoq_RKlZEM/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just wanted to let you know that we now have our scorers finalised for the Nationals Game.

Ladies: satine94
Men's: rosacotton
Pairs: cjmorton29
Dance: tulosai

We also have 2 reserve scorers: Li'Kitsu and guenever, both of whom were scorers during last season's Nationals and ISU Championships Games.

Given that there are a number of weeks where we have multiple National Championships, there will probably be times when we will be extremely grateful of some extra help. So, thank you for offering your services.

I will be making out the spreadsheet over the next few days. So, I will post another update with the link when that is complete.

And just remember, the first round of the National Championships Predictions Game, the German Championships, is held this weekend, i.e. at the same time as the Grand Prix Final. So, please be aware of this.

Good luck to everybody

CaroLiza_fan

Mentalopes

Rinkside
I don't get why there are non-scoring events... that takes all the fun and the sense to me. I know that in some events we don't know most of the skaters but is a good way to pay attention to those skaters.

I know that the rules are settled but I just wanted to give me opinion

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I don't get why there are non-scoring events... that takes all the fun and the sense to me. I know that in some events we don't know most of the skaters but is a good way to pay attention to those skaters.

I know that the rules are settled but I just wanted to give me opinion

Oh, don't worry, I am not happy about this either. If I had my way, all the Championships I mentioned would count towards the final score!

Unfortunately, when I was proposing the Game again this year, a lot of members wanted to have even less rounds - just the Russian, Japanese, American and Canadian Championships. So, I had to compromise in some way, and this seemed the best way.

This is the first time I have taken an interest in the German, French and Four Nationals Championships before they have happened. So, I don't know how good they are in putting out all the information we need in advance. So, this season is just testing the water.

But, if they are prompt enough this season, I have every intention of including Four Nationals in the Predictions Game next season.

As for Chinese Championships, although we had lots of problems getting information last year, we managed alright.

The problem this year is that the dates of the Chinese and Japanese Championships have changed. It simply would not be fair to ask people to make predictions on 3 Championships at the same time. Or to ask the scorers to score 3 Championships at the same time.

But, if they dates are more favourable next season, I would gladly restore the Chinese to the Predictions Game.

So, don't worry, I don't like this situation either. But, when you make the decision to consult with the other members to find out their opinions, you can't really be a total dictator and ignore their opinions completely. You have to compromise.

CaroLiza_fan

Mentalopes

Rinkside
Oh, don't worry, I am not happy about this either. If I had my way, all the Championships I mentioned would count towards the final score!

Unfortunately, when I was proposing the Game again this year, a lot of members wanted to have even less rounds - just the Russian, Japanese, American and Canadian Championships. So, I had to compromise in some way, and this seemed the best way.

This is the first time I have taken an interest in the German, French and Four Nationals Championships before they have happened. So, I don't know how good they are in putting out all the information we need in advance. So, this season is just testing the water.

But, if they are prompt enough this season, I have every intention of including Four Nationals in the Predictions Game next season.

As for Chinese Championships, although we had lots of problems getting information last year, we managed alright.

The problem this year is that the dates of the Chinese and Japanese Championships have changed. It simply would not be fair to ask people to make predictions on 3 Championships at the same time. Or to ask the scorers to score 3 Championships at the same time.

But, if they dates are more favourable next season, I would gladly restore the Chinese to the Predictions Game.

So, don't worry, I don't like this situation either. But, when you make the decision to consult with the other members to find out their opinions, you can't really be a total dictator and ignore their opinions completely. You have to compromise.

CaroLiza_fan

Thank you for answering and for explaining. :)

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Ready to be reserve scorer too, if you will ever need one more :) Have some experience now.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ready to be reserve scorer too, if you will ever need one more :) Have some experience now.

Hey, if you're looking for scorers, I can be a reserve too....

That would be great. The regular scorers have all said they will be fine for doing both French and Italian Championships this weekend, so the reserves should not be needed just yet.

But, we are fully expecting that more players will join the Game for Russian and Japanese Championships the following week. So, given everything else that is happening that week (i.e. Christmas!), I thought it wouldn't be fair to ask the regular team to score both.

Consequently, we were actually planning to have 2 teams of scorers on the go that week, but were trying to work out how to divide it up. But, if you two do want to come on board, that would make things a lot simpler, as then there will be 2 full teams in place!

I'll send you both PM's shortly just to confirm everything.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
I want to thank you for all the work you put into this guys. Its my first "competitive" season and I wish everyone a lot of luck and I will try to provide links to my articles if a skater appearing at nationals was once mentioned there to maybe help a bit with some background info.

Weathergal

Medalist
CaroLiza Fan,
What a great idea! I've been shy about dipping my toes into the water, but I'd love to participate. Is it too late to jump in and play just U.S. and Canadian Nationals (knowing, of course, I'd in no way be in the running for the complete contest--not that I would anyway!). If not, perhaps I could try the game again if you do it for Europeans, 4Cs, and/or Worlds?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
CaroLiza Fan,
What a great idea! I've been shy about dipping my toes into the water, but I'd love to participate. Is it too late to jump in and play just U.S. and Canadian Nationals (knowing, of course, I'd in no way be in the running for the complete contest--not that I would anyway!). If not, perhaps I could try the game again if you do it for Europeans, 4Cs, and/or Worlds?

Awww, there's no need to be shy. You would be more than welcome to join in.

OK, so the overall win is probably a bit out of reach. But, you never know what can happen. Hey, when we first played the Game last season, the first round was the Italian Championships, and I knew hardly anybody competing. But I still somehow managed to get a perfect score in the Men's category!

As for your other point. Well, there have been quite a few people hinting that they want the ISU Championships Game to go ahead. So, I will start work on it shortly.

But first, I want to catch up on the videos from the Japanese Championship (So far, I've only seen the Men's SP). I really want to leave a comment in the Machida retiring thread, but I'm scared to go in there in case I see the results! :laugh:

We look forward to having you play

CaroLiza_fan

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
As for your other point. Well, there have been quite a few people hinting that they want the ISU Championships Game to go ahead. So, I will start work on it shortly. CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan, hurry already with the USA and Canada. I want to start predicting :laugh2:! Ok, just kidding. Please do the ISU championships, that way I can look forward to 5 more prediction games! I know it is lots of hard work, but it is so much fun too…SO, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU AND THE OTHER ORGANIZER DO!

Weathergal

Medalist
Awww, there's no need to be shy. You would be more than welcome to join in.

OK, so the overall win is probably a bit out of reach. But, you never know what can happen. Hey, when we first played the Game last season, the first round was the Italian Championships, and I knew hardly anybody competing. But I still somehow managed to get a perfect score in the Men's category!

As for your other point. Well, there have been quite a few people hinting that they want the ISU Championships Game to go ahead. So, I will start work on it shortly.

But first, I want to catch up on the videos from the Japanese Championship (So far, I've only seen the Men's SP). I really want to leave a comment in the Machida retiring thread, but I'm scared to go in there in case I see the results! :laugh:

We look forward to having you play

CaroLiza_fan

Thank you so much for your kind post! Looking forward to playing!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
CaroLiza_fan, hurry already with the USA and Canada. I want to start predicting :laugh2:! Ok, just kidding. Please do the ISU championships, that way I can look forward to 5 more prediction games! I know it is lots of hard work, but it is so much fun too…SO, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU AND THE OTHER ORGANIZER DO!

Just so that you know, I was waiting until we had official entry lists before I created the Predictions threads.

Skate Canada released the entry lists for the Canadian Championships yesterday, so I have now created the Predictions thread.

The USFS still haven't released the entry lists for the American Championships (well, I suppose there are 16 more days to go until the Senior competitions start).

Yesterday morning, skateluvr started a thread where members can discuss their predictions and wishes for the American Championships in The Edge. And I thought this was a good idea, to start people thinking about it now while we are waiting for official entry lists.

HOWEVER, yesterday afternoon the Mods moved skateluvr's discussion thread to the American Championships sub-forum. And since then, some members have started posting their predictions for the Nationals Game in that thread.

Consequently, to avoid any further confusion, I have gone on ahead and started the Predictions thead for the Nationals Game, even though there are still no official entry lists yet.

Please Note: Although there was no overlap between the Senior competitions at the American and Canadian National Championships last year, unfortunately there is this year. The Canadian Competitions are being held on Friday 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] and Saturday 24[SUP]th[/SUP] January, with the Gala on the Sunday afternoon. In America, the competitions are being held on all 3 days (23[SUP]rd[/SUP], 24[SUP]th[/SUP] and 25[SUP]th[/SUP]), with the Gala on Sunday evening.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: