Sergei Voronov | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Sergei Voronov

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I just went to check the ISU World Standings out of curiosity and Sergei has rocketed up to 2nd place after Yuzuru. :eek: Gee, how did he ever manage that with his empty, transition-free, artistry-free programs? :p Javier is in 3rd - Kovtun 7th. Sergei is also still #1 on the Season's Best list.

Good job, silver fox!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I just went to check the ISU World Standings out of curiosity and Sergei has rocketed up to 2nd place after Yuzuru. :eek: Gee, how did he ever manage that with his empty, transition-free, artistry-free programs? :p Javier is in 3rd - Kovtun 7th. Sergei is also still #1 on the Season's Best list.

Good job, silver fox!

He got some extra points doing the Challenger Series which Kovtun, Fernandez (in the case of Season's best ranking) did not do.

In any case, congrats to Voronov for his 2nd consective European medal! :cheer:

LRK

Record Breaker

Good job, silver fox!

Bravo, indeed!:)

Oh, OT - but... Petrov is the highest ranked junior.:)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Yes, it's really interesting how much his St. Petersburg time mirrors Plushy's, with the poor living conditions. And the way Plushy took him under his wing is just like the way Sasha Abt did with Plushy. Of course his career can never come close to Plushy's, but so many of these skaters have sacrificed more than most people can understand. That's a big reason why I root for the Russians (most of them, anyway ;) ).

And with all of the competitions he's done this season, I can understand why he is tired. It's one thing for Liza, who is nearly a decade younger than him, and I don't even know how she isn't burned out.

bwayrose7

On the Ice
Somewhere along the line, Sergei has become one of my favorite skaters. I'm no technician, I just find him so much fun to watch, and I love that he shows some real personality- it's charming and sassy and so enjoyable! So thrilled for his continued success!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Sergei has done very well for himself this season. As fans, we wish for too much... but though Sergei had "only" a bronze at Europeans, he also managed two GP silvers, his first GPF trip, and a medal at said GPF! I think that more than makes up the difference.

Alba

Record Breaker
Sorry...maybe it's because his Instagram is set to private.

Here it is:

http://i.imgur.com/Nn3vufq.jpg

That's nice. :biggrin: It's funny because reading his interview he was saying:

I moved to St. Petersburg where mother and I were living in a shared flat. After a 3 rooms flat in Moscow it was quite a challenge for a 12y.o. kid. But if I haven't lived through that I wouldn't be where I am now. I learned a lot. Besides, it's not as is if I was well received in St. Petersburg. The only one who treated me well was Pluschenko. I joined Galina Kashina's group and Mishin would let me skate on the same ice with Pluschenko. It was the only good thing. I would get all the bad glances in the dressing room and would hear `go back to your Moscow!'

If anyone's going to do a buttspin, I'm ok with it being him. :slink:

:laugh2::thumbsup:

Alba

Record Breaker
another extract:
I will never forget one of those moments when I took silver in Junior Worlds, came back to that room my mother and I were renting in the shared flat. Excuse me for details, but the shower was kind of funny - it was a very old building, built by the Germans before the revolution for workers. A huge room, high ceilings, wide window. Anyway, there was a toilet, a normal and quite clean one, but instead of a shower there was a pipe connected to a wall and a hole in the concrete floor. Those were the conditions in which I became 2nd in Junior worlds. I came back and told my mother `It would be funny to see Patrick Chan or Takahiko Kozuka find out where I take showers. They probably wouldn't believe such things existed'. Those were the conditions I wanted to get out from. I wanted to live normally and have a normal shower. It was stimulating. Fortunately I have a normal flat now. with a normal shower and no holes in the floor. This is what you should get to, this is what I want my future children to try. I don't want them to live a life of `my father is this or that' but to understand in order to get somewhere in life you have to work hard. There are thousands of stories like mine. And, unfortunately, many of them are much tougher than mine.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Poster umronnie on the FSU forum has been tracking quad landing success rates of all the men for awhile. Can you guess whose success rate is the highest? Voronov at 95%! He has Yagudin at 90%, Plushenko at 85% (granted, Plushenko's career is/was insanely long so some volatility is to be expected), Javier at 85%, Menshov 87%, Kovtun 83%. Denis Ten - 56%. Just thought it was interesting after reading some comments on the 4CC thread about some of the Euro guys being "second tier" skaters. :rolleye:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Not to be mean to Sergei or something, but I have serious issues with the way quad success rate is calculated there. From what I understand, messy landings/hand downs/step-outs are all counted, as long as it's not bad enough to get straight -3. Also, doubled/tripled quads aren't counted as failures.

I personally don't count a quad as a success unless it's landed "6.0 clean": one foot, nothing else touches the ice. Not sure what it does to Sergei's record, but Kovtun's, Yagudin's, and Javier's would likely drop significantly.

Noolan

On the Ice
There's actually a pretty cool Japanese database where you can see all sort of information on skaters, including the success rates of different jumps (it's right there at the bottom of the page, if you click on the "+" next to a jump, you see the specific scores)
Here's Voronov: http://skatedb.net/modules/skateDB/index.php?page=player&playerid=371
Kovtun: http://skatedb.net/modules/skateDB/index.php?page=player&playerid=800

Doesn't cover the old results, so no complete entries for Plushenko and Yagudin.