Sergei Voronov | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Sergei Voronov

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
he does!
to be fair he always does (even when he tried to mask the hotness with ridiculous costumes:biggrin:)

You can't hide any of it in skintight pleather. ;) I'm really going to miss that costume!

I blame Morozov for most of the worst costumes. It was interesting that Eteri said she had wanted to take him back when he left Urmanov. What a shame he went with Morozov - I consider those the "lost years," in a way. Of course, nobody can change the past and look at him now. All's well that ends well...hopefully.

Last night I was looking at the Wiki page for the 2008 Worlds, where he had his highest placement of 7th place...ahead of Chan, Kozuka, and Abbott, to name a few (and Javi didn't even make the free skate!). Granted, the skating landscape has changed a lot since then, but Sergei has changed and improved too, so we'll see. What I found really interesting was that he was 15th in the SP there and 4th in the free skate. I know he is a fighter, otherwise he wouldn't still be around after all these years & so many disappointments.

OT - the page says that Brian Joubert complained about the winner (Buttle) not having a quad - I wasn't following skating back then, so I don't remember...did he catch the same kind of flack that Plushy did after Vancouver?

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Well, Sergei has survived the pressure of the media, as an athlete, for so many years. Hopefully his experience will carry him through, and he'll be able to deliver two great skates at Worlds.

OT - the page says that Brian Joubert complained about the winner (Buttle) not having a quad - I wasn't following skating back then, so I don't remember...did he catch the same kind of flack that Plushy did after Vancouver?
I think there's an article (by Phil Hersh?) calling Brian "robotic" after 2009 Worlds SP, with quotes by Chan saying Brian's PCS are ridiculous and he (Chan) and Evan Lysacek :unsure: are on a totally different level. Seems like one kind of fallout from 2008...

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, there was an article with Chan calling Brian out on his comments from a year earlier - and then, amusingly, at the actual press conference, sitting side by side with Brian, he didn't have much to say. Brian's response to the question was that they "were there to skate, not to fight with journalists". :)

Since I didn't follow much online, I don't know what the "atmosphere" on online communities might have been at the time. But I'm guessing a lot of "he might have the jumps, but... " stuff probably came from that as well. It's not exactly comme il faut to like Brian, is it? And certainly not to like his skating style.

I'll tie this to Sergei by saying that I've always felt as if he stole the pleather outfit from Brian's closet. :)

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Since I didn't follow much online, I don't know what the "atmosphere" on online communities might have been at the time. But I'm guessing a lot of "he might have the jumps, but... " stuff probably came from that as well. It's not exactly comme il faut to like Brian, is it? And certainly not to like his skating style.

I'll tie this to Sergei by saying that I've always felt as if he stole the pleather outfit from Brian's closet. :)

So they have a few things in common, then. :laugh: Well, I couldn't care less if it's uncool to like "just jumpers"...not that I consider that an accurate label in most cases, anyway. There's still got to be some degree of showmanship or charisma to hold the audience's interest, I'd say, if not the official forum-approved definition of ~Artistry...

text_skate

🇺🇦
Medalist
Country
European-Union
Long interview with Sergei on fsrussia from Olga Ermolina: "Twenty years in figure skating can't be a habit"

roughly:
What did you do after Euros?
After some days I flew to Sotchi, relaxed, enjoyed the Olympic sites (looking at them), went to Abchasia, Suchumi. Weather was fine. Cleared my head.
It's about this World, the quads of his Hanyu, Fernandez and Kovtun.

OK, I think my translation skills aren't up to the task (from one foreign language to another).

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Good interview. I knew about some of his injuries in the past, but reading a list of them all, and thinking about all the times he has been shafted by the Russian Fed, I can't help but marvel at his incredible tenacity throughout the years. And as always he makes it a point to acknowledge those who have inspired him, like Plushy and Eteri.

I am excited to see him attempt 4S in the future - hopefully next season?

In the interviews he did after the SP, he said he had a lot of pain in his knee - makes me really nervous, but it explains why he looked slow and tentative. And yet, he still fought for everything. I would have put him in 3rd place, but as with every other competition this season, the judges will never be generous with him the way they are with others.

text_skate

🇺🇦
Medalist
Country
European-Union
Yeah, it's quite a list of injuries. And a list of coaches, too. I like how he gives each one credit for what he or she did. There are also glimpses of the difficult situation in St. Peterburg, when the family first moved there. I think it was the interview after Euros where he described living in a komunalka.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Good interview. I knew about some of his injuries in the past, but reading a list of them all, and thinking about all the times he has been shafted by the Russian Fed, I can't help but marvel at his incredible tenacity throughout the years. And as always he makes it a point to acknowledge those who have inspired him, like Plushy and Eteri.

I am excited to see him attempt 4S in the future - hopefully next season?

In the interviews he did after the SP, he said he had a lot of pain in his knee - makes me really nervous, but it explains why he looked slow and tentative. And yet, he still fought for everything. I would have put him in 3rd place, but as with every other competition this season, the judges will never be generous with him the way they are with others.

That reminded me, that we should have what Plushy said about Sergei just a few days ago in this thread:

"Plushenko said that especially a fan of Sergei Voronov: "We have long been familiar with Sergei, played a lot together. It's a very humble and talented skater.""

Excerpt from a longer piece first posted by plushyfan here:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ni-Plushenko&p=1121858&viewfull=1#post1121858

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
:love:great interview
& its always so nice wto read skaters & coaches complimenting 1 another :love:

& a usual shallow comments from me - He looked absolutely adorbs in the KnC in the Sp!! with all the hair sticking out & all :biggrin::love:

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Sometimes I really believe the Russian media wants to harm their athletes....

Absolutely. Look what they are doing with I&Z as well.
The Russian media is the worst I've seen in all honesty. Full of gossip and intrigue.:disapp: Thanks god Voronov is the type of guy who seem to doesn't care about this stuff. I love his character.
Good that Russia kept 2 spots, at least. He's improved and I hope next season he will be stronger.

Last edited:

borzaya

Final Flight
Poor Sergei :cry:
Horrible championship, in general... Crying about K/S, about I/Z and now about Sergei... :cry:

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
Poor Sergei :cry:
Horrible championship, in general... Crying about K/S, about I/Z and now about Sergei... :cry:
horrible indeed :cry::cry:
doubly sad to see it happen to such a great guy as Sergei

btw Anna is 13th too btw
Talk about unlucky numbers:bang:

at least Kovtun moved up

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
I just hope its more nerves than injury
please be healthy Serega!:cheer2:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Poor Sergei and he did so well in the short program!

Still! It's good to see someone break out at a rather old age (for skating).

I hope his knee heals up soon and he keeps wearing the pleather costumes :clap: