Another dumb joke stereotyping male skaters | Golden Skate

Another dumb joke stereotyping male skaters

John King

Final Flight
On Late Night With Dave Lettermen,he did his Top Ten List,about Top Ten Pick-up Lines by some Tennesse hockey team,one of them being,"Unlike those figure skating dudes,I am a real man!"

What will it take to counter a stereotype that should have retired long ago?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
John King said:
Intelligent people.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

dizzydi

On the Ice
Another dumb joke

This post got me started thinking......

Wouldn't fans of hockey, soccer, baseball, football, etc. be surprised at how many of their so-called heros are gay. And another question .......

Is the percentage of gays in other sports higher or lower than that of figureskating?

Then, of course, the biggest question of all

who cares??

Dizzy

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
John King said:
Is that the stereotype about male figure skaters or male Tennessee hockey players? ( :) )

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Dizzy, I don't know but I would suppose so. I think it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Since figure skating is considered a "girly" sport, certain people won't go into it. Of those that do, a bigger percentage is gay. I always thought of figure skating as being halfway between a sport like hockey, and dance. Correspondingly, the percentage of gays should be something in the middle.

Then, of course, the biggest question of all who cares??
Ahh, the million dollar question!

floskate

On the Ice

Oh a Universal Labotomy probably!! As a (fairly obvious) gay man I have had to put up with s#*! like this for most of my life. But I'm stronger because of it and the real downtimes I've had, I've been more of a man than those Tennessee jerks! I find it kinda funny really.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
now see, I didn't know you were gay... then again I haven't really gotten to know you... but I assumed differently...

proving, again, that those hockey light-weights don't know squat :laugh:

I'm just glad the Sprite commercial where a stereotypical male figure skating is getting pounded by hockey players is not being used anymore... it used to get me so mad

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
When I mentioned to my neighbor that I started taking skating lessons and that my coach was a man the first thing from her mouth was the "gay" thing and was he wearing spandex. So I set her straight and said no he is not gay (the guy is married and a father of two boys) and no he didn't have on spandex just a pair of pants, t-shirt and jacket. When will people quit sterotyping?

R

Rebecca

People have it all wrong... gay men should go into groping sports like wrestling and football... no figure skating! Not enough man on man action or butt rubbing in figure skating!

The stereotypes are so backwards. When, oh when will people realize that the so called "manly" sports are the most homosexual of all? ;)

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
floskate said:
Oh a Universal Labotomy probably!! As a (fairly obvious) gay man I have had to put up with s#*! like this for most of my life. But I'm stronger because of it and the real downtimes I've had, I've been more of a man than those Tennessee jerks! I find it kinda funny really.

go floskate!

anyhoo...after the shoutout...the real part of the post...

as a gay man myself (former skater)...i think it takes real guts to hurl yourself into the air WITHOUT THE AID OF PADS sometimes going 20 miles an hour, and land on the ice with something other than what you meant to land on, only to get up and do it again and again and again until it's right. another thing- a figure skater's locker room is full of GENTLEMEN who don't slap each other on the behind, or crack stupid redneck jokes.

it also takes a real man to admit their defeat; most of these "straight" men go crazy when they lose...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think straight and gay guys can both get really catty

which is where this thread is headed, I'm sure :laugh:

I think, in the USA especially, machoness will always rule... unfortunately. I mean Football has it's own holiday practically... Canada has Hockey... it's just how N. America is run... the bloodier the better. :(

Kasey

Medalist
I don't recall where I read this (maybe in a thread HERE in the past year!). But I recall something from Todd Eldredge, when he was talking about being made fun of when he was younger for being a male figure skater. He said something to the effect of "Yeah, it's the hockey players saying this about me. But really, come on. I get to be on the ice with Katerina Witt. They're on the ice with nine other 200 pound sweaty men. Who's got the better deal here?" (paraphrased, but the idea is intact). I loved it, and was thinking 'Right on Toddy!!!' :)

Kasey

John King

Final Flight
Rebecca said:
People have it all wrong... gay men should go into groping sports like wrestling and football... no figure skating! Not enough man on man action or butt rubbing in figure skating!

The stereotypes are so backwards. When, oh when will people realize that the so called "manly" sports are the most homosexual of all? ;)
There is a fair amount of truth to that.The stereotype of gay men as these effeminent flashy queens ignores the whole area of closteted gays(indeed,if they were all like that,then noone of them could hide in the closet).And,just as a gay man might go into figureskating as a way to express his sexuality,he might easily go into hockey,basketball or football as a way to repress himself!

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
John King said:
There is a fair amount of truth to that.The stereotype of gay men as these effeminent flashy queens ignores the whole area of closteted gays(indeed,if they were all like that,then noone of them could hide in the closet).And,just as a gay man might go into figureskating as a way to express his sexuality,he might easily go into hockey,basketball or football as a way to repress himself!

One can be out and play "butch" sports. I now play goalie on my city's gay soccer team, and let me tell you- we're men...who just happen to like other men.

Some of us even have smelly feet like real, straight men =P

R

Rebecca

Re: Re: Another dumb joke stereotyping male skaters

thisthingcalledlove said:

Some of us even have smelly feet like real, straight men =P

Say it ain't so!

My schema of homosexual males being the most pristine, devine creatures on earth - complete with feet that never need to be washed, yet always smell like roses - has forever been shattered!

It's not true... it just can't be true...

*covers her ears, closes her eyes, and sings really loudly in an effort to block out this obscure, contrary world view*

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
The charming stereotypes were evident at this year's Champions on Ice, in which the ice acrobats Besedin and Polishchuk portrayed "dancer" (literally written on his butt) Polishchuk and "hockey player" Besedin. Which had the crowd in stitches.

Wasn't there a recent item about a hockey player who committed some crime (I don't remember) against his male live-in "room mate" because the "room mate" threaten to out him.

I wish these goons would try to become at leass metrosexual. It's a life style that working well in NYC.

Joe

Here's a quote about it from the International Gay Hockey Players Association:

"The fact that Mike Danton [of the Saint Louis Blues] felt it was better to have someone murdered rather than be known as gay is a stunning statement about the depth of the homophobia that exists in professional hockey and other sports," said Jeff Kagan, commissioner of the International Gay and Lesbian Ice Hockey Association (IGLIHA).

Danton's lawyer says in a statement that Danton is not gay, but rather suffers from "mental health issues." I guess if you are a hockey player it is better to be criminally insane than to be gay.

Mathman

Last edited:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
My computer was down for almost 6 weeks, I sure missed the forum!

But, what a better topic to reply to after a long absence than this one, which concerns Mike Danton (a STL Blues player).

This story is very complicated, and Danton has some real personal issues. Just go to any hockey websites and you will see a number of stories devoted to this sad subject.

The "crime" was a conspiracy to commit a murder for hire. The victim appears to be his sports agent who apparently was staying in the apartment with Mike Danton. The sports agent has been banned from several junior leagues for his unhealthy influence on players, and for alleged brainwashing. A number of his protégées have completely dissociated themselves from their families. Danton himself went as far as to even legally change his name from Jefferson to Danton. (NJ hockey fan may recognize the name - he was with the Devils before being traded to STL). Anyways, the story is very nasty. There is nothing in it that deals with "gay issues" - it was some tabloid reports that made those statements (see Toronto Sun for example). Perhaps they were uncomfortable with the idea of "a manly hockey player" having a male roommate. It does not appear that that Frost character was his roommate.

I hope this helps,

Yana

Nothing wrong with a part-time stay over but then again there's nothing wrong with two guys sharing the same apartment for whatever reasons.

Joe