2014-2015 GPF Ladies Short Program 12/11 | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GPF Ladies Short Program 12/11

Like it or not, she is one of the great ladies last quads which should referenced in terms of scoring, over scoring and rule changes…

If the ISU really wanted to change the rules to elevate Mao Asada they would put more emphasis on artistic qualities, not less.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Sasha Cohen had the best flutz of them all
Nah, she'd fall on it too often in the important competitions. Asada's flutz is always landed very nicely, I don't remember her missing it once last season. Unless you're talking about the depth of the inside edge? Tara and possibly Mao still win.

May be Chairmanmao can petition ISU to allow it as 7th triple, and call it Maotz or some thing. So all skaters have to do 3lutz as well as Maotz (3flutz) and make sure they are the wrong (except right) edge accordingly! (Yiipppee fun with the technical controller) I am sure this can totally bring Mao back again to the PyeongChang 2014... imagine 6.5 type of triples in her Rach 2 (Let's face it, it is the best FS of her career... and she is someone who repeat her best programs). Another Guinness book of record for sure, half a triple better than Midori!

While I am all for naming new things after Mao Asada like my pet dog, my pet goldfish, and my new air conditioner, I do not see the justification for naming it the Maotz as she was not the originator. Kristi Yamaguchi was landing beautiful 3Flutzes in combination 20 years earlier. And there are more important rule changes to make, like having the 3Loop be worth 10 points when done as the 2nd jump in a combination. That way when it gets an unjustified < it'll still be worth the 7 points it deserves. I mean, having a 3Lutz-3Loop still only worth a measly 1 point more than 3Lz-3T? I suppose next we'll be allowing skaters to do 3 double Axels, making them worth 3.5BV, and giving them automatic +3 GOE with a 1.0 GOE multiplier.

1. That it is an insult say Mao's flutz is her best jump.
2. The Russian wonder babies don't deserve higher PCS than her and Carolina circa 2010/2011/2012 (4+ years veterans already with established works/performances to justify them) when they are very much early in their career and have not displayed the maturity and polish to warrant the marks, nor the quality of programs.
3. Her inclusion in the Guinness book of record accolades and extend her legendary status.
4. Continuing the tradition of getting rule changed for the betterment of her apparent 'superiority'. If her bots can do it, why can't someone else?
1. I wouldn't say insult, possibly inaccurate but after all it's the jump she never missed last season. 3T< a few times, 3S doubled at NHK, even 3Lo was doubled in her Sochi SP, 3F< on her Sochi SP, 3A missed early in the season, hell she even had a step out on her 2A once but her 3flutz stands alone with the 100% hit rate.
2. Yeah right? Remember 2007-08 when Yuna set that world record with 7 triples and what, 60 PCS? :rofl: And that 2007 GPF where Asada had a laughable 59 PCS compared to 73 TES? It's insulting to even bring in 2010 when 2007-08 is the real benchmark here. That's the proper comparison as Kim/Asada were in their 2nd/2.5nd senior seasons, and Carolina in her what, 5th (and she was a late bloomer so it was really more like her 1st)? Russian wunderkinder still wouldn't match that either IMO. I'm sure they were a damn sight better than these programs. If we go by the harsh standards of that season the GPF PCS would be around a 57 average. As deserved.
3. Again agreed.
4. Well the previous rules failed to demonstrate her superiority properly. So it was only fair to change them. Much like 3-3 > 3-2, 3A>2A. And much like 3.5>3, 3.5< = 3, as anyone with fairness in mind will attest.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
If the ISU really wanted to change the rules to elevate Mao Asada they would put more emphasis on artistic qualities, not less.

Well they SHOULD done that especially now Yuna is no longer competing (if they had done that before, the gap might have widened).

They should have done that anyway since figure skating is both Art and Sport. Originality, creativity, quality, versatility, difficulty, complexity, transcendence, authenticity, personal breakthroughs are not nearly given the credits they deserve in this sport, when they are usually the MOST important thing in art.

Last edited:
Originality, creativity, quality, versatility, difficulty, transcendence, authenticity, personal breakthroughs are not nearly given the credit it deserve in this sport, when they are usually the MOST important thing in art.

You are preaching to the choir. :)

But Mao Asada was without question one of the best of her generation in terms of the qualities that you list -- better, I would say, than anyone competing this year.

(Now I have forgotten what the argument was about -- but just for the record, Yuna Kim had that "transcendence" bullet nailed. ;) )