Interview w/ Boyang Jin: "I want to show better skating in the final" | Golden Skate

Interview w/ Boyang Jin: "I want to show better skating in the final"

pandaatlarge

On the Ice
Interview w/ Boyang Jin: "I want to show better skating in the final"

Originally posted in Hupu Sports in Chinese.
Interviewed, written and translated by pandaatlarge

Boyang Jin: "I want to show better skating in the final"

In a few minutes, 2014/15 ISU Junior Grand Prix Final (JGPF) is going to start in Barcelona. Figure skating fans are expecting a fierce competition in the Men’s Singles, and among the 6 young skaters, defending champion Boyang Jin, who remains undefeated this season, is without any doubt the one to watch.

After winning Ljubljana Cup in Aug and Nagoya TV Cup in Sep, beating his biggest rivals Alexander Petrov from Russia and Shoma Uno from Japan, Jin didn’t show up in front of audience until last month when he was invited to Senior Grand Prix Cup of China Gala. There he performed his Short Program this season “Tango Amore”, and received standing ovation from many of the audience. After the performance, I was able to do an exclusive interview with him in the Mixed Zone, and asked his expectation going into the final.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Me: What a wonderful performance! Congratulations on qualifying for the Jr. Grand Prix Final in Barcelona! Regarding this competition, not only fans in China, but also fans around the world are talking about the competition between you, Shoma Uno from Japan and Alexander Petrov from Russia. Now there is one month left, what’s your expectation towards your performance in the final?

Jin: I need to do more practice on skating in my everyday training, and make some adjustment. Before the final I need to improve my skating skills, and make my jumps more consistent.

Me: In Junior competition your quads is a huge advantage. Compared to the other two skaters (Petrov and Uno), in terms of difficulty and technical area, what do you think you could further improve?

Jin: From technical perspective I may need to land more big jumps (he used the word “full饱” in Chinese here, which does not mean “fully rotated” in Chinese, but refers to the meaning of beautiful jumps with scale). But more importantly I need to raise my scores in all 5 components, only then can I improve my total scores a lot.

Me: I think you must be very tired now, so last question. We all know that “Tango Amore” is a masterpiece by Plushenko, is he your idol? Who else?

Jin: Yes Plushenko is my idol, and Yagudin and Hanyu. These three are my idols.

Me: What of them are you attracted to?

Jin: Jumps.
-----------------------------------------------

It was not a long interview, and Jin didn’t speak much. But his point is very clear: he wants to improve his skating skills, so as to increase overall PCS. Looking at the protocols of Nagoya TV Cup, his biggest rival Shoma Uno skated well and received 6.4pts more than him in PCS, a gap that’s even higher than the basic value of a Triple Lutz. Despite he won that event by strong technical scores with extremely high BV in his age, he is clear that only through building consistency in jumps and more importantly polishing basic skating skills can he remain constantly competitive in the years to come.

Tonight, Jin is going to defend his title. One month after the interview, I am looking forward to his better skating, consistent jumps, and strong performance.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Thank you for the interview. It's good he knows he needs to work on jump consistency, GOE, and PCS. I think Boyang has shown some improvement in the JGPF SP compared to the JGPs.

His SP is still baffling to me though. It's not really badly choreographed per se (and is a whole program, unlike his LP)... but I just wish he'd waited a few years to try it. Not until he's 27 or something--just until he looks like an adult. :)

noidont

Final Flight
He always looks to me to have a mature face but a pre-puberty body. It's very weird. He makes me wish there are separate medal-awarding jump contests so I don't have to watch him trying to dance.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Me: I think you must be very tired now, so last question. We all know that “Tango Amore” is a masterpiece by Plushenko, is he your idol? Who else?

Jin: Yes Plushenko is my idol, and Yagudin and Hanyu. These three are my idols.

Me: What of them are you attracted to?

Jin: Jumps.

What a shock. :laugh: Although I am not a huge fan of his style right now, if he works on becoming more well-rounded and polished, I think he will be interesting to watch in seniors. At least he has good taste in idols, so that's a start. :)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I have the same observation for Satoko: little girl's body and a very mature face, which is a strange combo to me too. :laugh:
He always looks to me to have a mature face but a pre-puberty body. It's very weird. He makes me wish there are separate medal-awarding jump contests so I don't have to watch him trying to dance.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
What a shock. :laugh: Although I am not a huge fan of his style right now, if he works on becoming more well-rounded and polished, I think he will be interesting to watch in seniors. At least he has good taste in idols, so that's a start. :)
B-but... how many programs do Plushenko, Yagudin, and Hanyu have put together? Why did he have to choose the least appropriate music choice of them all? :hopelessness: (Now watch as he reads this and decides to turn One Banana into a competitive program next season. :drama:)

apple123

On the Ice
B-but... how many programs do Plushenko, Yagudin, and Hanyu have put together? Why did he have to choose the least appropriate music choice of them all? :hopelessness: (Now watch as he reads this and decides to turn One Banana into a competitive program next season. :drama:)

I actually think the choice is not bad. He seems to express himself better than ever. I think juniors should broaden their music range. Didn't Kwan skate to Salome at the tender age of 15? Nobody said it's inappropriate back then. So we should keep an open mind.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I actually think the choice is not bad. He seems to express himself better than ever. I think juniors should broaden their music range. Didn't Kwan skate to Salome at the tender age of 15? Nobody said it's inappropriate back then. So we should keep an open mind.
The problem isn't his age alone. The problem is his skating (and appearance) can't quite pull off the program yet. That doesn't mean he's a lesser skater for it--just that he needs something more fitting for the time being, imo.

That being said, I was being melodramatic (a poor attempt at humour; my apologies) in the above post. It is a coherent program, and he committed to his choreography. So I guess in that sense, it is a step in the right direction.