2014-2015 GPF Pairs Free Skate 12/13 | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GPF Pairs Free Skate 12/13

beki

Medalist
I like the end of S/K's program, the way it builds to the throw, but I find the beginning too cold and serious. Trankov said they have harder tech, I wonder if they will decide to use it earlier than they planned.

It seems like pairs is coming out of its initial IJS slump, and there is excitement again. The sport is moving forward with some pairs attempting quad twists and throws. The lifts are looking less hideous (still too many catchfoots).

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Love all the 3 pairs on the podium !!
S\H very deserving chinese pair, Terrific throws!
S\K great as ever, unmatched consistency, Klimov is a cutie ;)
D\R they are absolutely golden, one mistake but so much to adore, Formidable technically and SOOO improved artistically!
They can do quads and lutzes and still pay attention to the music and the audience, Absolutely great stuff.

R.I.P. for pairs figure skating!

If D/R will be world champions this year, I am quite sad

:unsure:

Trankov is not impressed

Well... Better pack everything up and go home then.

They barely got less PCS. It's a joke.

Oh well, we have years of this to look forward to.

Better get used to it i guess ;) D\R are pretty motivated and just getting better, They might not get everything
but they'll probably be in the mix for a while.

Last edited:

beabstress

On the Ice
As someone who has watched very little pairs since 2010, I must say I found this event very exciting and it makes me want to watch more pairs.

I can't get into the debates you are having about S/K versus D/R (or even versus various Chinese couples) because I haven't watched much for so long (just my two or three favorites over the last few years). I will say that I find S/K's smootheness, flow, lines, transitions and positions to be really eye catching. It was also nice to see good unison in side by side spins - when I last watched pairs, the spins had gone to hell even in the best couples at times. I also found D/R energy and big tricks to be very 'wow'! For me, each displayed a different kind of connection - the latter a sort of energetic enthusiasm that I found really fun to watch. I was so happy to see them happy!

It was also great to see the various Chinese couples...lot's there to work on/with and I enjoyed it!

anyway, this was a blast for me and I might just be back to watching pairs!

I love the positive tone of this post! I'm primarily a dance fan, but the pairs are sucking me right in this season. Much variety, much excellence.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
The fact that some people think that Ice Dance is Pairs without big tricks is kinda disturbing :disapp:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Can we have one event that is won by CAN where posters are happy for them and not constantly running them down. Jeff Buttle wins worlds without a Quad and the comments are that he shouldn't have won over someone with more TECH content. Now D/R win with more Tech content and they shouldn't have. Why not just come out and say it - no CAN should ever win.

These are different people! Artistry people and tech people.

bellafurr

On the Ice
This is the thread you come to read to find out how Canadians skated and when you read all the bashing you know the did really well, lol.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Regarding the addition of new diffulcult elements, I find these quotes by Eric and Megan interesting:

Radford doesn’t feel it’s such a big risk as they practice the element day in and day out, however, he acknowledges that doing it in competition is much different than doing it in practice.

“We can only learn to do it in competition by doing it in competition,” he pointed out, “and also by making mistakes in competition. Then we know for next time what we need to change. I think result-wise, it could be the difference between first and second at Worlds.”

The 2013 Four Continents champions missed the element at their last event in Osaka, Japan, and learned that they needed to make a few adjustments—make it a bit smaller.

“With adrenalin in competition, I think we give too much to the throw than we do on a regular practice,” explained Duhamel. “So we’re learning how to control our adrenalin when we’re going into it. In Japan, I had a lot of expectation to land it perfectly, and in turn, it made me try too hard. It sometimes overrotates a little bit.”

MIM

Medalist
As someone who has watched very little pairs since 2010, I must say I found this event very exciting and it makes me want to watch more pairs.

I can't get into the debates you are having about S/K versus D/R (or even versus various Chinese couples) because I haven't watched much for so long (just my two or three favorites over the last few years). I will say that I find S/K's smootheness, flow, lines, transitions and positions to be really eye catching. It was also nice to see good unison in side by side spins - when I last watched pairs, the spins had gone to hell even in the best couples at times. I also found D/R energy and big tricks to be very 'wow'! For me, each displayed a different kind of connection - the latter a sort of energetic enthusiasm that I found really fun to watch. I was so happy to see them happy!

It was also great to see the various Chinese couples...lot's there to work on/with and I enjoyed it!

anyway, this was a blast for me and I might just be back to watching pairs!

This:)
I was not following pairs as much as other disciplines. But this event plus Dylan and Lubov's debute really got my attention. I was struggling to get a live feed and only able to watch D/R. They started subdued but cought up the energy and enthusiasm towards the end. When they finished, I was deeply touched. It was a good sport for them to win.

Then I watched the pair event this morning. Very impressed by every team. With some sbs jump mistakes, they all - brought their A game. S/k definitely stood out with their theatrical program. They were living in the moments and deservedly won my heart. D/R after watching S/K seemed element-to-element frankly. But they won gold deservedly.

I also liked three chinese teams especially the ladies.

gnom

On the Ice
That was the best pairs event in a long time and the best part of the whole GPF. Each couple skated so well so that e.g. Kavaguti/Smirnov had no chance to move up with a performance that would have granted them a podium finish at most other competitions. Having seen it live I have to admit that I was most touched by Peng/Zhang even though I did not like them very much in the past. I have spotted some finesses in the choreography I haven't been aware of before. The atmosphere in the rink was really great, culminating in Duhamel/Radfords performance. Great to witness their victory. Keep it up, pairs!
On a side note - after having seen a video of Savchenko/Brunot - I highly doubt they are capable of keeping up with the level of the Chinese/Canadian/Russian pairs.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
This is the thread you come to read to find out how Canadians skated and when you read all the bashing you know the did really well, lol.

:agree: How dare D/R beat the Russians. When the bashing starts you can be sure someone is uneasy ...

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I only watched the GPF about 2 weeks ago & came to lurk here to see if maybe I am the only one who's disappointed about the D/R win
happy to see that Im not:)

R.I.P. for pairs figure skating! Not that I blame the winners...they did what they are good at!
I wouldn't be so pessimistic
We still have lots of pair skating except the champions :)
Acyually now Im 100% sure that D/R will win Worlds & at least Im prepared not to care
At least I can concentarte on the ART aka K/S & Pang/Tong:love::cheer2:

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
I only watched the GPF about 2 weeks ago & came to lurk here to see if maybe I am the only one who's disappointed about the D/R win
happy to se that Im not:)

now Im 100% sure that D/R will win Worlds & at least Im prepared not to care
At least I can concentarte on the ART aka K/S & Pang/Tong:love:

Same here - love both K/S and P/T - I'm so happy that they will be skating at Worlds'. Of course I wish them to do well - but mostly I'm wishing for beautiful, memorable skates. :)

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Same here - love both K/S and P/T - I'm so happy that they will be skating at Worlds'. Of course I wish them to do well - but mostly I'm wishing for beautiful, memorable skates.
haha its weird to see this thread alive:cheer:
I was sure that they become dead after the competitions:biggrin:
Pretty happy to see people that do prefer the artistic approach to pair stkating
But imo the harmony between ARt & great tech content can be achieved & that should be the goal for all the pairs

& strange opinions that D/R get critisized juts b/c they're Canadians :think:
Im russian but I sure not root for skaters based only on nationality...(I do dislike D/R & PChan so maybe that makes me anticanadian:rofl:)

& Go Trankov btw! Cant believe people are so visious to him when he just states his opinion/inside stories (& very politely I must admit at least in the GPF broadcasts I watched!):rock: