2014-2015 JGPF Ladies Free Skate 12/12 | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 JGPF Ladies Free Skate 12/12

gotoschool

Medalist
How does Wakaba not have good spins? She doesn't get Level 4 on all of them but her positions were fine and that layback was a great example of how to get Level 4 without doing an ugly Biellmann. Her facial expression is a little blank and she looks more concentrated on landing jumps, but the Russian girls didn't really impress me with their expression either.

She did miss her 3 jump combination which the difference in quality couldn't overcome, but yeah, the point difference for PCS was too much. At least they gave her the highest Skating Skills score. Definitely my order of preference was
1. Wakaba
2. Serafima (am I the only one who likes her more than Evgenia?)
3. Evgenia

I like Evgenia's skating better than Serafima's and I think Evgenia gave the best performance in terms of consistency in high quality across all categories: spins, steps, jumps (not as big as Wakaba's but just as beautiful), expression, posture, musicality and complex transitions. She isn't quite as fast as Wakaba or Serafima, but speed isn't the most important for me and Evgenia's speed and power are improving. I think she is also quite graceful and has good lines and extensions that are developing well, though not really a ballerina. I can see a composite of nice styles in Evgenia from Adelina Sotnikova in expressions and hand and arm positions to Elena Radinova in quick movements and transitions, but for me she is more graceful than Adelina and compared to Elena I think Evgenia has more symmetrical and bigger jumps with better posture and smoother more pleasing movements. Plus, she has my favorite tanos. For me, Evgenia is a true pleasure to watch and she fires on many different cylinders. I also feel a strong emotional connection to her skating.

I also love Maria's lines, extensions, spins, steps and expression. Hopefully, she can gain more consistency and jump as well as she did with her great triple lutz combo. Also, Wakaba's skating skills and beautiful jumps are really marvelous to watch. I would have placed her second. I like Serafima's speed and power and she has nice expression, but the hunched landings on her jumps and the fact that Wakaba and Evgenia have more beautiful air position does take away some from the aesthetic appeal of the performance for me. I do think she is a really good skater though and I appreciate her more than I did earlier this season.

Last edited:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
How does Wakaba not have good spins? She doesn't get Level 4 on all of them but her positions were fine and that layback was a great example of how to get Level 4 without doing an ugly Biellmann. Her facial expression is a little blank and she looks more concentrated on landing jumps, but the Russian girls didn't really impress me with their expression either.

She did miss her 3 jump combination which the difference in quality couldn't overcome, but yeah, the point difference for PCS was too much. At least they gave her the highest Skating Skills score. Definitely my order of preference was
1. Wakaba
2. Serafima (am I the only one who likes her more than Evgenia?)
3. Evgenia

I like Serafima. More so than Evgenia. I like her spins and her style is not bad. I would enjoy seeing more stability on the jump landings, and some more softness in her movements. I actually think she could really benefit from a different variety of music choice, something that is more bold perhaps to work on her expression.

I also agree with the fact Wakaba's spins are pretty good. They don't have contortionist positions but they are well centered and fast.

Last edited:

christinaskater

Medalist
I like Evgenia's skating better than Serafima's and I think Evgenia gave the best performance in terms of consistency in high quality across all categories: spins, steps, jumps (not as big as Wakaba's but just as beautiful), expression, posture, musicality and complex transitions. She isn't quite as fast as Wakaba or Serafima, but speed isn't the most important for me and Evgenia's speed and power are improving. I think she is also quite graceful and has good lines and extensions that are developing well, though not really a ballerina. I can see a composite of nice styles in Evgenia from Adelina Sotnikova in expressions and hand and arm positions to Elena Radinova in quick movements and transitions, but for me she is more graceful than Adelina and compared to Elena I think Evgenia has more symmetrical and bigger jumps with better posture and smoother more pleasing movements. Plus, she has my favorite tanos. For me, Evgenia is a true pleasure to watch and she fires on many different cylinders. I also feel a strong emotional connection to her skating.

Trudat! I absolutlely love the skating Evgenia! She is the best Russian lady ever!

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
For me, Serafima is more mature and natural than Evgenia. That wasn't her day, I can't understand why everybody keeps grumbling about her jumps while they are usually much better than Evgenia's. Just watch her in Ljubljana: 3F+3T and compare to Barcelona: 3F+3T. And now compare it again, this time with Zhenia's version: 3F+3T. Not only are Evgenia's jumps smaller, Sima's more relaxed and her toe-loop is better balanced. I recommend you the whole program from Ljubljana, it was much better than the one at GPF. She was apparently stressed there and struggling with nerves. What a pity.

gotoschool

Medalist
For me, Serafima is more mature and natural than Evgenia. That wasn't her day, I can't understand why everybody keeps grumbling about her jumps while they are usually much better than Evgenia's. Just watch her in Ljubljana: 3F+3T and compare to Barcelona: 3F+3T. And now compare it again, this time with Zhenia's version: 3F+3T. Not only are Evgenia's jumps smaller, Sima's more relaxed and her toe-loop is better balanced. I recommend you the whole program from Ljubljana, it was much better than the one at GPF. She was apparently stressed there and struggling with nerves. What a pity.

Thanks for the video links to make comparisons. I do think that Serafima skated better at Ljuljana, but it also looks like Evgenia improved at the Grand Prix Final in terms of height and flow on jumps. I also said that I appreciate Serafima more than I did earlier and I think she is a really good skater. I do think Serafima has more power in her jumps, but I just like Evgenia's movement, body line and posture better and I think she has more beautiful revolutions in the air. I also like her arm position in the tano more. But, it is interesting to hear opposing views.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Thanks for the video links to make comparisons. I do think that Serafima skated better at Ljuljana, but it also looks like Evgenia improved at the Grand Prix Final in terms of height and flow on jumps. I also said that I appreciate Serafima more than I did earlier and I think she is a really good skater. I do think Serafima has more power in her jumps, but I just like Evgenia's movement, body line and posture better and I think she has more beautiful revolutions in the air. I also like her arm position in the tano more. But, it is interesting to hear opposing views.

Yup, I like Zhenia a lot and I think she definitely deserved to win in Barcelona. I just like Sima a liitle bit more :)