Photos from GPF 2014 | Golden Skate

Photos from GPF 2014

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Due to "popular demand" the first photos I went through from the GPF, were Hanyu's - and I've posted about 97 of them --> HERE

I hope they are of interest. I will add galleries of the other skaters when I have time. (But I still have a lot of photos from TEB to sort/post too...!)

About Hanyu... I consider his competition performances among the most difficult to photograph, even though by now I've had quite some practice at figure skating competitions.

The problem is, he moves so fast! I don't just mean his great speed across the ice... it's the way he skates. It's so "fluid", he is constantly in motion... his movements are often very fast... and unless you know his routines by heart, they are often very sudden and unpredictable. I find it much harder to catch key moments of his performances than other skaters. He's hard work!

A couple that I found particularly "interesting" were the one where you can see "Y.H. Conquer myself !!" on the back of his training top, and the one that has "Realize your dream" on the advertising boards right behind him :-D

------

If anyone's interested, the camera I used was a Panasonic FZ1000. It's a high-performance "bridge" camera. Not exactly cheap, but nowhere near what you'd need to spend on a DSLR and lenses for similar results. Last season, I used a Panasonic FZ200 which is less than 1/2 of the cost but still has excellent speed and performance, and I got some very pleasing results from that.

I learned about photography using "fully manual" film SLR cameras, in the days before auto-anything, image stablisation technology etc. I also used DSLR's for many years. But not any more. I got fed up of carrying DSLR's and bag full of lenses around, and switched to bridge cameras once they reached a certain level of performance. Actually I never used a DSLR for skating anyway, because I disapprove of people who use big-lens DSLR cameras in an audience - I think they are rather inconsiderate. They are usually distractingly noisy for people sitting nearby, and often have huge lenses on them which may obstruct the view for people sitting either side, or even smack them in the face. No wonder they are banned from many spectator events...!

Last edited:

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
Great photos! Thanks for sharing with us! To capture a subject moving so fast must be difficult...

FS_rrb

On the Ice
Awesome photos!! Thank you very much. You have to be really good to be able to capture such movements on your cam! :cheer2: