Can Smarty Jones win the Triple Crown (or at least the Preakness) | Golden Skate

Can Smarty Jones win the Triple Crown (or at least the Preakness)

bronxgirl

Medalist
Yes, I know this is a figure skating forum, but as we did discuss the Kentucky Derby, the next step is to discuss will there be a Triple Crown winner? (Hasn't been one in what seems like forever!) Can Smarty Jones outrun his pedigree (and the other fresh entrants along the way) to become one of horse racing's immortals?

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I know absolutely nothing about horse racing except what I read in Dick Francis novels. Having said that, every year I root for the Kentucky Derby winner to win the triple crown. I remember Secratariat and Seattle Slew. I think that fact that Smarty Jones is undefeated is in his favor. Also, the way he won the Derby was pretty impressive. To dig down and surge past Lionheart shows he has a big heart and a huge desire to win. Time will tell.

guinevere

Final Flight
Every year I also hope for a Triple Crown winner. This year is no different! I think it's interesting that the jockey and the trainer of 2nd place winner Lion Heart went out of their way to say what an excellent horse Smarty Jones is. Lion Heart trainer Patrick Biancone said "I think the winner is one of the best 3-year-olds we have seen in many, many years." At the trophy ceremony, I noticed that the VISA spokesman said something to the effect of "We can't wait to hand over the [5 million dollar bonus] check to the owners of this horse." I don't recall ever hearing them make such a bold statement after only the first leg of the Triple Crown.

However, seeing that this horse is excellent on a muddy track does not say anything about how he will do against a similar field in the other 2 races, assuming the weather is a bit more cooperative.

I'll still be rooting for him!!!

ps to A.H.Black - I love Dick Francis! His recent books have become really formulaic, but his early novels are brilliant!

guinevere

Johar

Medalist
I can always hope and dream for a Triple Crown.

In 2000 I got to meet the last Triple Crown winner, Affirmed, at Jonabell Farm in Kentucky. He was such a sweet-tempered horse, especially considering he is a Thoroughbred Stallion.

When I walked up to him in his stall I said "Hey champ!" and he quickly raised his chestnut head like he just knew what I was saying. I couldn't believe I was seeing the horse Steve Cauthen rode to history on.

Looking far younger than his 26-year-old body, he walked closer to the stall, close enough for me to see the "look of eagles" in his eyes. After a gentle stroke on his face and several spoken kind words, I thanked him for the memories and left, dabbing a lone tear rolling down my cheek.

Affirmed died a few months after my visit so I as extremely thankful to see him in the flesh.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
At the trophy ceremony, I noticed that the VISA spokesman said something to the effect of "We can't wait to hand over the [5 million dollar bonus] check to the owners of this horse." I don't recall ever hearing them make such a bold statement after only the first leg of the Triple Crown.
The one they were speaking about here is a new bonus that has been put up for the winner of some of the earlier races. I think the Arkansas Derby is one of them and the Kentucky Derby is the last one. It's for horses that get to the triple crown via the "southern" route? Anyway, Smarty Jones actually won that bonus by winning the Kentucky Derby. I'm pretty sure that was the one they were speaking of at the time.

Guinevere - I agree with you about Dick Francis. I think he got tired toward the end of the writing.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Johar said:
I can always hope and dream for a Triple Crown.

In 2000 I got to meet the last Triple Crown winner, Affirmed, at Jonabell Farm in Kentucky. He was such a sweet-tempered horse, especially considering he is a Thoroughbred Stallion.

When I walked up to him in his stall I said "Hey champ!" and he quickly raised his chestnut head like he just knew what I was saying. I couldn't believe I was seeing the horse Steve Cauthen rode to history on.

Looking far younger than his 26-year-old body, he walked closer to the stall, close enough for me to see the "look of eagles" in his eyes. After a gentle stroke on his face and several spoken kind words, I thanked him for the memories and left, dabbing a lone tear rolling down my cheek.

Affirmed died a few months after my visit so I as extremely thankful to see him in the flesh.

I am SOOO envious of your experience!

Johar

Medalist
Smarty Jones will be on the cover of Sports Illustrated! Finally! Not since the 1980s has a horse made the cover. Cigar almost did, but the editors decided at the last minute boxer Mike Tyson was a better choice.

I guess winning 16 races in a row wasn't enough. I think I read if he had won 17 in a row(by winning the Pacific Classic, which was won by Dare and Go) they would've gone ahead with it.:mad:

Johar

Medalist
bronxgirl said:
They didn't even put Funny Cide on? At least pre-Belmont?

Not at all.

S.I. used to cover alot more sports, but is now mostly regulated to football, baseball, boxing and basketball.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
why, if cigar's wins weren't good enough...then why would smary jones be? he hasn't even won 10 races in a row...or the triple crown. now if he wins as many consecutive races as cigar or has won the TC...then, by all means, slap him on the cover pronto... but now???:rolleye: :confused:

bronxgirl

Medalist
sounds like it was either a slow sports news week, or someone in the SI office won a nice sized bet on Smarty. :D

guinevere

Final Flight
A.H.Black said:
The one they were speaking about here is a new bonus that has been put up for the winner of some of the earlier races. I think the Arkansas Derby is one of them and the Kentucky Derby is the last one. It's for horses that get to the triple crown via the "southern" route? Anyway, Smarty Jones actually won that bonus by winning the Kentucky Derby. I'm pretty sure that was the one they were speaking of at the time.

Guinevere - I agree with you about Dick Francis. I think he got tired toward the end of the writing.
No, I'm positive this was about the Triple Crown. They had already discussed the other 5 mil bonus, and the guy had just been talking about how there had been no Triple Crown winner since VISA had offered the bonus 8 (9?) years ago, and how great this horse is...and then he said that they were looking forward to giving him the check. But, I wasn't taping it, so I can't go back and check.....

Re: Dick Francis - pretty much ALL of his books from the '60s and '70s are great, but some of my favorites are:
Nerve
Odds Against
Enquiry
Rat Race
Whip-Hand (sequel to Odds Against)
Banker

There were a couple of books after Banker (1982) that were fun, but after that they became little more than formula stories.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Re: Dick Francis - pretty much ALL of his books from the '60s and '70s are great, but some of my favorites are:
Nerve
Odds Against
Enquiry
Rat Race
Whip-Hand (sequel to Odds Against)
Banker

There were a couple of books after Banker (1982) that were fun, but after that they became little more than formula stories.

I also like Odds Against and Whip Hand. I thing my favorites are The Danger and (oh shoot) the one about the toy maker....

He seemed to have two forms of writing - a semi romantic one and a sort of masochistic/sadistic one althought the sadistic was never over the top.

Sorry to get off on a tangent here. Now - about Smarty Jones.... Nice stories about his owners, trainer, and jockey.

Johar

Medalist
Smarty won Kentucky Derby while undefeated, just like Triple Crown winner Seattle Slew.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Tomorrow's the big day

Go Smarty (the sport needs a triple crown winner - why not let it be you!)