Edeas | Golden Skate

Edeas

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
There have been lots of mixed reactions on Edea skates, mainly Ice Flys.
My mom is willing to pay for Edeas, but before we go possibly waste over one thousand dollars on a pair of skates, I would like some opinions.
(If you are comfortable, please state you age and relation to skating. e.g.: I am a 14 year old skater. I skate four days a week and do not compete freestyle, but i have completed my senior moves and am working on my novice free test)

My main issues would be:
-structure (i have pronounced bunions, one on each foot, long arches and short toes, and a wide front but small heel and narrow ankles)
-support/stiffness (it took me awhile to get used to my current boots- Jackson Elite 4200)
-blades (what blades are more compatible with the Ice fly boots)
-dealers (my regular skate guy- Mike Cunningham in Maryland, doesn't sell or fit Edeas. Does anyone know the closest Edea dealer around Washington DC/ Maryland that's not competition based?
-durability (i need these to last at least a year on mild to strenuous skating)
-actual weight (do they actually feel a lot lighter?)
Thank you very much!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am in my mid-twenties working on singles, and I wear Jackson Elite 4200s. But I am also heavy of build and need a stronger boot as a result.

Allow me to give you some names of those who wear Ice Flys. Max Aaron, Gracie Gold, Ilia Kulik. Do those names sound familiar?

Now think about the jump layouts Max does in competition. And then start thinking about how many of each jump he does in practice. And remember that these boots have lasted him eighteen months.

If they can survive eighteen months' worth of training in triples and quads, I rather think that's way too much boot for a 14 year old girl.

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
I've actually heard several of these top-name skaters need several pairs for one season. also 18 months is illogical, given the 1-year cycle for a skating high- and low- season. my reasons for asking are because there are girls in my club who are juvenile, intermediate, and novice and have edea ice flys.
I'm working on double jumps, and the landing pressure is much greater because of the speed and force needed to take off, and Jacksons aren't providing the right kind of pressure in the right places.
Thank you for your opinion.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold goes through about 3-4 pairs a season. Edeas only work if your feet are right for them (like most other brands).

concorde

Medalist
If you over-boot, you can wind up with a broken ankle.

What does your coach say about them? The majority of people at my rink that had Edeas a couple of years back switched back to other brands. One round of Edeas was enough for them.

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
Gracie Gold goes through about 3-4 pairs a season. Edeas only work if your feet are right for them (like most other brands).

thank you fro your input! i've heard this several times- both from people who had other skates that weren't working for them and from people who didn't fit well with edeas. My guess is that they won't be the best fit for me because how weird my feet are, but I guess i'll just have to see.

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
If you over-boot, you can wind up with a broken ankle.

What does your coach say about them? The majority of people at my rink that had Edeas a couple of years back switched back to other brands. One round of Edeas was enough for them.

Oh wow. i didn't know about the ankle part... scary. also my primary coach doesn't really care- i think she and my spins coach are more concerned with the blades more than anything, but that's up for debate too. I think around 8 or 9 kids at my club of less than 150 people have edeas. then there's the surrounding clubs that are much bigger- Washington FSC, Ashburn, etc. I know washington's got a bunch of from all levels kids in edeas (mainly ice fly).

Thank you for your input!

concorde

Medalist
We have a friend who "over booted" and she broke her ankle. I know that the Edea rep will say that you cannot overboot with Edeas, but do you really want to run the risk?

I went back and re-read your OP. It reads "I am a 14 year old skater. I skate four days a week and do not compete freestyle, but i have completed my senior moves and am working on my novice free test." When asked why you want Ice Flys, you state "because there are girls in my club who are juvenile, intermediate, and novice and have edea ice flys."

Comparing the test track skills to the free skate track is like comparing apples to oranges. I just went back and re-read both sets of test requirements. For the novice test track level (I assume you are following these since you do not complete), you just need to do the three basic doubles -- salchow, toe loop, and loop. However, to be competitive at the "juvenile" free skate level, you need all your double-doubles. If you want to finish in the top of your region, you need a double axel. My daughter who will compete at the juvenile level this season currently wears Jackson Premiers (boots run about $325). If everything works to plan, she will have a consistent double axel by Regionals.

My daughter skates for Washington FCS and several of the kids we skate with got Edeas and later switched back to another brand. For the people we know, they had issues with the laces untying when they did doubles - they got tired of having to duct tape them on.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I'm a 55 year old bronze/silver adult skater. I sent back my custom Harlicks and bought a pair of Edeas Ice Fly because I wanted a skate that was comfortable. So far so good. With skate boots it is a personal choice because what works for one person might not work for someone else.

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
We have a friend who "over booted" and she broke her ankle. I know that the Edea rep will say that you cannot overboot with Edeas, but do you really want to run the risk?

I went back and re-read your OP. It reads "I am a 14 year old skater. I skate four days a week and do not compete freestyle, but i have completed my senior moves and am working on my novice free test." When asked why you want Ice Flys, you state "because there are girls in my club who are juvenile, intermediate, and novice and have edea ice flys."

Comparing the test track skills to the free skate track is like comparing apples to oranges. I just went back and re-read both sets of test requirements. For the novice test track level (I assume you are following these since you do not complete), you just need to do the three basic doubles -- salchow, toe loop, and loop. However, to be competitive at the "juvenile" free skate level, you need all your double-doubles. If you want to finish in the top of your region, you need a double axel. My daughter who will compete at the juvenile level this season currently wears Jackson Premiers (boots run about $325). If everything works to plan, she will have a consistent double axel by Regionals.

My daughter skates for Washington FCS and several of the kids we skate with got Edeas and later switched back to another brand. For the people we know, they had issues with the laces untying when they did doubles - they got tired of having to duct tape them on.

wow. i don't have the strongest ankles so i think i should steer clear of edeas lol. but yes I'm from CFSC in MD, and I compete Artistic/ National Showcase. I don't compete freestyle anymore, and most people know our club hasn't had a skater who had a shot at competing nationally for a good three or four years now (anyone heard of sarah yasenka or allison timlen>>)
i do understand the differences- i remember hearing girls landing triples in practices while competing juvenile (this was also like 3 years back). I need custom-built jacksons, so they run up to $1000+ -> bunions on both feet, long arches, short toes, wide front, narrow heel. it's a mess... And regionals 2016?? I wish her good luck!
I've heard about the laces issues, but i'm willing to work around that if they do end up working for me. from what i've heard so far, i think i should keep looking.
thank you very much!

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
I'm a 55 year old bronze/silver adult skater. I sent back my custom Harlicks and bought a pair of Edeas Ice Fly because I wanted a skate that was comfortable. So far so good. With skate boots it is a personal choice because what works for one person might not work for someone else.

ooh- a positive review! thank you for your opinion! i wish you the best of luck in your skating endeavors!

Casey

Rinkside
I sent you a message already, but just wanted to chime in here and say that there really isn't any "right" or "wrong" or "best" or "worst", just whatever works best for each person. I got Graf Edmonton Special boots once because that's what a bunch of high-level skaters (dancers mostly) happened to be using at the rink I went to at the time, even though I was "overbooting" and told By some I would never break them in. They were awful for me, though easy to break in (I do *not* have weak ankles), and were falling apart in a year. After more objective research I switched to Klingbeil and LOVE them, though they are no longer in business. I will probably switch to Avanta next (mostly ex-Klingbeil staff), and otherwise would probably opt to try Harlicks. But my priorities and desires from skate boots aren't the same as the next person by any means. I wouldn't ever buy Edeas myself, but they work great for some. Whatever you choose, new skates are ALWAYS a fantastic fun experience as long as *you* enjoy them. Half of skating is overcoming mental barriers, and if you can believe in your equipment it can really help! So best of luck to you whatever you decide.

concorde

Medalist
I spoke with a very accomplished coach yesterday (students that competed at the international level) and she said that overbooting will NOT cause a broken ankle. A broken ankle is caused by bad skating.

However, she said that overbooting does not allow your foot move so it will create a lot of foot problems including bunions and bone spurs. This coach skated as a child and had to quit skating after about 10 years because of the foot problems caused by over booting.

I agree that certain boots work better than other for certain individuals. I also know that skating boots are "quirky" meaning one boot works perfectly but when you go up and 1/2 size, that 1/2 size bigger creates new problems.

I would ask your coach that he/she recommends and go with their advice.

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
Thank you very much for your advice!
I will ask my coach when I definitely need to get new skates (a few months from now, maybe even more than half a year).

mnm464

On the Ice
There have been lots of mixed reactions on Edea skates, mainly Ice Flys.
My mom is willing to pay for Edeas, but before we go possibly waste over one thousand dollars on a pair of skates, I would like some opinions.
(If you are comfortable, please state you age and relation to skating. e.g.: I am a 14 year old skater. I skate four days a week and do not compete freestyle, but i have completed my senior moves and am working on my novice free test)

My main issues would be:
-structure (i have pronounced bunions, one on each foot, long arches and short toes, and a wide front but small heel and narrow ankles)
-support/stiffness (it took me awhile to get used to my current boots- Jackson Elite 4200)
-blades (what blades are more compatible with the Ice fly boots)
-dealers (my regular skate guy- Mike Cunningham in Maryland, doesn't sell or fit Edeas. Does anyone know the closest Edea dealer around Washington DC/ Maryland that's not competition based?
-durability (i need these to last at least a year on mild to strenuous skating)
-actual weight (do they actually feel a lot lighter?)
Thank you very much!

My age: 14 near 15, relation 3hr a day 6 day a wk, Sr moves-passed, junior level

Structure: I also have bump and such on my foot, i get them punched out every couple month or week, depending. They are plastic, so with temperature changes, it is necessary to punch out occasionally.
Support: I don't know your current boot, but my trusty edeas lasted me 1.5 yr and I am still using the same blades. Take a bit to break in.
Blades:I don't feel comfortable with most but i really like Pattern99 revolution. They are much lighter than normal ones, but they are a loud blade- scratchy-->have to learn how to be silent
Dealers: i use skaters edge in CLE and a guy named Chris. In the DC area, maybe Audrey wessiger rink? I got a pair of skates their and they did a good job. I don't know if they do the edea, but worth a try.
durability: They lasted long for me, but i am very small( < 102 lbs, 5ft 3 in) i heard for rthers that they broke down quickly, that's just my experience
Actual weight: so much lighter, esp w/ revolution blades. Ice fly is a true name

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
thank you very much! i actually inquired earlier last year about pattern 99 revolutions, so your input on both the ice flys and the blades are super useful! yea, i've heard they break down more quickly when skaters have more force on the landing (more muscle mass, high jumps, etc). i'm around 15 pounds heavier and an inch taller, so they might last the same amount of time for me, as i don't have time to skate more than 5 times a week, 1.5 hr max (during the school year). i have heard that they are significantly lighter, but that the difference seems to fade away once you get used to the ice fly, but i guess the blades have a lot to do with the weight too!

mnm464

On the Ice
thank you very much! i actually inquired earlier last year about pattern 99 revolutions, so your input on both the ice flys and the blades are super useful! yea, i've heard they break down more quickly when skaters have more force on the landing (more muscle mass, high jumps, etc). i'm around 15 pounds heavier and an inch taller, so they might last the same amount of time for me, as i don't have time to skate more than 5 times a week, 1.5 hr max (during the school year). i have heard that they are significantly lighter, but that the difference seems to fade away once you get used to the ice fly, but i guess the blades have a lot to do with the weight too!

Yeah, that's correct. The weight of switching back would definitely kill my jumps though.

Casey

Rinkside
i have heard that they are significantly lighter, but that the difference seems to fade away once you get used to the ice fly, but i guess the blades have a lot to do with the weight too!

Coronation Ace Revolution blades - 0.5 KG for 2 blades
Coronation Ace Regular - 0.56 KG for 2 blades

So the weight difference is not that much! Only about 11%. You'll get a much more significant weight reduction with Edeas versus traditional boots.

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
thank you! my dealer let me feel jackson elite regulars versus the hollow elites and /that/ was a huge difference. the revolution are only semi-hollow though, so that might be why the difference is more in the boots rather than the blades