American Idol Special on TONIGHT | Golden Skate

American Idol Special on TONIGHT

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The top 5 finalists... I'm guessing it'll be the same format as last year where Ryan interviews them and they sing their favorite song or something like that

probably no judges either....

and then Tuesday it's big band night... I'm really going to miss John :(

Bijoux

Match Penalty
toni

john will do ok in the biz. I can see a lot of tv gigs for him, and bet they'll have singing parts:)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
A fun show, I enjoyed it. Has anyone else picked up a copy of the "American Idol 3" CD? It is amazingly well done and I enjoyed all the music cuts........I recommend it.....42

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed the show tonight. I thought La Toya really let go--she was incredible. As for Diana, what was she THINKING with that outfit--jeans that were too tight and a top that exposed a very round belly. No, I don't expect all singers to be slim & trim, but if they're NOT, at least they should have a bit of self-respect and dress in SOME style that flatters the body they have! :eek: :eek:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
didn't notice the jeans... noticed the shirt

also I'm getting annoyed with her laugh

Show, you're about the only one who I've read that actually enjoys the CD...

how well did John and JPL and George do with their songs?

mike79

On the Ice
I didn't like the show at all. Could the Idols have given anymore cheesy answers to Ryan's fluff questions? The only one I found remotely entertaining was George.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Toni, I didn't recognize their voices at first, I had to check the back of the CD. They did a first rate job.....what a difference a sound stage does, for all of them. I was most impressed with Jennifer..........she is a rare talent and I hope she snags a recording contract...........42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
when she was on "LIVE with Regis and Kelly" a few weeks ago she said that she heard a rumor that Elton John wanted to produce her debut album and she hoped it was true...

in other news the Sinatra Family/Co./whatever has contacted John Stevens and offered a deal... no news on if he took the offer or not... we'll see... nothing can be made public until after the tour! GRRRRRRRRRRR :laugh:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I missed this one too. They can't compete with Seventh Heaven here. :laugh: I think I will start calling it the t-t show.

Tonight (Tues, 5-4) John Stevens will sing and be interviewed by Paula Abdul on "Entertainment Tonight." Fans be warned, though. When they did this with Jennifer, they did the interview over most of her singing.

Oh, NO, Twinnie! Our first big disagreement! I watched last night's show and was bored stiff with LaToya. I was actually thinking, "Maybe LaToya is the robot." I just felt as if she didn't have a spontaneous bone in her body. I started out loving LaToya, then was on the fence, and the last few performances, I've heard and seen same ol' same ol' and I KNOW she's better than that. I didn't feel she let go at all. In fact I felt she was the only one who didn't let go. And her personality is starting to bug me. She's starting to come off as too cool and slick for her own good, even a little...arrogant. Oh, Twinnie! Are we going to have our first irreconcilable difference?:cry: ;)

Diana--I noticed from the shots of her right after her initial audition that she's put on a noticeable amount of weight. She probably still sees herself as that old size, hence the bad choice belly shirt. However, I did like her performance for the first time. Down close to the audience, I did feel she was spontaneous and good for her.

Jasmine--Ooh, she really faded into the background. I can't even remember anything about what she sang. Everyone else's personalities were strong, IMO, love 'em or hate 'em. But Jaz was just kind of a nice, pretty, blah girl. I think she needs more than that now. Like I have any idea how America is going to vote, lol. Watch, she'll win.

George--If you love George's personality (it's still not for me, though I have gotten into his singing) he was great! I think the interview went a LONG way to making up for some recent weak performances as did singing "Take Me to the Pilot." Good one George!

Fantasia--I don't know about anybody else, but she charmed the hell out of me. I thought the "Simon is afraid of me" was hilarious, but I'm sure a lot of people are going to think she was serious. For me she just shimmers in a funky kind of way. And although "Summertime" didn't have the initial surprise impact, I thought she sang it much better tonight--and not a single "yeah, yeah, yeah." Actually I thought everyone sang their songs better than they originally did--except (I hate to say it) LaToya. I thought she sang it the same as before, just louder.

One thing though, IMO, this is the best Top 5 on AI so far.
Rgirl--Still Rgal's twin, even if we do disagree on LaToya:p

mike79

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
One thing though, IMO, this is the best Top 5 on AI so far.

It might be better than the first year but not compared with last year.

This Year: Latoya, Fantasia, George, Jasmine, Diana

Last Year: Ruben, Clay, Kim, Josh, Trenyce

Last year's group was much more eclectic and could sing ciecles around this new bunch.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Last year had Clay, whose enormous talent was head and shoulders above the rest. This year's group, the remaining 5, are talented, but no one stands out for me yet as the clear-cut talent that might over-shadow the rest. They all have their strong points, are all very personable, have all had shining moments vocally, but to me so far, it's a dead-heat.......I like them all about the same now and will hate to see them "picked" off, so to speak, one by one....42

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
I just picked up the CD today at my local Walmart, and it is awesome! This is one that I certainly cannot put down.

mike79 said:
It might be better than the first year but not compared with last year.

This Year: Latoya, Fantasia, George, Jasmine, Diana

Last Year: Ruben, Clay, Kim, Josh, Trenyce

Last year's group was much more eclectic and could sing ciecles around this new bunch.
Interesting point, Mike. Hmm. See, I never thought much of Ruben's voice; ITA with Show that Clay was in another stratosphere compared to the others; Kim Locke was just barely getting her chops near the end for me; I never thought much of Josh's singing; and while Trenyce had some great moments and one or two knock-out songs, she never moved me.

This year, Fantasia and LaToya are really something special for me, especially Fantasia. She has moved me to tears twice now and nobody on AI has ever done that to me before. Actually, my only problem with LaToya is that she hasn't moved me yet, but of course that's just me. George's voice is much better than I thought it was at the beginning of the season and even though I don't really like his personality, I know tons of other people LOVE him. Jasmine is the weak linkg for me. She had great promise but hasn't moved up on it, IMO. And Diana, shut my mouth but I'm starting to like her. On Monday's special I felt she finally let go and was her true self. People may not like an overly giggly, big smiley teenager, but at least she was herself Monday. And she does have pipes, pipes galore, and I think as she matures and gets a full personality she will be something.

So as I write this out, I have to back track on my statement that this year's final five is "by far" the best of all AI final fives. I'd now say that '04's F5 is either about even with '03's F5 or slightly better, depending on your taste. Interesting though, that both F5s have had two "breakouts"--'03, Clay and Ruben; '04, LaToya and Fantasia--one close big voiced girl, '03 Kim Locke, '04 Diana--one erratic singer, sometimes nyah, sometimes great, '03 Trenyce; '04 George--and one weak singer that appealed to a certain demographic, '03 Josh, '04 Jasmine.

Anyway, as always Mike, you make me think about things I otherwise would have glossed over. My kind of poster!:)
Rgirl

PS EDITED TO ADD: Now if '04's Top 5 had been Diana, Fantasia, JENNIFER, LaToya, and either George or Jasmine then I think that group would have outshone last year's T5. Such a shame about Jennifer. Would have loved to hear her sing Big Band.

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I have a hard time remembering who's who but I can say I still think George is really bad. I don't like Fantasia's nasalness - if that's a word. But, last night they were all so much better than before. Of course, it's my kind of music but they just seem to have done better with that type of music.
Actually, I never liked anyone before.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's like "Take Me To The Pilot" was written for George's voice... and I loved his "choreography" for it

I'm gonna miss him... he's so lovable...

I am not a fan of the top 4 at all! :eek: first time for everything I guess

and last years Top 5 was sooooooooo much better... I at least liked their personalities :laugh: