Presumptive entries list Europeans 2015 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Presumptive entries list Europeans 2015

YagsFan

On the Ice
non-Europeans competing

Georgia is -at least partially- geographically within Europe this is according to most (if not all) interpretations of Europe's borders.
Even Kazakhstan has a significant physical area in Europe according to some definitions of Europe's geographical borders.

Israel it's not part of Europe but nearby countries (in the Middle East) don't want to compete with Israel (e.g. soccer or any sport in the area etc.). For this reason Israel is competing as a "guest" in Europe.

I was glad to see this question posed, as I came here after watching 2 of the comps on USN tonight, to see why those from Israel were there. I must say, I'm still confused. Europe is a continent; "the Middle East" is a region, so would not presumably have a continental competition anyway. (And just what skaters in that region exist outside of Israel?) Anyway, I believe Israel would be considered to be part of Asia. Other Asian skaters are not asked to be guests at Europeans. So, ??

Also, thinking about all of this made me start wondering why Europe is the only continent to have its own competition. Why not have Asian and American(North and South American combined) competitions? Don't know why this never occurred to me before, but now it has!

Hope someone is still reading this thread~thanks!

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Also, thinking about all of this made me start wondering why Europe is the only continent to have its own competition. Why not have Asian and American(North and South American combined) competitions? Don't know why this never occurred to me before, but now it has!

Well, North American Championships have been held in the past (not ISU), but it would just be USA vs. Canada plus maybe a lone Mexican. 6-7 entries per discipline is not enough to make a Championship. Asia would be the same except worse in Pairs/Ice Dance. And where would the lone African compete?