2015 Russian Nationals Ladies FS | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2015 Russian Nationals Ladies FS

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:hijacked: It is probably time to start some new threads for discussing these topics that are not really about the ladies FS at Russian Nationals.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Well, I got something to say about the actual competition. You know who I really enjoyed watching? Maria ARTEMIEVA. Though I didn't get the costume shirt for Chopin, I liked watching the Russian Anti-Pixy.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
my favorite sport is gymnastics. I always cheer on the graceful, headcasey, flexible russians over the more robotic, consistent, powerful americans. I didn't like gabby douglas, and when she media got hyped over her, it only exacerbated my dislike of her gymnastics--and her personality, but that's a different story for a different audience lol. Anyway, i totally understand how that works psychologically. However, my reason for disliking her gymnastics is, first and foremost, because i don't like her gymnastics. The attention she gets is the "cherry on top of it all". I'm sure you have similar feelings for lipnitskaya. As it is, she cannot control the attention others put on her. She received it when she skated lights out at the olympics. That's not her problem for doing her job. Furthermore, as much as you hate the attention she gets, lipnitskaya hates it even more. Hell, one could argue that that's the reason she's in this slump right now. Had it not been for the media attention following sochi's team event, maybe she'd be the olympic gold medalist in the women's single event. I'll bet sotnikova and the other russian ladies are glad the attention is on her and not them. It's only another burden of competing, and there are very few cases in which attention actually helps people win. Radionova is probably one who would feed into it, but remember yuna's comments from vancouver? Something along the lines of, "if i don't win, the whole country will turn its back on me." surely that can't help one win. That's just another weight on her shoulders. And yes, i do think lipnitskaya deserves the attention. At the age of 15, she was an olympic gold medalist - the youngest ever, mind you - and she won euros and later picked up a silver medal at the wc. No other 15 year-old has ever achieved such a feat. She may be down, but she's definitely not out.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
To be honest I think the whole Sochi Ladies event was a big joke. Honestly how could Sotnikova even be a medalist and I do actually believe that if it hadn't been for the big scoring scandal Yulia would have gotten at least a bronze medal. To me, I feel like we can never know, truly, what every skater was worth (score wise) because the judges favored someone (Sotnikova) and had to pull down everyone who was standing in the way, like Yuna, Carolina and Mao and even Yulia. But everyone bashing Yulia are just big haters. Compared to Elena and Eliza she actually skates beautifully and her jumps are good. Just because she had a season full of errors in the free program everyone feels as if they can start judging her when last season everyone was amazed by her!

One seasons doesn't define someones talent!!

Okay in that sense, if you really believe that people hating Lip are just haters than the fact that you hate Sotnikova you are also a hater.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I really feel so bad for Julia. She tries so hard and wants to be so perfect. Maybe too perfect. She is only 16 after all and probably is still growing. She is a beautiful skater, so I hope she can come back from this better than ever.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope for Julia's sake she can find peace and happiness. From a skating fan perspective I think she has something still to offer the sport. She needs to regroup. WE can only guess, speculate, deduce but regardless of everyone under he same pressure etc. It isn't an easy sport. Growth, skates and expectations seem to be something "new"or newer that she has had to deal with. I think the sport would lose a valuable artist/competitor if she decides to call it a day. REmember Maria B, Irina S, Sokolova, Soldatova all had off years. I still think she has some valuable contribution - she needs to find herself and her zen so to speak. Fly Julia, fly release the beast and become the butterfly you were meant to be :)