2015 Russian Nationals Gala | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2015 Russian Nationals Gala

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have just watched Pogo....I am speechless....I am worried about her......does she ever smile in her personal life? Is she a happy person?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The character she plays in her gala is Leeloo from Fifth Element,
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fifth_Element
a girl who is supposed to embody the following philosophy:

In an interview Besson stated The Fifth Element was not a "big theme movie", although the film's theme was an important one. He wanted viewers to reach the point where Leeloo states "What's the use of saving life when you see what you do with it?", and agree with her

Leeloo is not intended to be a smiley character.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I still think there is something to be said about Anna choosing to play that character in an exhibition. Does she relate to this character somehow?

Even in her short program and free skate, you don't see a whole lot of positive emotion on Anna's face. The only times she's shown clear emotion is usually when she is distraught over a sub-par performance. Anna never looks like she is having fun out on the ice, but YMMV.

It could be Russian culture, where smiling in public (or staged 'smiling' in general) is seen as being very strange. But this doesn't seem to stop other girls like Radionova, so I dunno what to say here. :confused:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
It could be Russian culture, where smiling in public (or staged 'smiling' in general) is seen as being very strange. But this doesn't seem to stop other girls like Radionova, so I dunno what to say here. :confused:
Liza, Elena, Adelina, and Irina before them... nah, I don't think it's a Russian thing. Even Yulia smiles after her programs (and during parts of her program when it fits). To me, it looks like Anna's not quite comfortable with the audience/cameras yet.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Smiling Anna:

http://cs619417.vk.me/v619417271/242f4/GuzVHTXwRVc.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcyeJrC9DNM

I think there might be some cultural influence, but Russians have different personalities just like people from anywhere else. And some of the skaters may have had acting lessons and/or media training, or are just naturally more extroverted. But in any case, I wouldn't really expect Leeloo to have a huge smile on her face.

Doesn't anyone worry about Adian? :confused2: He didn't crack a smile in his exhibition either, and not even on the podium. (What was he trying to portray in his ex, anyway?)

I don't think there is anything to worry about with either of them, really...there are sufficient photos of them on Instagram where they look happy enough.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Those are nice to see. I think it would be very odd to be on the top of the podium and never crack a smile.

And if you're dressing up as a cat, I don't see how you couldn't smile. :biggrin:

I'm not worried about her on a personal level, I just think her skating this season comes across as labored and uncomfortable. I wish she had a better connection with the audience, or even the music she skates to for that matter.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plushy's quad at the gala finale was grand, but actually, the thing I loved most was Artur. Artur smiling, and laughing, and dancing around. Given that only six months ago I was starting to despair of him ever looking happy on the ice again, I can't even begin to express how that made me feel.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I don't know either....when I walked by Anna on my way to the facilities in the Arena at SkateCanada, she by herself and didn't look very happy...I gave her a big smile and she smiled back, but I thought at the time, "Here is a young girl far from home out of her comfort zone...." I hope she puts more emotion into her programs and connects with the crowd more......Good luck, Anna.

I still think there is something to be said about Anna choosing to play that character in an exhibition. Does she relate to this character somehow?

Even in her short program and free skate, you don't see a whole lot of positive emotion on Anna's face. The only times she's shown clear emotion is usually when she is distraught over a sub-par performance. Anna never looks like she is having fun out on the ice, but YMMV.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting this....but, at least for me, she didn't sell this particular Cats rendition, either......there was an American Men's skater whose name escapes me who put a lot of personality into his exhibitions but never sold his programs....shoot, I hate being old.....:)
Smiling Anna:

http://cs619417.vk.me/v619417271/242f4/GuzVHTXwRVc.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcyeJrC9DNM

I think there might be some cultural influence, but Russians have different personalities just like people from anywhere else. And some of the skaters may have had acting lessons and/or media training, or are just naturally more extroverted. But in any case, I wouldn't really expect Leeloo to have a huge smile on her face.

Doesn't anyone worry about Adian? :confused2: He didn't crack a smile in his exhibition either, and not even on the podium. (What was he trying to portray in his ex, anyway?)

I don't think there is anything to worry about with either of them, really...there are sufficient photos of them on Instagram where they look happy enough.