2015 US Nationals Practice groups and detailed schedule | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Practice groups and detailed schedule

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm probably being impatient :laugh:, but shouldn't we be seeing the practice groups and a detailed schedule showing all the practice and competition times soon??

mnm464

On the Ice
Hmmm. It's still a good month or so away, so maybe in a couple weeks? My friend made it and she has the schedule, but it is probably "classified" of sorts

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Actually official practices start on Saturday January 17 so a month from today the whole show will be over. You are probably correct that the detailed schedule showing all practices and competitions is still being kept underwraps. I hope it comes out with enough time to print out the stuff I like to take with me!

Hmmm. It's still a good month or so away, so maybe in a couple weeks? My friend made it and she has the schedule, but it is probably "classified" of sorts

ice coverage

Record Breaker

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I know golden411 it is really sad that USFS can't get this stuff out in a little more timely manner. They have to wait for most of this until after Sectionals in November....but now we are down to about 17 days until the start of Nationals and this stuff still isn't out :mad:

This morning I sent an email to the LOC about the practice groups and schedule. If I get any info I will certainly post it here. I also noticed that the LOC says it won't be available from Dec 31 til Jan 2...and then it won't be available over that following weekend. Hope they give me an answer today!

OK...this reply came from the LOC: This has to be released from USFS, and they haven't done that yet as it has still been changing with withdrawls.

I know that other years the stuff put out earlier had to have slight adjustments. My fear is they are going to wait so long that there is no opportunity to print the stuff before I leave, or they will only give it to skaters/coaches/officials.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This morning I sent an email to the LOC about the practice groups and schedule. If I get any info I will certainly post it here. I also noticed that the LOC says it won't be available from Dec 31 til Jan 2...and then it won't be available over that following weekend. Hope they give me an answer today!

Oh come on now. That's not fair. They're only human too. Why should they have to give up their holidays for impatient fans? I'm sure all the people who need to know things know them.

I'm sure we will know in good time. If worst comes to worst, then you could always look it up on the internet while you're at Nationals and write down the details of each day. Shock, horror.

17 days is an AGE in the world of trying to organise a competition.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And don't forget that these days, hotels often have printers as well as computers for the convenience of travellers.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I know Doris and I do check email. Most hotels don't want you printing a dozen pages (practice groups) or spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to print the enormous pdf file for the detailed schedule. I am entirely self taught with most of the pc stuff and years ago they put that detailed schedule out in separate pages. Now, for the past 3 or 4 (at least) Nationals it all comes out in 1 ginormous document. When you access the file on the internet it is at about 50%. By the time I figure out how big I need it to be to read, I end up printing blocks and then taping them together (kind of like elementary school.

Sadly it is very difficult for me to read (even with bifocals) because of the tiny black font and deep green and deep blue USFS uses.
Of course I do use the hotel computer to print out schedule changes and boarding pass and stuff like that...it does help that the hotels do have computers available.
Actually I dug through some stuff from recent Nationals and found that all of this stuff became available 1 month after Sectionals concluded. Based on that, this info should have been out before Christmas.

And don't forget that these days, hotels often have printers as well as computers for the convenience of travellers.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And as was pointed out before, that's not the LOC's fault, it's the USFSA's.

As I said before, I'm sure everyone who needs to know these things knows them. Impatient fans are not on that list.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I contacted the LOC because at the previous 14 U. S. Nationals I've attended the LOC has posted the links to the practice groups and the schedule. I am NOT blaming the LOC. The fault is with United States Figure Skating. You seem to think that everyone who needs to know does know. What I've observed is that frequently posters on message boards who have family members who skate post a link when the schedule becomes available and that hasn't happened this year. So, do those people who need to know have the info - doesn't seem like it.

I did call myself an "impatient fan" but after looking back through info from previous Nationals I discovered that the info is generally out before Christmas so maybe I'm not really impatient and USFS is running really late with this.

Anyway there are tons of things that I have to arrange and plan for in the next 2 weeks so that I can go and spend my money and enjoy 2015 Nationals. It would be nice for this stuff to be taken care of now rather than later.

United States Figure Skating is facing events where many many seats are empty. Maybe it is time for them to pay a little more attention to fans or face the prospect of only having the families of skaters in those arenas.

And as was pointed out before, that's not the LOC's fault, it's the USFSA's.

As I said before, I'm sure everyone who needs to know these things knows them. Impatient fans are not on that list.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Wow. I am having a brain issue....I cant remember in the past when the first version of the color PDF of the detailed schedule did appear, let alone the practice groups. I hope it is in the next week. Jan 16th is the first official practice day. So about two weeks to go. As far as hotels having printers, and enough printers, and printers that work, and printers that have paper, and computer networks that aren't slow as molasses, and hotels that don't charge per sheet, well, that is all hit and miss and like M., I like to Massage the PDF and print it out so I can quickly get the info out of it that I need.
I cant really bash the LOC, as they have been great to me...but the St Paul crew has been another matter...ignoring polite inquiring emails and worse, out and out lying, is a turn-off, St Paul. ..every event is different. Omaha was great except that the "program" designer should have been shot, drawn and quartered, hung, burned at the stake, and then tortured.

I will ask my contacts deep within the USFS what they know about the PDF.
Chris making packing list.

Carolla5501

On the Ice
Just an FYI. It is highly unlikely that either the Sheraton or any other hotel will have a color printer for general access. Hotels now are really down to just one printer which prints boarding passes. Most business travelers don't print much anymore

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi Carolla5501! Welcome to Golden Skate and thanks for the update on the printers in the hotels.

Just an FYI. It is highly unlikely that either the Sheraton or any other hotel will have a color printer for general access. Hotels now are really down to just one printer which prints boarding passes. Most business travelers don't print much anymore

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Omaha was great except that the "program" designer should have been shot, drawn and quartered, hung, burned at the stake, and then tortured.

What a lovely sentiment to express about a volunteer who no doubt spent countless hours of their time, lost many hours of sleep, and many grey hairs from stress over this event.

I am getting the impression that a lot of GSers have never been involved in the organisation of a comp before.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What a lovely sentiment to express about a volunteer who no doubt spent countless hours of their time, lost many hours of sleep, and many grey hairs from stress over this event.

I am getting the impression that a lot of GSers have never been involved in the organisation of a comp before.

I think Chris' statement was a bit tongue-in-cheek.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
To be fair to said person (paid or not) who made the decision to use newspaper suppliments that we had to pay for as "Programs", they knew nothing about skating events.....I think it was said that they were involved with some aquatic event where charging folks every day for a newspaper supplement might have been acceptable for a program. But I still maintain that the virgin LOC should have done what Greensboro did pre 2009. Attend events, keep your eyes open, learn and ask questions. That is what Toby and Barb did before promoting Spokane 2007. Maybe somewhere there is a nationals that is promoted by volunteers. Greensboro and Spokane certainly were not. They used volunteers for sure, But Hill Carrow doesn't do this out of the goodness of his heart. He wants to make money and I want him to make money. Shoot, I want the USFS to do well financially, and I am willing to help them succeed.

So my statement stands. The person at Omaha (or in the USFS) that OKed their idea screwed up. I hope Omaha gets the event again, cause it was a great place to have nats. And so much went right. And next time they will know better.
(BTW, I do respect volunteers....I gave three winters of my life driving an assistance van helping disabled cars for the Washington State Patrol...and I see what volunteers have to go through to put together an event like Sectionals in Spokane. But when I make a mistake, I admit to it, say I am sorry, and try to do better, whether I am paid or not. Whoever made THIS mistake, be it the USFS, the Omaha promoters or LOC or volunteers, never did that. Not that I heard, anyway.)

skatemouse

On the Ice

Have been involved with many International Competitions and some Nationals too. Volunteering is one thing being able to be organized with an event like Nationals or an International you need to know ahead of time to be organized and spend some time or don't take the event. The schedule for practice groups should be out by now. It is concerning.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
My moles deep within the USFS have not answered me on when we might expect some information here. Oh well. We shall hear when we shall hear. If anyone knows of a skatermom who is curious as to when their child might be practicing, and who finds out something, perhaps they could give us a clue....maybe I can dig up Mr. Rabbit's email and ask him...he is a great fellow and he might know something....
Have been involved with many International Competitions and some Nationals too. Volunteering is one thing being able to be organized with an event like Nationals or an International you need to know ahead of time to be organized and spend some time or don't take the event. The schedule for practice groups should be out by now. It is concerning.