American Idol May4/5 | Golden Skate

American Idol May4/5

mike79

On the Ice
I think Paula is on heavy drugs.

Ok, well with that said here's my rankings for Big Band night:

1. Latoya/Fantasia: Tie. Latoya had two very good performances while Fantasia had a bad one and an amazing one.

3. George: I think he was very good tonight except for his failed falsetto note.

4. Jasmine/Diana: Tie. They were both way off pitch throughout their performances. They both need to go home. Now.

At this stage of the competition they usually narrow the bottom group from 3 to 2.

My predictions for tomorrow are that it will be George and Jasmine in the bottom 2 with George going home (although I hope not).

Kara Bear

Final Flight
My random thoughts on tonights show.

Diana - she was good. I'd never buy her cd, but as Randy saus, she is aiiilllright. How do you spell it he way he says it?

George - I started off really liking him. But each week it fades a little more. His performance was ok. My mother keeps telling me that George is a bit "slow". And I think I'm starting to see what she means. Just his mannerisms suggest so. And although Latoya had problems tonight getting the words out straight when she was talking, its George talking that drives me insane. For example, on Mondays show Ryan had an "intimate" chat with the top five. Here is a bit of Ryan and George's conversation (I'm paraphrasing a bit)

Ryan: "So George, you become good friends with a lot of the other contestants."
George: "Yup, good friends, yup, good friends"
Ryan: "And you have bonded with them."
George: "Yup, bonded, yup, bonded."
Ryan: "Especially Jennifer Hudson."
George: "Yup, Jennifer Hudson, yup."
IT DROVE ME INSANE!

Jasmine - I think the first song was better than the second. I think she has a nice voice when shes not pushing to be a big powerful singer. I could hear the strain in her voice at the end of the second song. She reminds me of Audery from Canadian Idol...they are not meant to be big powerful singers.

Latoya - technicaly the best voice in the competition, but its almost as if she is too good.

Fantasia - this girl drove me crazy at the beginning. Something about her personality rubbed me the wrong way. But now I love her. I think she has revealed more of her personality than every other contestant and I think she has done it honestly. There are very few fake smiles in there...unlike others, cough, Diana, cough.

I think Jasmine will be going home tomorrow.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Another thought on Paula

WHAT THE HECK WAS UP WITH HER MAKEUP

She looked like a clown.

mike79

On the Ice
I think you would spell it: aiiiigght, dawg.

Paula is a breakdown waiting to happen. Betty Ford, here we come!

mike79

On the Ice
Kara, I completely agree with you about the Jasmine/Audrey comparison. I think the difference in them is that Audrey can sing a whole song without missing a note whereas Jasmine can do quite well and then just lose complete control of her voice. I also think that Audrey has a lot more maturity in her voice.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Totally agree.......what the heck is up with Paula....her pain meds must be getting to her and she was way over medicated, teary-eyed, a bit of an embarassment.....oh well, that's show biz....

At this point, I am dreading tomorrow night, can't stand seeing any of them go.....

I didn't like Fantasia at first, loved LaToya, but now I love them both and would buy their CD's........I can see both ladies on Broadway.......I thought tonight was great, loved the songs and the arrangements, but I love "Big Band" and would have probably liked it no matter how they sang. I thought all five did very well and props go to George, Jasmine, and Dianna for hanging in this long, but I do believe it will be down to Fantasia and LaToya, with LaToya taking home top prize........bottom two tomorrow.........George and Dianna with George going home....(to wait for the TOUR!!!!!)....42

Becca84

Rinkside
I thought the show was kinda boring & it wasn't because of the songs. I agree Paula was out of it (& the makeup was dreadful!), but at least it gave me a snicker or two.

Diana - I thought there were several places where she sounded off & I just didn't really care for her performances tonight.

George - It was better than the past few weeks (IMO), but it was "safe" like Randy said.

LaToya - Another good week for her.

Jasmine - I liked her first song, but the 2nd wasn't so great.

Fantasia - The first song was ok, but the 2nd was great.

I have no idea who will be going this week, & I'm not even going to try to guess!

guinevere

Final Flight
Wow - the first time I was home and watching live for weeks! Small moment to curse the terrible reception that the Fox station gets in my building. I'm glad they did that long band intro, it took the whole time for me to get the picture and sound to come in!

Diana: Yet another extraordinarily poor costume choice for Diana. "Someone to Watch Over Me" was ok - I was reconsidering my dismissal of Diana. "Come On Get Happy" was a return to Diana's usual high school prom performance, however. I think she should have reversed the order of songs. Her between-song patter about the troops seemed incredibly contrived as well.

George: I was blown away by how well George's voice was suited to "Cheek to Cheek". He seems to have inherited some of Jennifer Hudson's facial tics - if I closed my eyes, this song was amazing; watching him work so hard on the range was a little distracting. Also, his voice sounded great during the song, but he was clearly out of breath during his between-song schtick. I expected the Louis Armstrong song to be the better fit for George, but once again, I think he should have reversed his song order. "What a Wonderful World" is a great, great song, and it was a little challenging for George. I felt like he was rushing the arrangement at first, and he was singing 'too pretty' for the song - for once his rasp would have sounded at home, but I could hear him smiling, which helps to 'pick up' the note. Halfway through, George seemed to relax and the rest of the performance was good - and I liked the falsetto!

LaToya: Holy XXXX! Every hair onmy body was standing on end during the entire rendition of "Too Close for Comfort". The usual great vocals, this time there was personality to match. Love the hair, and LaToya looked like she was having a blast AND managed to convey a lot of emotion. Second song, from 'Funny Girl', was almost as good, but not quite. I'm sensing a theme about song order for these singers, but it wasn't nearly as damaging for LaToya as it was for the first 2. I didn't even mind LaToya stumbling over Natalie Cole's name in the patter - it continued to give her a vulnerability that's been missing. Ya think she could hold that last note from Funny Girl a little longer? (ps her dress looked like an ice dance costume - in a good way!)

Jasmine: First mistake - dressing like she was singing at a high school talent show. I hated Diana's dress, but at least it fit the theme. Jasmine ended up singing to match her outfit. Her power pop voice did not sit well with big band, especially the first song, "The Way You Look Tonight". Jasmine did have the luck of putting her better performance second (although based on previous posts, I guess I'm alone in that assessment), but it still wasn't all that. I thought "Almost Like Being in Love" was a stronger performance overall, but her voice did start to give out toward the end.

Fantasia: Girl gets some points for some gutsy choices. I happen to like Queen a lot, and I loved her rendition of "Crazy Little Thing Called Love". Fun, and it worked in the Big Band theme. She even restrained herself to just one "yea" at the end :eek: !! I could've lived without her dedications though - thought they were both a little weird. The Barbara Streisand song started off really well - she almost blew me away with this performance - but something happened and it fell a bit flat for me. It started feeling like a Big Emotional PERFORMANCE, rather than a big emotional performance, if that makes sense - it was too calculated. Plus, the playback showed what I had missed the first time - many, MANY "yeah yeah yeah"s at the end. Automatic .3 deduction! Once again I thought the first song was stronger, but it's clear that the choice of order was deliberate, in order to wow everyone. It just didn't work on me. Girl's a star, though, through and through.

Based on the combination of the 2 performances, as well as how good I thought their 'better' performance was, here are my rankings:

1. LaToya - both songs were great, "Too Close For Comfort" should become a signature song for her.
2. Fantasia
3. George
- based on performance of both songs, I had George and Fantasia tied, but Fantasia just has performance quality that gives her a substantial edge.
4. Diana - one song was mature and fit her voice well, the other highlighted Diana's weaknesses as a singer.
5. Jasmine - Jasmine sang well tonight, but I think she has a lack of versatility in her voice - she sings well in one style, which doesn't translate well to other genres. Out of her depth now in the competition.

I'm guessing George and Jasmine will be in the bottom 2, and I really really hope Jasmine is the one to go.

guinevere

Last edited:

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Jasmine: First mistake - dressing like she was singing at a high school talent show.

One thing that bothered me about Jasmine's outfit is that I could see waaay too much of her yellow bra.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
guinevere said:
George: I was blown away by how well George's voice was suited to "Cheek to Cheek". He seems to have inherited some of Jennifer Hudson's facial tics - if I closed my eyes, this song was amazing; watching him work so hard on the range was a little distracting.

I closed my eyes, too! It really did make him sound better!
Rave

I agree with Guinevere about LaToya's hair. Super 30s look all the way around.

The main thought I had was that they all did OK with this kind of music. Compared to how attrocious everyone was trying to be Gloria Estephen or Elton John. I think that is because big band music is basically easier to sing. Pleasant melodies, no weird changes of key, etc.

Mathman

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Kara Bear said:
One thing that bothered me about Jasmine's outfit is that I could see waaay too much of her yellow bra.
I'm so glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that. I kept think 'I don't want to see your back....Don't turn around'

The other thing I couldn't stand was that she was wearing jeans!!! I really like her, but after last night I think it's her time to go. As Randy said, there was no 'WOW' factor.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Interesting reactions to LaToya and Fantasia. GuinivereA note about the playback on Fantasia: I taped the show and when the played everybody back I thought, "That's strange. I thought Fantasia held that last note for a long time and didn't do a single 'yeah.' What gives?" So I played Fantasia's performance back and it was NOT what they used on teh playback. They must of used her rehearsal because she just held that beautiful last note and ended on it. Not a "yeah" to be heard. Hmm. Why would the producers do that?

My reactions in order of best to worst:
Fantasia During "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" I thought, "Ooh, she's having an off night. It's just not coming together. I hope this doesn't get her voted off." Her interim talk was the best, for me. Direct, to the point, short. "That song right there reminds me of my little brother because he drives me crazy." I loved it. Then, "This next song I'm gonna sing was recorded by Barbra Streisand, and whenever I sing it, it reminds me of my little girl. So this one is for you, baby." I felt so much honesty and sincerity from her, and then when she started singing, I really felt as if her heart was in every note, as if she was singing to her child in a way that was transcendent. She got me, she got me, she got me. For me, Fantasia's performances of "Summertime" and "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life" is what singing is all about.
LaToya I thought LaToya was the one who did the great big PERFORMANCE, which is what I figured out is my problem with her. She has never moved me. Not at all. I mean, the woman is a phenomenal singer. She has pipes to die for. But -- nobody hit me, lol -- I felt her performances were more contrived than Diana's. (Rgirl runs for cover.) I just feel she has a safe place for her singing, which I admit is great, and also for her emotions. I don't want somebody slobbering over a song. In fact I like restraint. But I don't feel anything inside when LaToya performs. She looks great, sounds great, performs great, but for me she's missing the crucial *heart* in her voice. I know she touches other people, but to quote Simon, "to be honest" LaToya's singing just doesn't get to me. However, I do think she would be gangbusters on Broadway. Broadway shows love singers who can get that hyper energy, do choreographed little bits, have expressive faces, and can blow the roof off the place. I'm don't mean to diss LaToya; she just doesn't move me, but that doesn't mean she doesn't move others. In fact, I think she'll win.
Diana Well blow me down! I liked her! Hated the dress, but I think it's because she hasn't faced the weight she's gained since the audition. BTW, very common for certain types of bodies at 16 to do that, especially under stressful situations. But she seemed the most authentic I've ever heard her, except for the Monday night special. Gotta give Diana her props, though I still think that in general, she needs a good voice teacher to get her to sing from her heart, plus she's got to do soe real living. But she's 16, she needs time--but also effort.
George First of all, Kara Bear, I am ROFLMAO at your Ryan interview of George. Man, that is it! It's a lot of what has always bugged me about him. At first I thought his "kid in a candy story" big rolling eyes, "ooooh, I'm just so happy to be here" was just a bizarre reaction to the "big time." I figured he'd come out of it and be like a grown-up. But he never changed. I know, a lot of people love it but it annoys the hell out of me. His singing--nyah, okay. He sounded good just like the everybody, but he didn't go anyplace with it like Fantasia and LaToya did. I think he has a future, but in clubs or other small venues. Or doing commercials. His voice is unique and advertisers love that. Don't know if they'll love his voice, but they could. BTW, I only started liking George at all when I closed my eyes before he even came on stage and kept them closed until he was gone. Yeah, I think he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
Jasmine Beautiful girl, lots of promise, but promise as yet unfulfilled. Her *costume* choice says everything that's weak about her singing. You can see her *yellow bra* in her singing, ie, you can see/hear her weaknesses--off key, mangled notes, etc. And like the jeans for "Big Band Night" her interpretations too often do not reflect the style of the song. I had high hopes for her early on, but I agree with Simon. She hasn't gone anywhere. I think she too needs to work with a great voice coach who can get the most out of what is basically a very lovely voice. And she too has some living to do--and on the mainland.

I have no idea what America will do, but I'd have George and Jasmine in the B2, with Jasmine going home.

As for Paula, I've always thought she was one of the strangest pop stars of the '80s. She does seem to be hanging by a thread. It could be pain killers or it could be that she's just very high strung.
Rgirl

guinevere

Final Flight
Rgirl said:
GuinivereA note about the playback on Fantasia: I taped the show and when the played everybody back I thought, "That's strange. I thought Fantasia held that last note for a long time and didn't do a single 'yeah.' What gives?" So I played Fantasia's performance back and it was NOT what they used on teh playback. They must of used her rehearsal because she just held that beautiful last note and ended on it. Not a "yeah" to be heard. Hmm. Why would the producers do that?
Rgirl
Thanks for clearing that up - as I mentioned, this was the first time in weeks that I wasn't watching a tape, so I couldn't rewind, but I did not remember all those "yeah"s at all - and I made a point of noticing thjat she kept the "yeah"s to just one in her first song. I feel that the producers are gunning for Fantasia to win this thing, so I don't know why on earth they would run a replay like that (since it's something that is off-putting to people)

I felt her {LaToya's} performances were more contrived than Diana's.
To each their own, of course, but....OUCH!!! :D

guinevere

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Rgirl said:
Interesting reactions to LaToya and Fantasia. GuinivereA note about the playback on Fantasia: I taped the show and when the played everybody back I thought, "That's strange. I thought Fantasia held that last note for a long time and didn't do a single 'yeah.' What gives?" So I played Fantasia's performance back and it was NOT what they used on teh playback. They must of used her rehearsal because she just held that beautiful last note and ended on it. Not a "yeah" to be heard. Hmm. Why would the producers do that?
A few weeks ago in TV Guide they had an article on Secrets of American Idol. One of them was that for the review at the end of the show, they use the dress rehearsal footage from earlier in the day and not the live telecast performance. This is because they couldn't edit fast enough if they used the broadcast performance.

BTW - another secret is that Simon does not attend any of the rehearsals, so his reactions to the performances are very honest.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

guinevere

Final Flight
Wow, Herm - thanks for the dirt!

I guess that makes sense about the editing, but someone can have a great rehearsal and a terrible performance (or vice versa). I'm sure they take the 'best' portion of the rehearsal, but considering this is the last impression of how a person performed, I think it should be how they really performed!

Also interesting about Simon and the dress rehearsal.

guinevere

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
George should have stayed at least one more week.... *sigh*

the only reason to watch now is SuperSexy Ryan (sorry had to say it LOL)

Thanks, Herm. You know, I read that article in TV GUIDE and forgot all about the part about using the rehearsals for the playbacks. You'd think with today's technology they could do the edits on the spot. Although actually, it makes me like Fantasia more because at least she's doing every performance "in the moment." Maybe it doesn't always work--like maybe "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" didn't suck in dress rehearsal, lol, but I do like a performer who is spontaneous.

Guinivere,
Sorry about the "ouch" lol. But just to clarify, overall, I think LaToya is just like Simon said, in a whole other league than Diana. I've also thought Diana has been one of the most contrived performers I've ever seen--until Monday and Tuesday night when she at least seemed spontaneous. And as I said before, I love LaToya and it's only been in the past few weeks that I've started thinking, "Something about her performances are bugging me. What is it?" and gradually realized it was that everything was too planned and lacking in real emotion. I still think she's great, but I think Simon would be doing her a favor if he said something like "You need to take risks" or "You need to put more heart into your songs." I think it would kick her up into the "can't nobody beat that" stratosphere.

BTW, in no way do I think the producers are trying to promote any one contestant to win. The talent here is enough and their ratings are through the roof, so there's no incentive for them to promote anybody.
Rgirl

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Simon would be doing her a favor if he said something like "You need to take risks" or "You need to put more heart into your songs." I think it would kick her up into the "can't nobody beat that" stratosphere.

why? Ruben won with teh same performances every week... when Simon told Clay to step it up Clay did and he lost... so there's no real point :laugh: America will vote their favorite in no matter what...

Tonichelle said:
why? Ruben won with teh same performances every week... when Simon told Clay to step it up Clay did and he lost... so there's no real point :laugh: America will vote their favorite in no matter what...
It's true Ruben won, but by the slimmest of margins, and I think there were a lot of variables affecting the voting that had nothing to do with who was the best singer/performer. Also, Ruben and Clay were a very different situation if we assume the final two will be LaToya and Fantasia. Of course it could be Diana and Jasmine or any two of the four for all we know right now. In any case, between Ruben and Clay, whose records are still selling and who lost his record contract? Clay "stepped it up" and has the best career of any US AI contestant yet. So Toni, when are you going to realize that Clay is the one who really "won" and just bust out and be HAPPY about that??!!!;)

I think any good criticism these finalists get at this point will probably only help their singing, no matter how they place in the finals. IMO, it's not really about who wins "American Idol." It's about using this opportunity to (a) get your singing in front of the public and industry movers and shakers; (b) getting experience; and (c) improving your singing and performance skills. Clay has said he listened to Simon's suggestions and it showed in his singing. That's what counts, IMO. I hope Simon, Randy, and, if she can ever form a sentence, Paula have good incisive suggestions every week for each one of the remaining contestants. At this point, they don't really profit from lovefests. Besides, Paula is there to do that. I say Randy and Simon, tell them like it is and push them to be as good as they possibly can be.
Rgirl