2015 Canadian Nationals Men's SP Jan 23 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 Canadian Nationals Men's SP Jan 23

peg

Medalist
Well she might not be the best coach, but if he's happy with her being his coach, then I think we should respect that. She's been his coach since maybe 1999 I think. He obviously would have left a while ago if he didn't feel like it was working out.
It's not just Kevin. She has coached some extremely talented skaters who just can't seem to skate to their potential much of the time. Sandhu, Mira Leung, Jeremy Ten... their results should have been better more consistently. Same goes or Kevin. She doesn't really seem to be able to address her skaters' Successfully addressing those is often what makes the difference. I just think Kevin could have been a better skater than he is. He's certainly got the talent.

Sure, if he ants to stay with her for whatever reason, that's is choice. But I do see a pattern here. And I'm allowed to have an opinion just as much as you are. After all, that's what these forum are for :)

rain

Record Breaker
It's not just Kevin. She has coached some extremely talented skaters who just can't seem to skate to their potential much of the time. Sandhu, Mira Leung, Jeremy Ten... their results should have been better more consistently. Same goes or Kevin. She doesn't really seem to be able to address her skaters' Successfully addressing those is often what makes the difference. I just think Kevin could have been a better skater than he is. He's certainly got the talent.

Sure, if he ants to stay with her for whatever reason, that's is choice. But I do see a pattern here. And I'm allowed to have an opinion just as much as you are. After all, that's what these forum are for :)

Absolutely. I've noted this problem with her skaters before. She seems to be content to leave them with significant technical problems that hamper their ability to reach the very top of the sport, so her students tend to get so far, and then stagnate. I've never been able to tell for sure if that's her fault, though, or if she simply gets some of the most difficult people to work with. Sandhu's issues were things like speed, but mostly his biggest problems were with his mental game. There was always plenty of talk about Leung's mother have an inordinate, and detrimental, influence on her practicing. Her biggest issues were with jump technique — which she should have taken the time to fix, but I guess didn't want to take the short-term steps backward in results to do so. I'm not sure if they come to her with this kind of inadequate base technique or if she just lets them develop it without correction.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Do you think they will just show the first 2 groups on the livestream? And the last group on TSN?

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Dominic Rondeau - QC

Half black/orange top, black pants, weaved belt

Music: Panpipes of the Andes

3A
2Lz+2T* - tilted on the lutz
CCSp - bit slow
StSq
3Lo
CCoSp3p
FSSp - wobbly exit

SP: 25.00+23.68 = 48.68, 1st (out of 1)

Last edited:

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Leslie Ip - CO

White satin mandarin shirt, black details. Black pants

Music: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

3Lz+3T - bit scratchy, maybe 3T<
2A - bit loose, planned 3A?
FCSp
CSp
Lo - completely slipped on take-off, fall
StSq
CCoSp3p

SP: 25.61+22.40-1.00 = 47.01, 2nd (out of 2)

Last edited:

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Jack Kermezian - QC

Black jacket, gold details, red lapels

3T+2T
3Lz - scratchy, hand down
FSSp
2A
StSq
CCSp
CCoSp3p - travels a bit

SP: 27.90+27.00 = 54.90, 1st (out of 3)

Last edited:

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Don't think there's much of delay according to schedule, maybe they were testing some entries...

Kermezian's SP has almost the same music cut as Balde's previous program.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Bennet Toman - QC

Black blue-sparkly blouse, black pants

Music: Assassin's Tango

3Lz+3T - not much height, but fast rotation, maybe 3T<
3A - ok, maybe <
CSSp
FCSp
2Lo* - stepout
CCoSp3p
StSq

SP: 22.78+24.07 = 48.85, 4th (out of 4)

Last edited:

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Garrett Gosselin - SK

Blue satin shirt, red suspenders, black pants

Music: Send in the Clowns

3Lz+COMBO - fall
2A - fall
CCSp
3Lo - fall, maybe <
FSSp
StSq
CCoSp3p

SP: 24.47+31.28-3.00 = 52.75, 2nd (out of 5)

Last edited: