How Will Nationals Affect Junior World Spots? (Ladies) | Golden Skate

How Will Nationals Affect Junior World Spots? (Ladies)

Skategmt

On the Ice
I got a chance today to look at the entries list for the junior ladies. I noticed that last year's "best" junior ladies are skating senior nationally this year, (Karen Chen, Tyler Pierce, and Amber Glenn . Last year's top finishers who are still skating junior nationally this year didn't have a big international season, ( Bradey Tenelle, Amy Lin, Elena Taylor). Let's say Tennelle and Lin finish first and second at Nationals as juniors, while Chen finishes 9th and Glenn finishes 11th aT Nationals at seniors. Who will go to Junior Worlds? The "seniors" or the "juniors?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:slink: Historically, we have sent a lot of seniors to jr. Worlds. And in ladies, I think we only have 2 spots?? Glenn & Chen finished seventh and ninth

Last edited:

Skategmt

On the Ice
Yes the US only has 2 spots this year:( I know there was a bit of controversy in 2013 where the USFSA sent Cesario,Siraj, and I believe hicks(?) To Junior worlds instead of Polina, Mariah, and Barbie

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Historically, we usually send two seniors and the top junior to nationals - so by your scenario, it would be Chen, Glenn and then Tennelle. However, they have sent three seniors before, so if there are three junior-competition-senior ladies who do better than the junior ladies, it's possible that they could send all three.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes the US only has 2 spots this year:( I know there was a bit of controversy in 2013 where the USFSA sent Cesario,Siraj, and I believe hicks(?) To Junior worlds instead of Polina, Mariah, and Barbie

I think people were surprised they sent Siraj mainly instead of Hannah Miller, who had finshed 2nd at JGPF, Angela Wang who had done well on JGP.

That year was fine, Samantha and Courtney easily kept JGP spots/world spots with 4th/5th place finishes. THey also most went the other way lsat year sending the top 2 junior finishers (Amber Glenn and Tyler Pierce). Karen WD from Nationals, but did well on JGP.

The candidates for Junior Worlds are those who meet the Junior Worlds TES requirements (which I believe must be met in a junior competition) and haven't aged out:
Polina Edmunds (2nd place Sr.; 1st year (full) as senior internationally)
Hannah Miller (8th place Sr.; 1st year as senior internationally)
Leah Keiser (10th place Sr.; Competed on JGP)
Mariah Bell (13th place Sr. 1st year as senior internationally)
Angela Wang (15th place Sr.; 1st year as senior internationally)
Amber Glenn (1st place Jr; did JGP; first year Sr. nationally)
Tyler Pierce (2nd place Jr; first year Sr. nationally)
Ashley Shin (3rd place Jr.; first year Sr., nationally + internationally)
Karen Chen (WD Nationals Jr.;did JGP first year Sr. nationally )
Bradie Tennell (4th place Jr; did JGP second year Jr.)
Elena Taylor (5th place Jr; second year Jr.)
Amy Lin (6th place Jr; second year Jr.)
Olivia Serafini (8th place Jr)
Vivian Le (1st place Novice; first year junior)

Basically, the juniors basically have to have an amazingly awesome score at Nationals to be put into contention. On paper, Amber Glenn and Karen Chen looked strong, they just didn't have the best performances.

If Polina doesn't finish in the top 3 at nationals, I could easily see her being sent to Jr. Worlds. I had though there was a rule where you couldn't go back to Jrs. after competing in Srs. but I guess that rule was not passed.

Last edited:

flying camel

Medalist
I'm hoping little Vivian Lee wins the junior title. I am so impressed by her skating. I would love to see her make the junior world team, but she would need a stand out performance. She has all the qualities to be a little star, if she can hold the nerves together.

Shani

On the Ice
It seems to depend on the senior presentation, the age of the skater, and the number of clean ratified triples. It varies every year. The Junior National Champion usually goes, and then fill up from seniors unless the Junior silver medalist has more ratified triples.

Shani

On the Ice
Amber Glenn may be the best skater to look at. Easily amazing in Junior last year she has had a growth spurt and moved to senior. She is young. Her jumps are coming back in. Without them she still qualified for Nationals at senior. She and Karen Chen are amazing hopes for US internationally long term.
Sometimes there are few ratified triples at the Junior level, and seniors have first priority if they meet age requirements.
Every country wants those gold medals.

cjmorton29

Rinkside
I have been under the impression that, at least in Canada, it tends to be about the points. Whoever senior or junior that is eligible and wishing to go that has the highest score goes. Looking back at last year which, at the time I thought was a questionable decision of the team, both Glenn and Pierce did in fact get more points than any of the eligible seniors. The decision to send Karen Chen was an interesting one, but can certainly be justified by her strong appearance on the JGP and the lack of one clear choice from the eligible seniors. I think no one was great on the JGP, so there's no one who's a lock, and there might be a stronger shot of getting the third spot if they send one of the senior ladies.

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
In regards to the Junior champion usually getting a spot, I always remember 2008 where three of the top 4 Senior ladies nationally (Nagasu, Flatt, Zhang) were too young for Senior Worlds and therefore Junior champ Alexe Gilles got left off the Junior Worlds team.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Edmunds was left off the JW team when she won Juniors as well, but she also had a large number of < jumps.

noidont

Final Flight
If they want to get 3 spots back, then Edmunds and Glenn/Chen are the best option. This year American junior didn't even make jgpf, the highest placer behind 3 Russian and 3 Japanese. Basically impossible to get 3 spots back. Edmunds is the only hope to break into top 5, though we don't even know if she has a junior program ready. Also there is Tursynbaeva and Dabin Choi who could possibly place ahead of Glenn/Chen/Miller/Bell and the likes meaning that 14 jgp spots is also hard to get back. I do really like junior US ladies and would like to see more of them on jgp circuit.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I agree that Edmunds and Miller/Chen (if Karen shows a 3-3) are probably the best choices to get the 3rd spot back: the lowest they can place to do it is 6th and 7th (or 5th and 8th and so on), and the only US girl who could realistically hope for a place in the final group, considering the level of the Russian and Japanese girls, is Polina

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I agree that Edmunds and Miller/Chen (if Karen shows a 3-3) are probably the best choices to get the 3rd spot back: the lowest they can place to do it is 6th and 7th (or 5th and 8th and so on), and the only US girl who could realistically hope for a place in the final group, considering the level of the Russian and Japanese girls, is Polina

I asked this in the Stupid question thread, but I thought that once you go to Senior Worlds you cannot go back to Junior Worlds??? Can anyone confirm or correct me on this? Because Polina in my belief is NOT eligible for Junior Worlds. (Or maybe it's once you go on senior GP you cannot go back to junior GP... I want to be corrected)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I asked this in the Stupid question thread, but I thought that once you go to Senior Worlds you cannot go back to Junior Worlds??? Can anyone confirm or correct me on this? Because Polina in my belief is NOT eligible for Junior Worlds. (Or maybe it's once you go on senior GP you cannot go back to junior GP... I want to be corrected)

I had thought that they enforced the you can't go back to junior competition once you competed as a senior, but i guess they did not. The only requirement, I think, is that Polina has achieved minimum TES at a junior competition, which she did at last year's JGP.

jace93

On the Ice

The only rule I can think off is the that state that you can't compete in the jgp and gp in the same category the same year...

Anyway I'm not so sure it would be a good move to send Polina to Junior World:
If she has got over her technical problem and has rebuilt her confidence then she could aim at a good result, maybe even a medal, but seeing the incredibly high level of the Junior competition if she has got that much better respect this fall then she could aim at a good position at senior worlds...

If instead she is still struggling it could be much mortifying (and also hurt her standing within the federation and with the international judges) to lose against such younger skaters...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Polina doesn't make the World team, it might make sense to send her to JW along with Chen or Glenn. But the competition there won't be much easier than at Worlds---Medvedeva, Sakhanovich and Higuchi aren't pushovers.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
No, as far as I know there is no such rule... As long as the skater is eligible, there should be no impediments for Junior Worlds, even if I'm not sure if the situation of a skater competing at Senior Worlds going to JWorlds the year after ever actually happened (I can't think of anyone) :think: But if Polina places in the top3 there is no way they could send her to JW of course, and she's the only real hope to get the 3rd spot back I'm afraid...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Year after year, Denis TEN (KAZ) competed at both Worlds and JW as long as he was eligible for both. And I recall that there was a lot of grumbling about it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There was a proposal on the table stating that a skater could not go back to the junior level once they competed as a senior, but I guess it wasn't passed.