What I don't like about hockey. | Golden Skate

What I don't like about hockey.

You know what I don't like about hockey? Good play is not rewarded. I just watched the Red Wings get eliminated form the playoffs, 1-0 in overtime. Both teams had lots of excellent offensive plays, lots of shots on goal, several quality scoring chances -- nothing.

The only play that ever works in playoff hockey (as opposed to the regular season, where they are just goofing off, having fights and stuff), is the one where they crowd everyone around the net, shoot the puck in, and hope to get a lucky bounce off someone's skate.

No matter how well or how poorly you play, it seems like it doesn't matter at all. You get an opportunistic ricochet, or the other guys do -- end of game. Sort of like soccer.

Oh well. Maybe I would feel differently if the Red Wings had won one to nothing.

Mathman:)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Mathman, When he was young, my husband used to play goal in the Quebec Eastern Townships league. And my son was a goalie at his high school in VT. So whenever there is a game such as you describe, I always see it as My Team, the universal goalie team, won.

Yes, the goalies really do seem to excel at playoff time. I always enjoy watching them.

But I know how you feel! The Bruins were knocked out by the Canadiens in the first round. Couldn't buy a goal in the last 3 games.

Antilles

Medalist
I think it's more exciting that hockey is low scoring. It makes each goal more special, and players are really rewarded when they get a goal. If you like high scoring games, you should have seen game five of the Leafs-Flyers series. Personally, I thought that was the most boring game of the playoffs.

bronxgirl said:
Mathman,
Is it a sore point to mention that it's baseball season (LET'S GO YANKEES!!!) :D :D :D
Heck, no. The Tigers are off to their best start in years. They're on a pace not to lose 100 games this season!

High scoring? In yesterday's game the Tige's scored 8 runs in the top of the fifth. Then Texas came back and scored 10 runs in the bottom of the fifth, and the Tigers lost 16-15.

BTW, I used to live in the Bronx, around 181st street. I could look out the window and see the lights of Yankee Stadium.

Mathman:)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
What I don't like about hockey:

(I live in Surrey, BC)

That we get "hockey" news and trivia, morning, noon and night - to death - on tv, the radio and the newspaper. Hockey, Hockey, Hockey. Enough already!!!!!

IceAngel2007

Rinkside
I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT HOCKEY! ESPECIALLY THAT SOME OF THE HOECKEY PLAYERS HATE FIGURE SKATERS, AND THEY HAVE NO CLUE HOW MUCH OF OUR TIME WE PUT INTO SKATING! its a h*ck of alot harder than ice hockey! i'll tell you that much! SO SORRY IF I OFFENDED SOMEONE.