2015 U.S. Nationals practice reports | Golden Skate

2015 U.S. Nationals practice reports

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Can anyone start a practice report? THis way if anyone is watching any of the Seniors especially like Pairs, Men, Etc we can hear what they are seeing during practice. I heard that the quad twist was preformed on Senior by S/K and that other teams were skating well. Also other Seniors had been spotted training and some were having some adjustment others were on fire and it was very scattered. Does or can anyone report on practice ice? Thanks!
Guess I am anxious given I am not attending this year:(

Color-coded matrix schedule, including practices:

Practice groups:

Live streaming (video only; no audio) from a fixed cam showing the secondary rink:
http://live1.brownrice.com/clients/wfmy21.html
http://www.wfmynews2.com/sports/figure-skating/ (same stream is embedded on WFMY skating page, as of Jan 21 ... don't remember seeing it there before??)​

From Monday night practice for pairs, posted by @heatherc1275:

Photos at the boards:

Instagram videos:

Donlan/Bartholomay SP run-thru:

Kayne/O'Shea SP run-thru:

Quad twist (!) from Scimeca/Knierim and a nice throw from K/O'S:

Last edited:

skatemouse

On the Ice
Thank you thank you this is amazing!!! SO appreciated! Can't believe all the great things you posted. Everyone looks great!!! Will be exciting!!!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What you are seeing on the live cam is construction of the secondary rink where some practices and some competitions will be held. Some of the championship (senior level) practices will be in this rink. ....

Here is a link to a diagram: http://www.northcarolina2015.com/EventInfo.aspx

The rink you are seeing on the live stream is labeled wfmy news2 rink. ....

Live streaming (video only; no audio) from the secondary rink still seems to be available:

This streaming is from a fixed cam that was showing last week's construction of the secondary rink, but it still seems to be up.

samson

Medalist
^Thanks for that link! If the feed is live we should see senior ladies group A in five minutes which would be Gracie Gold, Hannah Miller, Angela Wang, Leah Keiser, Katie McBeath, and Maria Yang. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
^Thanks for that link! If the feed is live we should see senior ladies group A in five minutes which would be Gracie Gold, Hannah Miller, Angela Wang, Leah Keiser, Katie McBeath, and Maria Yang. :)

Thx for checking the schedule and group. :) Hard to identify who is who on the fixed cam, ... but I think I caught a glimpse of Gold??

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think I saw Leah Keiser doing a bunch of 2A-3Ts? Haha it's hard to see!

ETA: And just saw Gracie do a 3Z-3T.

Last edited:

samson

Medalist
Just watched the run-through of Gracie's and Hannah's shorts sans sound via the feed golden411 shared.

Gracie skipped the triple/triple and her layback but did everything else and looked strong out there. Seeing a single cam wide shot you really get a sense of the speed she uses in this program and how much she fills the ice. Maybe it's because this is the second season out she's doing this program, but I was really surprisingly struck but her display of musicality even when the sound was mute on the feed. She's not a skater I typically associate those things with but at least with this program you still get a sense of the rise and fall in the music through her body language, speed, energy. It's far from my favorite program, and say what you will about the material Lori and Frank give her, but there's so much quality all around this program from the construction to the execution.

Hannah also skipped her combo but it looks like she did everything else well. By contrast, watching her short without music I was struck by how one note it is. Granted she's skating to firebird, and in the short it's much harder to create a rise and fall in the short time with all the elements (and I think Lori is especially good at constructing dynamic short programs) but the whole program was skated with the speed and energy of a "Michelle just nailed her second lutz now it's time for the footwork" moment.

I think the construction of Gracie's program is more affective. As a viewer you're given somewhere to go, rather than starting at top speed and trying to maintain it. It's funny I didn't anticipate to be comparing and critiquing the programs like this, I just noticed what a great opportunity it is learn something about choreography and how programs get built in comparison to how programs get scored when you watch without the music.

samson

Medalist
Thx for checking the schedule and group. :) Hard to identify who is who on the fixed cam, ... but I think I caught a glimpse of Gold??

Yeah Gracie is the blonde in all blacks with a hint of neon green on the back of her shirt! I'm really curious to see all the ladies practicing and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss it if I could help it!!

samson

Medalist
Any news on Mirai?

Mirai's group is scheduled for 7:00pm EST. Based on skate order in this current group it looks like if she does a run through it will be at the first run though in the group. It also looks like the ladies have practice in the main rink later tonight. I wonder how many ladies will show up to both.

samson

Medalist
oh hahah Mrs P beat me to it! It looks like this group is winding down so group B can hit the ice. That's Polina Edmunds, Christina Gao, Ashley Cain, Amber Glenn, and Tyler Pierce!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
5 blondes and a 1 brown hair girl. THe ID game in this group is going to be interesting LOL. Though I located Amber Glenn, I think.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Polina is MIA, which is not surprising given that she's traveling from the W. Coast.

samson

Medalist
^I'm also wondering which ladies might forgo this practice in favor of the one later today at the main rink? I guess if you are willing to stay up late for it and you only want to go to one practice session that would be more ideal

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^I'm also wondering which ladies might forgo this practice in favor of the one later today at the main rink? I guess if you are willing to stay up late for it and you only want to go to one practice session that would be more ideal

In Polina's case, it might be more ideal. She'll be on W. Coast time still, so staying up late won't be a problem. And given that ladies is in the evening, that might not be a bad idea.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think Polina maybe more media savvy than we all realize.

She just now sent out this tweet Which i found very interesting as I immediately realized I was watching her warm up as the bright red top was a dead give away.

Rather clever of her to send it out when she can be seen, and make sure to be recognizable.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Polina maybe more media savvy than we all realize.

She just now sent out this tweet Which i found very interesting as I immediately realized I was watching her warm up as the bright red top was a dead give away.

Rather clever of her to send it out when she can be seen, and make sure to be recognizable.

But the girl in the red top, has a sleeveless top, not a 3/4 like Polina has in the photo. I thought that was Tyler Pierce actually. I could be wrong though.