2015 U.S. Nationals practice reports | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2015 U.S. Nationals practice reports

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
what about the men?

The Adam Rippon fan fest thread reports he landed a clean quad lutz and clean triple axels.

But what about the other guys?

Scovies

Final Flight
The Skating Lesson's twitter feed has some info from the men's and women's practices. Ashley's doing a lutz-toe combo and apparently looked terrific in practice, Gracie did a clean run-through of he LP, Polina didn't jump in her run-throughs, Adam Rippon did a clean quad lutz, and other tidbits are there.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
From Lynn Rutherford (twitter.com/lynnrutherford):

Love the intensity of @Adaripp's new Nyah SP! Great steps. Hit a good triple Axel in morning practice run-thru. #NC2015

Good stuff from @jasonbskates in morning practice. Clean run-thru (to my eyes!) of Little Walter "Juke" SP. #NC2015

Chat w/always charming @rossminer. Says 3A is best it's ever been. Made strategic decision to take 4Sal out of SP, it's still in FS. #NC2015

We are certainly seeing some solid triple Axels from @Adaripp in this morning's practice. #NC2015

Some wonderful triple flip-triple toes from @jasonbskates in morning practice. Good distance and speed. #NC2015

.@Adaripp just hit lovely Rippon 3Lz-3Toe. I would think tacking 3toe on to a Lutz w/hands over head, makes the 3/3 all the tougher. #NC2015

.@Adaripp on his change to "Nyah" short: "My Grand Prix season sucked. I wanted to do some rejuvenating." #NC2015

.@joshDfarris holding red band round back of head at practice, wrapping it round his face during doubles.Could be training exercise #NC2015

.@RichardDornbush hitting quad toe-triple toe combos in practice session. Steps in SP look great. #NC2015

Chat w/@joshDfarris. Has quad toe planned for FS; coach @damonallen73 said he does 5-6 per day in practice and "owns the jump now." #NC2015

About @joshDfarris exercise band: It's visualization exercise recommended by his physio Ken Cole of Seattle. Helps with alignment. #NC2015

.@AshWagner2010 hit triple flip-triple toe in SP run-through. Looking strong. #NC2015

.@GraceEGold SP run-thru was near perfect, including triple-triple, except she didn't hit her double Axel. But still, looks strong. #NC2015

Also from her Ice Network piece: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/01/21/107030320

[Nathan] Chen hopes to hit the quad toe here, as well as a quad Salchow and triple Axel, a jump he didn't try at sectionals. But an injury to his left heel may change those plans.
"It just started last Wednesday," he said. "There is a problem with the growth plate. I've grown a few inches over the past few months."
"I'm still planning up to three quads in my free skate -- two toes and a Salchow -- and triple Axel, but we have to see what happens," he continued. "My other jumps, the triples, are OK. It only bothers my big jumps, the quad and the Axel."

Richard Dornbush landed a solid quad toe loop when he won the bronze medal at the Cup of China in November, and the jump is planned for his Coldplay free skate here in Greensboro.
"We experimented with different quads, the toe and Salchow, to get the feel of both in competitions," said Dornbush, who trains in Riverside, California, under Tammy Gambill. "Eventually, I want to do both (in a free skate). Coming into nationals, I feel more comfortable with the toe. I have a lot of experience with the Salchow under my belt."

The skater, who trains alongside Chen under Arutunian, is planning not only the quad Lutz but a combination of his "Rippon" triple Lutz with a triple toe, as well as a triple Axel, in his "Nyah" short.
"I really like the Lutz jump (done with both hands over his head)," he said. "I feel like I have the momentum to add a triple toe to it. I've been working on it this summer."
For his free skate to a Liszt piano concerto, Rippon is also planning the quad Lutz, and has moved one of his triple Axels into the second half. He has also changed a triple flip-triple loop combination into a sequence of triple flip-loop-triple Salchow.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The Adam Rippon fan fest thread reports he landed a clean quad lutz and clean triple axels.

But what about the other guys?

R-e-a-l-l-y??????????? :bow:

I tried to find an eye-popping emoticon from the menu, but couldn't. I feel like I have to revise my prediction again. LOL.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was never a great fan of Michael's but this was a nice moment for him, and you have to love a skater who performs when it counts.

Adam's skills are so much greater, IMO, but he just HAS to put it together.

If he skates to his ability, then you are right. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he could win.

Sadly, I don't think he skates as he could on big stages very often.

burntBREAD

Medalist
What does hooks mean and how do you look for them?

Hooks are when the skater lands and their landing foot hooks around sharply, which is usually a telltale sign of an UR since they have to come around extra quickly. Mirai's 3T was most definitely at minimum UR in that clip of not actually <<...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Me too! I have to put him in closer to the top now! I hope it does not come back to bite me! :biggrin:

Ah, I loooved Adam's Finlandia LP. More than Jason's T&I, and I am a Jason uber. I loved the choreography, the music cuts, the way that Adam appeared to float with the music.

In the GPF game, I put Adam in the top 5, maybe the top 4, of all his competitions. And we know how that turned out for me.:drama: I wouldn't change your predictions yet.

But Adam's forthright admission that his GP season "sucked" makes me love him again.:love: