Conspiracy theory re: empty seats at worlds 03 | Golden Skate

Conspiracy theory re: empty seats at worlds 03

L

Ladskater

Re: Conspiracy theory re: empty seats at worlds 03

I guess they are a little "nervous" these days around the fans. Can't blame them. Oh well, my best vantage point was my front room. I could not afford to go to Worlds - even when they were here in Vancouver.

Ladskater

J

Joesitz

I was sitting across from the judges and saw the empty seats behind them. The top rows of that section, did however, have people in there. Who? I don't know if they were paying fans or guests of VIPs.

There were also a whole section behind the TV cameras that were not used by fans. What a waste of tickets!

Joe

M

mpal2

I was sitting center ice, 2nd tier, facing the judges and all the empty seats. My seatmates and I had a lot of fun coming up with conspiracy theores on that. The theory that won is they didn't want fans to see the scores the judges typed in. I have a pretty decent camera lens. If I had been even midway in that section, I think I could have picked out which numbers some of the judges typed in. I'm a CPA so I'm pretty familiar with a number pad. I konw how those fingers move on which keys. :lol:

The 2nd theory made sense but wasn't as much fun. They had 5 cameras blocking that area of seating. Anyone sitting there would have gotten a majorly obstructed view.

The funniest part about the cameras is when one of the judges experienced a technical difficulty. The cameraman aimed toward the computer and that scene played on the jumbotron. Someone killed the video feed pretty quick but it was hysterical watching the officials get protective over a pc. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that scenario helped the 1st theory win amongst the group. We also think that they only opened more seats there to get more money.

M

mpal2

I forgot to mention that we debated about why the cameras were placed there.

Did they just not have a better place to put that many huge cameras or was it a deliberate placement to get an "obstructed view" excuse?

Normally the tv cameras are scattered throughout the rink for coverage at different angles. It was just odd to see that many grouped in 1 place (BEHIND the judges).

J

Joesitz

mpal - Speaking of that Jumbotron. I think there was a conspiracy there too. Poor Sarah, they showed her fall about 3 different times from different angles. Why? She fell, so what?
I would rather they, honed in on the back outside edge of everyone's lutz.

Joe

R

RealBlonde89

There is no conspiracy. The empty seats are there so no one can see the scores, yes, but it's not because of conspiracy. There's usually a very empty section where the judges sit; there was in SLC, at every Nats I've been to, regionals, sectionals, and on down the line even at Synchro Nats. Even at ISI competitions, there is ample space around the judges. It's not a new thing.

S

sk8cynic

IIRC, it was the same thing in Spokane.

Maybe it's to cover-up the PMing that goes on between judges - why tap dance like Yuri Balkov when you have technology right at your fingertips?!?! 8o . Either that or else the judges don't want to get busted for playing solitaire during a competition. :rollin:

M

mpal2

Joe,

My memory is blanking out on me at the moment. Didn't Sarah have more than 1 fall, or was it the same fall shown several times?

In any case, it's similar to Michelle's Olympic fall. Everything gets immortalized out there whether they like it or not. Besides the fact that I can't skate at that level, it's another reason why you wouldn't see me out there. :p They all have a lot of guts.

As much as I hate to see any of my favorite skaters fall, I don't mind the pictures or replays so much. It's what happened. It lets me sit there and figure out why they fell. Was it a problem in the takeoff, air position or landing? It's kind of fun for me to try to figure out.

K

kwansong999

From what i remember, all the seats in the three sections from row 1 to about 2/3 of the way up right behind the judges and cameras were left empty. The other 1/3 was mostly for special ticket holders, VIP. (Judges from other competitions, ISU Judge's family members, Speedy and his goons...) I didnt see regular fans going to sit there. the ticket-ushers were super-strict and you werent allowed down in those areas.

Im not surprised that they left the seats empty during competitions. Speedy wasnt exactly Mr Popularity that week. :cool: |I

J

Joesitz

mpal - I'm almost sure that Sarah's fall was displayed from all angles. My seat mates all commented on that huge Video as being in bad taste. It was not just Sarah but most people who fell. However, certain skaters only got the good stuff shown on that machine. That's why I mentioned it a possible conspiracy. Lutz takeoffs were not shown.

Joe