2015 Canadian Nationals Senior Men Free Skate, Jan. 24 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2015 Canadian Nationals Senior Men Free Skate, Jan. 24

Froze

Spectator
Nam was way ahead of the pack by a whole mile. I don't include Roman Sadovsky in this pack. Actually he was so good I would have put him on 3rd place. He was much better than Liam Firus.
Yes, Roman popped his Lutz, but he was amazing, no other mistake! 15 years old. Huge growth spurt...what a beautiful kid.

Roman did an amazing job skating to Les Mis for a 15-year old. Beautiful lines and skating. Does he have ballet training?
Will he go back to world juniors this year?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Nam was the class of the field. What a dream debut season he's had: Two wonderful GPs, then an absolutely perfect Nationals. He didn't even need to be foot-perfect to win, but of course he was. I think he's improved his speed and jump quality. His consistency--may it continue--will also force judges to take notice. I don't want to hype him too far yet, but I love how he seems to have the mindset and killer instinct needed to be a champion.

I'm so happy for Jeremy Ten. Even if the skate was quite flawed, I appreciate how he fought for everything. It's like he heard the (relatively) big scores Liam put up, and knew he couldn't afford any more mistakes. And it's hard not to feel happy for him: skating in his last season, getting silver and that WC spot.

Liam Firus, unfortunately, comes across as a poor man's Patrick Chan to me. I know he has nice SS, but that's no reason to grossly overscore him in all the PCS categories (Nationals is inflated for everyone, but Liam was proportionally more inflated than his competitors--no way was his short only 4 points worse than Jeremy's, nor was his long that much better). I doubt an international panel would've put him that close to Jeremy--even Jeremy with two falls, since Liam didn't even attempt the stuff Jeremy fell on. There are other skaters with good SS--Kozuka, Hanyu--and they skate like themselves, instead of looking like a bad copy of Patrick Chan. Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh. I just hope Liam finds his own style in the future, because right now, if I'm in the mood for this type of skate, I'd just watch Patrick Chan.

Keegan Messing was a pleasant surprise. Beautiful quad, really got the crowd going, had some acknowledgement of his music. Not high art by any stretch of the imagination :laugh:, but it was plenty fun.

kresslia

Medalist
Liam Firus, unfortunately, comes across as a poor man's Patrick Chan to me. I know he has nice SS, but that's no reason to grossly overscore him in all the PCS categories (Nationals is inflated for everyone, but Liam was proportionally more inflated than his competitors--no way was his short only 4 points worse than Jeremy's, nor was his long that much better)
Man, thank you. I'm so tired of this guy being inflated to hell and back here in Canada. I couldn't even believe what I was seeing when the score came up for his short and it was right there with Roman at 73. What a joke.

Nam goes clean and scores about 15 points higher than his PB (and imo that was the best he's ever skated that program). Okay. Liam singles a triple axel among other things and still beats his PB by 16. I don't even...

Also wanted to add that it really just hit me how much Kevin was missed at this event. I can't help but wonder where he would have ended up, you know? As unlikely as it seems, he actually could have leapfrogged all the way up to second place if he put together a performance similar to the Sochi team event. Just really makes you wonder what could have been...

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
For anyone who is interested on the Kevin situation (but doesn't frequent his Fan Fest), here's an article about his withdrawal: http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/2...-out-of-canadian-figure-skating-championships He's apparently suffering from a hip injury and may need surgery. However, he says he intends to come back and continue competing once the problem is sorted out.

Best wishes to him. Sadly, I don't think he was in any condition to pull out an LP similar to his Sochi Team FS. Even if he did, I don't know if his health would've allowed him to continue to 4CC and Worlds...

Man, thank you. I'm so tired of this guy being inflated to hell and back here in Canada. I couldn't even believe what I was seeing when the score came up for his short and it was right there with Roman at 73. What a joke.

Nam goes clean and scores about 15 points higher than his PB (and imo that was the best he's ever skated that program). Okay. Liam singles a triple axel among other things and still beats his PB by 16. I don't even...
The Canadian judges seem to be sending a "We love you! Just don't make too many errors, and you'll be on the team!" message. A more appropriate one, imo, would be, "Liam, we really appreciate your skating skills. However, we'd like to see you improve your jumps and your consistency, and develop a style that's not so reminiscent of Patrick Chan." I'm 99% certain that's the one international judges will give him...

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
congratulations to mr spicy for 2 clean skates and his 1st national title :cheer: team cricket rocks!! :rock: now my question is if he thinks about including quad to his SP for worlds, it seems consistent enough and he might need it to get 2 if not 3 spots for next year's worlds

kresslia

Medalist
congratulations to mr spicy for 2 clean skates and his 1st national title :cheer: team cricket rocks!! :rock: now my question is if he thinks about including quad to his SP for worlds, it seems consistent enough and he might need it to get 2 if not 3 spots for next year's worlds
Orser said Nam wants to include it in the SP, so they're going to have a discussion about that.

gottadance

On the Ice
when do they announce the World and 4C's team? sorry if that's already been asked and answered but I am going cross-eyed following both Cdn and US nat's this weekend !!! Maybe the God of skating and see that they are scheduled on separate weekends in the future just for the sake of sanity for us fans!!!!

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Orser said Nam wants to include it in the SP, so they're going to have a discussion about that.

thats good to hear, if nam is as half stubburn as yuzuru we will see quad in his SP :laugh: he can even try it at 4CC if he decides to go, it would be great to try it and see before worlds

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Good. With his current SP, he could end up too far behind before the LP. The quad would make a huge difference (especially if he and Jeremy want to bring back three spots).

peg

Medalist
Good. With his current SP, he could end up too far behind before the LP. The quad would make a huge difference (especially if he and Jeremy want to bring back three spots).

I don't think Nam and Jeremy have any chance of bringing back three spots. At the same time, I also don't think they're going to lose that second spot the way some people are saying.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I don't have TSN so have only caught a few of the programs uploaded on YouTube but it does seem the depth in our men's division is at an all-time low. I was encouraged to see Roman. He looks like such a sweetie-pie out there on the ice and has a pleasing style. I hope he can get that triple axle included soon as long as it doesn't hurt his growing body too much. He still has time on his side to catch up to the big boys.

Loved Nam. Another cutie-pie. I hope he keeps up his consistency and positive attitude. Loved his interview with Brian Williams. Liked how he seemed slightly taken aback/embarrassed when Williams told him not to do anymore photo-bombs and Williams had to quickly clarify that he was just joking.:laugh:

And I'm sorry that Kevin is still struggling with injuries. Hope he is able to come back strong and healthy.

sowcow

On the Ice
So impressed by Nam's performance. The improvement in the past year is just astonishing.

Nam has been improving at a phenomenal rate since moving to Orser. Last year he got the triple axel. This summer he got the quad. Since the fall he's improved his speed.... that bodes well for his future.

Yes, I think the rivalry between ... Nam and Hanyu/Javi in the training environment will really help push everyone involved.

He always had the showmanship. But I really think Orser has been instrumental in helping improve his technical elements.

No doubt Nam's decision to train at the TCS&CC has been the key factor in his incredible improvement this past year.

Nam's strong work-ethic, combined with top-notch coaching from "team-Brian" have clearly served him well. However, I would bet that the key reason/motivation behind Nam's improvement is the daily sharing of practice ice with Hanyu & Javi!

• Take any skater who trains at a local/regional club (where they are the 'top talent') and move them to a national/international training center; and regardless of work-ethic or available coaching expertise, they will 'step-up' their game right from day #1 just due their new 'surroundings' (i.e. other top-level skaters and/or skaters whom they admire). It is surely motivating to skate with skaters who are better than you (and, Nam can't do much better than Hanyu & Javi).

• The same sort of phenomenon happens to many skaters when they take to the practice ice at a Divisional, National or International competition ... just being around other top talent pushes you to improve and train that much harder!

While this "star-struck" effect (for lack of a better name) may naturally fade over time, luckily for Nam he has his strong work-ethic and team-Brian's coaching to drive him further forward. Nevertheless, the biggest driver of Nam's improvement these past ~12 months has likely been, literally, the "stars that can be seen i⃥n⃥ ⃥ by his eyes"!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
thats good to hear, if nam is as half stubburn as yuzuru we will see quad in his SP :laugh: he can even try it at 4CC if he decides to go, it would be great to try it and see before worlds

I thought he did include it in the sp at one of the GP events - oh well; but can he do it with steps?

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I thought he did include it in the sp at one of the GP events - oh well; but can he do it with steps?

he didnt as far as i remember, he does 3A at the beginning and 2 jumping passes at 2nd half, i think thats the reason he didnt add quad so far, he doesnt feel comfortable with his 3A to put it at 2nd half, he does it at LP though (btw thats just my guess)

geoskate

On the Ice
I just hope Liam finds his own style in the future, because right now, if I'm in the mood for this type of skate, I'd just watch Patrick Chan.

Liam is not a copy of Patrick Chan, and never has been. He is skating the way he has for years. The only reason he looks like Patrick Chan is that they both have very strong skating skills, and therefore their skating looks similar.

However, I do agree about the overscoring. He needs a stronger message that the bigger jumps (at least the triple axel) are absolutely required if he is to represent Canada internationally.

Regarding Nam, he has never done a quad in the short program at any competition to date. It will be interesting to see if he adds it at 4CC; if he does attempt it, he very well could land it successfully, given his amazing consistency with that jump to date.

nadster

Final Flight
Liam is not a copy of Patrick Chan, and never has been. He is skating the way he has for years. The only reason he looks like Patrick Chan is that they both have very strong skating skills, and therefore their skating looks similar.

However, I do agree about the overscoring. He needs a stronger message that the bigger jumps (at least the triple axel) are absolutely required if he is to represent Canada internationally.

Regarding Nam, he has never done a quad in the short program at any competition to date. It will be interesting to see if he adds it at 4CC; if he does attempt it, he very well could land it successfully, given his amazing consistency with that jump to date.

Agree with Liam . If he does not get a 3A I can see both Sadovsky and Nadeau passing him. Nadeau was consistent with the 3A and while his PCS is not a good as Liam's it is at least decent.

I hope Belley gets senior B's at least next season. Pity about his FS meltdown at Canadians but he has been otherwise consistent with the 3A all season.

Like both Messing and Balde except both of them are held back with a sloppiness in their skating even though they both express music well.

Regarding Nam, I was disappointed that he did not at least try the 4S in the short in the challenge ( A great place to try as there was no pressure at all on him there ). The challenge is whether he can put in combination or have footwork preceding the jump ( one of which he would have to do in the short )