2015 Canadian Nationals Senior Pairs Free Skate, Jan. 24 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2015 Canadian Nationals Senior Pairs Free Skate, Jan. 24

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Having watched only their SP, I nonetheless see the great chemistry and connection Luba and Dylan have, especially for a new team. Given a little more time, they can be a really beautiful team to watch, with great PCS potential.

peg

Medalist
Canada doesn't usually join US/Russia races, so they are staying out of the inflation race as well.

There still tends to be some Nationals inflation every year. For a couple of years running, Kaetlyn had Nationals total scores over 200, where her PB internationally is 176.82. And while Nam had a fabulous skate today, he never would have gotten that kind of score internationally. I seem to recall one of the commentators a while back saying scores tend to be inflated by roughly 10%.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There still tends to be some Nationals inflation every year. For a couple of years running, Kaetlyn had Nationals total scores over 200, where her PB internationally is 176.82. And while Nam had a fabulous skate today, he never would have gotten that kind of score internationally. I seem to recall one of the commentators a while back saying scores tend to be inflated by roughly 10%.

Given that the top Canadians do tend to do their best at home, especially at the Nationals, their high domestic scores do not reflect excessive inflation, certainly not enough to qualify for the great race.

peg

Medalist
Given that the top Canadians do tend to do their best at home, especially at the Nationals, their high domestic scores do not reflect excessive inflation, certainly not enough to qualify for the great race.
I would agree that there's somewhat less inflation at Canadians than in the US and Russia (and Italy!!!), but some inflation exists. Yes, last Nationals Kaetlyn probably skated better than she did internationally, but not by 40 points (She scored over 207 at Nats last year). Though admittedly, I think the inflation was far greater for her than in general. She was the clear winner, and after she won Nebelhorn and Skate Canada in 2013, the scoring for her nationally went off the charts.

Although Megan and Eric's score here was only roughly 4 points higher than at GPF, they actually skated better at GPF, so it's not an entirely fair comparison. That said, the level of inflation was fairly minimal - no more than 5% as opposed to the expected 10%

katia

On the Ice
I think today Nam Nguyen skated better then previously, so I don't think that there was much of inflation.

peg

Medalist
I think today Nam Nguyen skated better then previously, so I don't think that there was much of inflation.
Yes, he skated better, but I wouldn't say he skated his LP 15 points better than at SA. He didn't make any mistakes there either. He just skated with more speed today.

I agree the inflation isn't crazy, but the scores still aren't comparable to international events

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
I kind of expect SC will send MT/M instead because a) S/B are going to junior worlds and b) the results were so close, so it's not like S/B was clearly superior. Also, in terms of international rep, I think missing Worlds would hurt Mt/M more because S/B are going to junior worlds and will probably win (or a least medal) which will help their rep

But we'll have to wait for the official announcement

sses1

On the Ice
I kind of expect SC will send MT/M instead because a) S/B are going to junior worlds and b) the results were so close, so it's not like S/B was clearly superior. Also, in terms of international rep, I think missing Worlds would hurt Mt/M more because S/B are going to junior worlds and will probably win (or a least medal) which will help their rep

But we'll have to wait for the official announcement

I think this is what they should do instead. I love S/B but their new LP is not polished and those new elements need more training. I'd like them to win junior worlds and use the off season to train their new elements and then start their first senior season off with a bang. Plus, that street cred will definitely make them stand out. If anything SC has shown that they definitely prefer them to MT/M, so securing placements at Nationals in the future shouldn't be too much of a problem if they miss SW's.

rain

Record Breaker
There's just something so exciting about I/M. The first lift in their LP she has such a cool air position, and he is one of the best lifters in the world and they take full advantage of it throughout. A few struggles, but they have so many interesting in-betweens that you sort of forgot about the imperfections. And they relate to each other so well on the ice.

And how could I forget that spectacular entrance into the death spiral. Wow!

kresslia

Medalist
I think this is what they should do instead. I love S/B but their new LP is not polished and those new elements need more training. I'd like them to win junior worlds and use the off season to train their new elements and then start their first senior season off with a bang. Plus, that street cred will definitely make them stand out. If anything SC has shown that they definitely prefer them to MT/M, so securing placements at Nationals in the future shouldn't be too much of a problem if they miss SW's.
I do think this is the best thing to do, though. If you ask me this might be the only chance for M-T/M to even make it to Worlds because I only see I/M and S/B getting better and better.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Luba just needs to work on her jumps, she's rather inconsistent.

Actually this year she's been quite consistent. She's thrown down the jumps at ever comp they've entered but this one I think, and in this one she only messed up one (though it was a costly mistake). I will reserve judgment for now on whether she is still inconsistent or not- anyone can miss a jump once.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
I feel secure with Luba's salchow, individual comps notwithstanding, she's got it, and the toe will be likewise.

With the caveat of "what do I know", there isn't a prayer SC will send MTM 2 to Words and 4CCs instead of SB. SB are ready, conistent, and need the senior international experience, and they've earned the berth. MTM 2 isn't MTM 1 - it's not like MTM 1 finishe behind a junior team and gets the benefit of the doubt due to their track record. SB have a better record. I recall Skate Canada wanting to send Cynthia Phaneuf to Worlds instead of Canadian Champion Amelie Lacoste based on track record, but that didn't work out. The USA dumped Mirai Nagasu for Ashley Wagner at the Olympics, not just because Wagner's track record was better, but she was also a USFSA brand. IMO they'd have done as well sending Nagasu. It's clear SB are ready to jump to seniors, want to go to Worlds, earned the spot, and can compete junior as well as senior World. Why should MTM 2 get it?

peg

Medalist
There's just something so exciting about I/M. The first lift in their LP she has such a cool air position, and he is one of the best lifters in the world and they take full advantage of it throughout. A few struggles, but they have so many interesting in-betweens that you sort of forgot about the imperfections. And they relate to each other so well on the ice.

And how could I forget that spectacular entrance into the death spiral. Wow!
I love them as well. They have such a great connection and nice creativity.

peg

Medalist
I feel secure with Luba's salchow, individual comps notwithstanding, she's got it, and the toe will be likewise.

With the caveat of "what do I know", there isn't a prayer SC will send MTM 2 to Words and 4CCs instead of SB. SB are ready, conistent, and need the senior international experience, and they've earned the berth. MTM 2 isn't MTM 1 - it's not like MTM 1 finishe behind a junior team and gets the benefit of the doubt due to their track record. SB have a better record. I recall Skate Canada wanting to send Cynthia Phaneuf to Worlds instead of Canadian Champion Amelie Lacoste based on track record, but that didn't work out. The USA dumped Mirai Nagasu for Ashley Wagner at the Olympics, not just because Wagner's track record was better, but she was also a USFSA brand. IMO they'd have done as well sending Nagasu. It's clear SB are ready to jump to seniors, want to go to Worlds, earned the spot, and can compete junior as well as senior World. Why should MTM 2 get it?
On the other hand, Kristen twice finished in 4th at Worlds, they are a new team, and have been steadily improving over the course of the season. And S/B barely beat them. Sending MT/M to worlds and S/B medalling at JW means both teams have an opportunity to build a rep with international judges. Then, the two teams can fight it out at next Nationals. Not sending Mt/M means they would have a harder time establishing themselves internationally and SC may want to set both teams up well for the future.

The situation with Ashley was much different because the US was trying to keep those three spots, and a Gracie/Ashley combination had the best chance of accomplishing that. Here, D/R and I/M are the two teams most likely to accomplish that particular goal, so it's more about exposure and international rep.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker

I missed the pairs free tonight, so I have no horse in this race (yet). But on every single performance since 2014 Nationals, Ashley and Mirai proved why the selections happened as they did. That's the worst example to use.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
I love them as well. They have such a great connection and nice creativity.

Agree. They are such smooth, strong skaters their great choreography in the LP just highlights what an excellent new pairing this is.