2015 Canadian Nationals Senior Pairs Free Skate, Jan. 24 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2015 Canadian Nationals Senior Pairs Free Skate, Jan. 24

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm truly shocked by how well Meagan and Eric are skating this season, I've really become a huge fan of them, it's really impossible not to love how focused, determined and powerful they are :rock: And this is said by someone who loves Mao's, Carolina's and Chan's ethereal skating :slink:

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
On the other hand, Kristen twice finished in 4th at Worlds, they are a new team, and have been steadily improving over the course of the season. And S/B barely beat them

SB say they want to go to Worlds. I don't think they competed at Canadians simply for the senior national experience and I'd expect Skate Canada has let them know if they earn the spot they'll go. Most teams steadily improve over a season, MTM 2 isn't unique in that regard, and their improvement still left them in fourth place with mostly clean skates behind teams with some errors. I'd argue it's not experience that MTM 2 require, but improved skating skills. What "rep" will they build with international judges the way they're skating now? In any case, at what point will we find out? I remember there was noise right away after the results in the other situations I was talking about (that you also addressed).

bekalc

Record Breaker
On the other hand, Kristen twice finished in 4th at Worlds, they are a new team, and have been steadily improving over the course of the season. And S/B barely beat them

Kristen did with Dylan. This isn't the same partnership and some of the strengths she had with Dylan aren't there with the new partner. Just because she was fourth in the world with Dylan doesn't guarantee she'll be that successful with someone else...

I don't think Nationals should be the end and end all but for Nationals to be bypassed a team should have a pretty strong record... A team not just one's former team.

Now I do think it might be smart for Canada to send S/B to Junior and Senior worlds and new M/M to Four Continents. But Worlds. No.

Last edited:

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
I just rewatched Moore Towers Moscovitch's long, and it reconfirms my belief that as it stands now, the only reputation they'd get with international judges at Worlds is a bad one. Sure they've improved; during the Grand Prix they had major, unusual problems even for a new team, like a death spiral's credit being completely voided and a lift that went completely wrong, among other things, but more so, just lower quality basic skating. They've settled down and can deliver their program, but his individual skating remains an issue and impacted their performance here. In the long there was a slight false start to the entrance of their first life and once in it she never got to grab her skate. Transitions are sloppy and shaky, speed is inconsistent, and sometimes their movements are tentative. Damned if he doesn't do this weird thing where he walks and steps during some transitions instead of skating. I'd call it a season, take that guy home and drill his stroking like there's no tomorrow, and I'd also find programs that are much more inside his movement/skating comfort zone to cut out some of his weird stiffness. These are the things that make them not ready for prime time, i.e., Worlds.

With the other two teams ahead of them, we clearly have quality skating and the sense that when the elements are delivered consistently we've got world class teams. Here, with MTM 2, even when the elements happen there's so many issues; it's like death by a thousand cuts instead of death by "making a mistake." I probably sound harsher than I mean to sound, but noticing this about him is unavoidable. It's something that can be addressed. I've seen plenty of skaters get deeper into their knees and acquire more flow just by addressing that specifically. I'm not comparing them to Duhamel Radford because DR are their own animal and not my cup of tea as skaters or a team, but obviously what they do is working for them on the international scene.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Seeing the discusion about Worlds team, are I/M eligible? Has she been released or she has to wait?

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Seeing the discusion about Worlds team, are I/M eglible? Has she been released or she has to wait?

They are eligible. She was released in October and they got their TES minimums at a senior B.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Dylan is one of the best Pairs man in the world and he and M.T. had great partnership together. It's her loss it seems so far.

The way Luba and Dylan keep their eyes on each other is reminiscent of Salle/Pelletier. Really good connection for such a new team.

I still wonder if Dylan will stay till the next Olympics. It would be ironic.

rain

Record Breaker
Dylan is one of the best Pairs man in the world and he and M.T. had great partnership together. It's her loss it seems so far.

The way Luba and Dylan keep their eyes on each other is reminiscent of Salle/Pelletier. Really good connection for such a new team.

I still wonder if Dylan will stay till the next Olympics. It would be ironic.

I believe he's said he's in for the next Olympics. What mostly caused the partnership break-up was that he wasn't necessarily committed to the Olympics after that, and Kirsten is. A lot of people seem to pick sides in these team break-ups and make someone out to be a villain that they then actively root against, but I don't think it's that simple. In my opinion nobody should feel as if they are forced to stay in a partnership in which they are not happy, for whatever reason. In this case, it seems Kirsten decided that she and Dylan did not have compatible long-term goals — seems like a fair reason to try something new. I/M are doing great and seem to have clicked instantly into something that has the potential to be better than the previous partnership. Things are going more slowly for MTM2, but I sincerely hope they can also build into something better than the original partnership. Something, at least, seems to be going right. A very close fourth at their first nationals together isn't chopped liver.

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch had stagnated as a partnership. They'd gotten to that second tier in the world, but I'm not sure they could ever have moved any further up the ladder — I'm not sure what they could have changed to get there. With the new pairings — who knows?

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I am not taking sides but wish both former partners well. After all, they have been successful together and brought us much enjoyment. However, in figure skating, a good male partner is much harder to find than a female one. M.T had more to lose when she decided to part with Dylan and so far her new partner can't compare to Dylan.

Still, I wish them both the best in their skating career.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't think its for us to make Kristen a bad person for switching partners. She wants someone to go to two Olympics with. However she did take a pretty calculated risk because there's no guarantee she would make one Olympics with another partner. I don't think giving her international experience is more important than the third place team.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
I believe he's said he's in for the next Olympics. What mostly caused the partnership break-up was that he wasn't necessarily committed to the Olympics after that, and Kirsten is. A lot of people seem to pick sides in these team break-ups and make someone out to be a villain that they then actively root against, but I don't think it's that simple. In my opinion nobody should feel as if they are forced to stay in a partnership in which they are not happy, for whatever reason. In this case, it seems Kirsten decided that she and Dylan did not have compatible long-term goals — seems like a fair reason to try something new. I/M are doing great and seem to have clicked instantly into something that has the potential to be better than the previous partnership. Things are going more slowly for MTM2, but I sincerely hope they can also build into something better than the original partnership. Something, at least, seems to be going right. A very close fourth at their first nationals together isn't chopped liver.

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch had stagnated as a partnership. They'd gotten to that second tier in the world, but I'm not sure they could ever have moved any further up the ladder — I'm not sure what they could have changed to get there. With the new pairings — who knows?

This is a very good point. They also weren't really pushing themselves. Now, with new partners, perhaps they'll push each other and both be better for it.

rain

Record Breaker
I think the Four Continents decision is great. It's often used as a consolation prize for a team or individual who came really close to making the world team and could really benefit from some more international exposure. I'd argue they should have done something similar in ice dance, but P/I need every opportunity possible to get their new FD out there before worlds.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I just love the new team of I/M and I think M-T/M2 is growing on me more. Looking back, I have been dazzled by every team Moscovitch has been a part of so I guess he's the winning factor for me as a skating fan. Loueva is just darling and does seem like a very good fit for Dylan. Their entrance to the death spiral in the FP sent chills down my spine. I think they definitely have the "it" factor.
d
I even love Duhamel and Radford this year. I've always liked them and thought they had great techical skills but their overall programs felt like point-whoring spectacles. I felt I could tell they were doing elements for the points. I think this year they have finally found music and programs that suit them and make all their hard work appear easy and an organic part of the choreography. A well-deserved win for them this year. :)

And I'm glad that S/D get to go to both JW and SW. Still kind of juniorish but they also have that sparkle that makes them so fun to watch.

peg

Medalist
I just love the new team of I/M and I think M-T/M2 is growing on me more. Looking back, I have been dazzled by every team Moscovitch has been a part of so I guess he's the winning factor for me as a skating fan. Loueva is just darling and does seem like a very good fit for Dylan. Their entrance to the death spiral in the FP sent chills down my spine. I think they definitely have the "it" factor.
d
I even love Duhamel and Radford this year. I've always liked them and thought they had great techical skills but their overall programs felt like point-whoring spectacles. I felt I could tell they were doing elements for the points. I think this year they have finally found music and programs that suit them and make all their hard work appear easy and an organic part of the choreography. A well-deserved win for them this year. :)

And I'm glad that S/D get to go to both JW and SW. Still kind of juniorish but they also have that sparkle that makes them so fun to watch.

I think S/B have a really nice connection. Some of their elements do need work, but they are young and have time to improve.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I think S/B have a really nice connection. Some of their elements do need work, but they are young and have time to improve.

I do agree. I wasn't trying to knock them and I definitely think they deserved the bronze over M-T/M. This is still figure skating and I think 'pizazz' should count somewhat towards placement. Seguin certainly has an infectious smile. :)

peg

Medalist
I do agree. I wasn't trying to knock them and I definitely think they deserved the bronze over M-T/M. This is still figure skating and I think 'pizazz' should count somewhat towards placement. Seguin certainly has an infectious smile. :)

I didn't take what you said as knocking S/B. I understood that you liked them :)