Nam Nguyen | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Nam Nguyen

shyne

Final Flight
This is just WRONG for so many reasons. Nam earned his spot at the Gala. He skated two very good programs.
And he is the CURRENT CANADIAN NATIONAL CHAMPION!
It's heartbreaking to see him retweeting so many people asking him why he wast at the gala because he should be.

peese

Medalist
Apparently the decision was made by the ISU for Nam not to be included in the gala! But why, is what we would all love to know. It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Nam himself seems miffed by what transpired. Has anybody else heard anything about this ISU involvement?

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Apparently the decision was made by the ISU for Nam not to be included in the gala! But why, is what we would all love to know. It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Nam himself seems miffed by what transpired. Has anybody else heard anything about this ISU involvement?

From the ISU itself?! That makes even less sense! Why would they do something like that to one of the top 5 skaters at Worlds? :hslap:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
From the ISU itself?! That makes even less sense! Why would they do something like that to one of the top 5 skaters at Worlds? :hslap:

sadly it may be their way of saying "no that Patrick is back, you are not #1 in Canada/#5 in the world, step aside"

Not saying i agree, or support it, but I can't say I am surprised if this part of it.

peese

Medalist
I googled Nam not being invited, and princessbeanyskates wrote a letter to Skate Canada in reference to the situation. Scroll to the comments after her story and that was where I read Deb Smith posting that it was an ISU decision. Couldn't figure out how to copy the link for you xibsuarz. Sorry, not very tech savvy! Hope you can find it and maybe we can dig a little deeper. Let me know if you find it and what you think.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
?? What does the ISU have to do with gala invitations? :dumb: Isn't it solely up to the host federation (except medalists) and its not like Nam broke any regulations/rules. SC needs to come out and address this :furious: And if it really was the ISU (which makes no sense) then the ISU needs to explain their reasoning because really, wth?:angry1:

alia jackson

Record Breaker
So ISU let Kaetlyn Osmond even after her poor placement and a retired Ten skated in the gala because they are Canadian. But did not allowed Nam who is
- Canadian National Champion
- 5th at Worlds
- Had 2 good skates at SC

Is it really ISU? Or Skate Canada?

peese

Medalist
I agree shiroKJ. None of this is making any sense. Going to see if I can find the post or whatever it is from Deb Smith who commented on this being an ISU decision. No disregard at all to others invited to the gala, but why would skaters towards the bottom of their discipline get in and Nam not?!?!

peese

Medalist
And looking again at the lineup....6th place men, 6th place dance and pairs, 5th place ladies, 11th place ladies and Jeremy. As I said before, no disregard whatsoever that these skaters were invited. Love my skating, love them all, but it is really odd!

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I wouldn't mind writing to the SC officials, too. Regardless of Patrick's return, Nam is still a leading man for Canada & has great consistency to boot. He is nothing to sneeze at :roll5:

peese

Medalist
I can't find anything about Deb Smiths' info about the ISU decision. Does anyone know who she is? I totally agree with you satine. Can't imagine how confused Nam must have been. His track record speaks for itself. Showman, great result and skating, Canadian champ, competing in his own backyard. Geez!!!

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
And I wouldn't be so upset if they would have at least had the decency to personally/privately explained to Nam their reasoning for not inviting him. You can see how confused and upset he was on his social medias. I'm very proud of him for handling this so well, but I would not hold anything against him if he spoke out publicly about SC's snub. :angry2:

Sigh...

Eloyse

On the Ice
No, it is not Deb Smith. There is no such person. It was Beverley Smith who commented on her Twitter: this is an ISU decision. Just go check her Twitter then you'll see.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I googled Nam not being invited, and princessbeanyskates wrote a letter to Skate Canada in reference to the situation. Scroll to the comments after her story and that was where I read Deb Smith posting that it was an ISU decision. Couldn't figure out how to copy the link for you xibsuarz. Sorry, not very tech savvy! Hope you can find it and maybe we can dig a little deeper. Let me know if you find it and what you think.

Thank you so much for telling me :) no worries, I found the letter. And I've got to agree with it, Nam's the future of Canadian figure skating, and there's more than enough spotlight to celebrate Patrick's comeback and still give exposure to Nam as the next big thing for their country. Nam's got the big jumps, and can improve on his edges, artistry and refinement. I mean, he's also coached by Tracy Wilson. SC/ISU whoever it had been, needs to give him a chance. I still think he'll silence anyone up there who doubts him by landing on the podium in Russia ;)

I tried searching for anything about the ISU deciding which skaters to invite to the gala but I found nothing except Beverly's reply on twitter :no: but if the ISU were to decide which skaters get to go, why are there always more skaters from the hosting country? If it were the ISU, it theoretically should try to get athletes from different countries (unless they know that home skaters draw the audience in, and that makes Nam's absence even more confusing).

But well, perhaps it is a way of telling him that now that Patrick's back, he's down to no. 2 (not Patrick's fault at all, obviously, but very frustrating). But I found it to be a bit too much, he already got hampered down in PCS during the competition (who said there was going to be home ice inflation for him?), why leave him w/o the joy of the Gala, too? :mad:

peese

Medalist
Thanks Eloyse! Totally makes sense that it came from Beverley Smith. Whomever commented on the article got the name mixed up. Blows me away that the ISU can pull the plug on Nam over the host country. Well...actually I guess it really doesn't.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
If anyone wishes, you can leave a (polite) message asking why Nam was not at the Gala on SC's official FB, located here. You can leave it on the main page or on their post about the Gala, which is here. I'm really curious, so I'll be inquiring about it myself :)