Nam Nguyen | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Nam Nguyen

peese

Medalist
Thanks satine! I will too. Still surprising with social media these days we haven't even heard a whispering to why the decision was made not to include him. Many GP host countries over the years have invited all of their skaters who competed at the event into the gala. Strange...

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Even if they claimed they didn't have space for him, they could have given him Daisuke's spot, since he was in the schedule but had to back out due to illness. It's like they went out of their way to exclude him. I just hope this was a weird one-time debacle and they aren't going to treat him like a second-class citizen as long as Patrick hangs around.

peese

Medalist
I agree silverfoxes, but why all the lower placed skaters being invited before him? So confusing!

peg

Medalist
Wow. I this is really an ISU decision that's hugely insulting to Nam. :angry1:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Curiouser and curiouser. It doesn't make sense from any perspective and decision maker. ISU? :whack:

Why are they against a rising star? What has Nam ever done to them? Is he a threat to any of ISU's agenda? Are they concerned that figure skating may become too popular with too many talents in the future? Concerned enough and petty enough to meddle in a Gala? A Gala, not a competition, WTH.

Congratulations, Nam. You've got the alert attention of the Big Wig.

Khoai

Match Penalty
Curiouser and curiouser. It doesn't make sense from any perspective and decision maker. ISU? :whack:

Why are they against a rising star? What has Nam ever done to them? Is he a threat to any of ISU's agenda? Are they concerned that figure skating may become too popular with too many talents in the future? Concerned enough and petty enough to meddle in a Gala? A Gala, not a competition, WTH.

Congratulations, Nam. You've got the alert attention of the Big Wig.
You think ISU has issue with Mr. Nguyen? I don't think so. Because Skate Canada was paid and organized by Canada fed and the sponsors come from Canada mostly. Maybe someone used the name of ISU to hide from their responsibility, but I guess it comes from Canada fed itself. I think this has to do with the internal issue Mr. Nguyen might have developed with the fed. Maybe Mr. Nguyen and his team had had some clash or disagreement with Canada fed before this event.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I have been reading the Grand Prix announcement pdf in an an attempt to glean some information

http://static.isu.org/media/209550/gp-general-announcement-2015_16_final.pdf

I have not had much luck but section 5.2 might gives us some clue... or at least is the closest to a clue i could find.

Basically it says the host can pick 2 extra exhibition numbers (it specifies non-competing, but i wonder if they mean non-participating in the gala) to add to the gala. This is likely is where Jeremy Ten came from, and he likely took up one of those spots ahead of time. So maybe at the time of the event, they only had one spot they were allowed to just give away, and maybe they felt someone else merited it more.

I am picturing a situation where the ISU picked Kaetlyn as she is "a name" and Canada was left having to pick between Gabby and Nam for their last freebie spot. In that situation, they are both national champs and both finished fifth... who do they pick? I could understand them picking Gabby over Nam. Gabby was the top lady from Canada, Nam was not. I could see some logic in picking her over Nam under that situation... not to mention wanting to have one Canadian lady other than Kaetlyn in case poor Kaetlyn found a new way to hurt herself and ended up withdrawing.... with her that is always an option.

It could be some variation of the above, but the best guess i can come up with is that they only had one freebie they could pick after inviting Ten, and Canada just felt that someone else deserved it over Nam. But it should still be communicated and shared at least with Nam. If they had said "We only had room for one singles national champion, so we went with the one who was the highest placing Canadian rather than the second highest placing Canadian" it likely would have been a bit more palatable. I suspect many people would accept the reason and those that don't agree with it would at least be able to state what they disagree with and at least would likely appreciate knowing the why of it... maybe even appreciate the rock and a hard place position Skate Canada was in.

Their could be a harsh but fair reason for the snub... i would rather them share it honestly rather than leave us to wonder if something more sinister is going on.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
^^ But how could they justify inviting Alexander Petrov in that scenario? If he placed higher than Nam, then ok...but he didn't. And no offense, but I can't see him being some huge draw for the largely-Canadian audience. And again, why not fill Daisuke's spot once that became available.

But anyway, what's done is done, hopefully Nam feels appreciated by his fans and will just be even more fired up now to prove himself.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
^^ But how could they justify inviting Alexander Petrov in that scenario? If he placed higher than Nam, then ok...but he didn't. And no offense, but I can't see him being some huge draw for the largely-Canadian audience. And again, why not fill Daisuke's spot once that became available.

But anyway, what's done is done, hopefully Nam feels appreciated by his fans and will just be even more fired up now to prove himself.

Who is they in your question? Based on what scraps we have it sounds like the ISU made the choices on who was involved so for whatever reason the ISU felt Alexander was a better choice than Nam. Maybe the ISU felt Nam was already known and Alexander needed the exposure, or maybe they wanted to capitalize on the success he had. There can be a strike while the iron is hot mentality, and Alexander had a bit of a breakout skate, so inviting him is not that crazy. To be blunt he likely did have more to gain from the gala than Nam as Nam is already well known and liked. This was a chance for Alexander to build an audience, while Nam already has one. I am not saying it is the right choice, but I can see the practical appeal. The ISU has done stupid enough stuff that if they just overlooked Nam due to stupidity, it would not shock me. Frankly I could see them flat out forgetting Nam is national champ.

I don't think Skate Canada picked Alexander over Nam is what I am saying. The ISU may have picked who they saw as best for a global audience (though most of us seem to think the physical local audience should get more weight) because the ISU often does things that do not make sense. Skate Canada may have not had any say in Alexander being there. It sounds like there is a limit to how many invites Skate Canada gets, and I was just suggesting that they may not have had the power or slots left for Nam. It may not be anything against Nam... so much as others just had stronger arguments and Nam did not make the cut.

As for why the ISU did it, well as I said, they don't always make sense, but I would think them not picking Nam would sting a bit less than Skate Canada. I tend to take a policy of never attribute to malice what can be just as easily attributed to stupidity. I also am a big believer in pointing pitchforks in the correct direction. In this case, I am not sure Skate Canada should be seen as the prime target.

At any rate the PDF is now linked....i encourage any and all to take a gander and see if they can make more sense out of anything. Not all of it is very clear (for instance they say skaters that "qualify" for the gala must skate or face penalties, but they don't state how skaters qualify) but maybe one of us can figure something out.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The only part of the ISU Announcement re exhibition I can find is the following except, pertaining only to the GPF I believe:

9.9 Exhibition

The Invited Skaters/Couples for the final Exhibition Gala are expected to participate with an appropriate show number. Encores as an additional show number are expected from the Gold Medallists. Skaters/Couples who fail to meet these requirements will have their Prize Money reduced by US$5’000 in accordance with paragraph 9.1.

The final exhibition is a part of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final.

GPF Gala is considered a part of the GPF and important enough to enforce with penalty. Same applies to each GP?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
The only part of the ISU Announcement re exhibition I can find is the following except, pertaining only to the GPF I believe:

GPF Gala is considered a part of the GPF and important enough to enforce with penalty. Same applies to each GP?

I think that is the case. I recall slugging through the documents last year and seeing something similar. I tend to think that the penalty and and fee paid should be a bit more equal to one another. I also think that the prize money reduction should be a percent... not more than some of the prizes.

Page 8 has a little bit more info about Galas beyond the section you found... but not much.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I missed P. 8 which actually gave a little more relevant information:

5.2 Exhibition

In each of the six ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events, it shall be allowed to include up to 2 exhibition numbers of either ineligible or eligible Skater(s) from the Member having past tradition and/or reputation , but who have not competed in the respective event (herewith called “extra exhibition numbers”). The extra exhibition numbers may not take place after the winners of the respective events who must skate last in the exhibition.

The inclusion of these 2 extra exhibition numbers is subject to the approval of the ISU President, or if not attainable, subject to approval by the Vice President Figure Skating.

5.3 Exhibition Fee

An exhibition fee to be provided by the Organizing
Member will only be paid to Skates/Couples who are not awarded Prize Money. The exhibition fee is set at US$ 200.00 for Single Skaters (Men and Ladies) and US$ 300.00 for Pairs and Dance Couples. The above does not apply to the Skaters mentioned under 5.2 above.

Jeremy's inclusion fell under those subject to ISU approval. Nam was not in the usual top 4 but not everyone else was.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think under the rules there are three sets of skaters:

Those who are required to participate because of their placing in the competition.

Those who participated in the competition but didn't do well enough to be "required" participants.

Skaters who didn't participate in the competition at all (whether retired from competition or not).

I think rule 5.2 is about the third group; Jeremy is in that group so required ISU approval. Nam is in the second group, along with Kaetlayn Osmond, Petrov, and many other skaters. Maybe ISU approval is required for them to be included, but I don't think 5.2 applies to them. Maybe there's some other rule we aren't seeing?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I searched the PDF and though it talks about skaters "qualified for the exhibition" (in the context of they better be ready, or else!) it never says who that is. I guess the top 3 or 4, but I searched for it and couldn't find it. Maybe someone else will have better luck than I did.