Best program of the year | Golden Skate

Best program of the year

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Okay folks, now that we've seen another year come to an end--and for those of you who saw the cheesefest on ABC, wasn't the use of the Rent song, 525,600 minutes, simply GORGEOUS?--which PROGRAM was the best you saw this year? I know many things to into this equation, i.e. like/dislike the skater, "on" vs flat performance of the program, but try to keep it simple. Think more of the structure of the program, choreography, how it worked well with the music, etc., as much, or more so, than the actual skater.

Hope this makes sense & that there's a point to this:laugh:

Sarah

rusalka

On the Ice
well, I can talk only about ice dance... I liked a lot the FD of Denkova&Staviyskiy and Faiella&Scali.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
For symphonic rock, I liked Fumie's Paint it Black SP and Tim's Queen LP. They weren't as musaky as I'd thought they'd be, but quite nice and the choreo in both was nice IMHO. Kudos to Lori, who I think is anything but "the same old, same old, everytime"

People like to diss Morosov as "too easy" but the one thing I like about his choreo is that his programs have a distinct look and a feel of something that has jelled, even if they aren't as complex as some others, at least they work. I liked Jubert's Matrix and KvdP's Tango SP and Robin Hood LP. Even Kwan's so-so Tosca had a sit-up-and-take-notice ending and Sebastian's Tango LP was her best ever. So, people can whine all they want about lack of inbetweens, at least they have an artistic vision and follow thru on it, as unambitous as it may be. Unfortunately, not everyone can say that about thier LP.

Sasha's Swan Lake at Cambell's. Well there was a lot I didn't like about it, but Kudos to TT for creating a Sasha LP that didn't make me cringe. It was different and interesting and I just wanted to run down and kiss her for changing that dreaded "BeaverCleaver" from the ending pose. It was the first program I had ever seen her do that wasn't "same old, same old". Of course, as the season progressed the life was slowly drained out of it and the BC regained it's rightful place as hideous finish to a mediocre LP.

I enjoyed (gasp: am I actually using the word "enjoy" in the same sentance with P&T!) P&T's Princess of the Circus LP. I thought it was the only memorable program they ever did.

Although Nutcracker is kinda lame, I thought that S&Z did an excellent job with their LP.

I think this is the frist year that I actually "got" Sandu, but I really liked his LP. Very different and left of center.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Dance:

Denkova and Stavisky FD was my fave all season long, I love their style and the detail of the choreography. In second comes the Matrix FD from the Kerrs because that was definitely a good program, everything to do with the music... loved it. And in third I would have the ODs from both D/S and N/K. N/K's straightline footwork was terrific and D/S slow part of the program was... wow.

Pairs:

Petrova and Tikhonov Circus Princess LP My favorite program from them and how nice to see this two fabulous skaters skating something that doesn't make you go zzz.

Ladies:

This one is hard. I loved Swan Lake that Sasha Cohen began the season with but then it got different everytime and at Worlds it was awful. By the end of the season my favorite is definitely Irina Slutskaya's Queen of Spades. Loved the music, the choreography, everything! I also loved Joannie Rochette's LP, she connected so well with the music IMO. Shizuka Arakawa's Turandot at Worlds was fantastic as well, but I think it was more the performance that awed me than the program itself.

Men:

Like happened with Sasha, began the season loving Plushenko's LP because it was a little different for him, but as the season went on I got so tired of it. I think it had tons of potential but somehow it never went beyond the "potential". I LOVED Weir's SP, I have nothing more to say LOL! Same goes for Sandhu's SP, now THAT is a Flamenco/ Tango program, his footwork and interpretation couldn't be better! I think I enjoyed watching all programs for one reason or another, but these two SPs are what stood out the most for me.

Antilles

Medalist
Hmmm, lots to choose from. Sasha's LP at the beginning of the season. I really enjoyed the new LP of T&M. They really impressed me this year. Plushenko's LP. I think he still needs to branch out a bit more, but it was lovely nonetheless.

I agree with Faiella&Scalli's FD. I really enjoy them. B&A's OD. I love the straightline footwork. Sandhu's tango. When he was on, it was great.

Wish I could have seen the Kerrs. I hear so many great things about them.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I think the hands down best program was Shen & Zhao's Nutcracker. It was gorgeous!
Honorable mentions to Fumie's Paint it Black

icenut84

Final Flight
My favourite *programmes* of the year:

Pairs -
Shen & Zhao's Nutcracker LP and Come What May EX
Those two were my favourites, I think, but I also liked Petrova & Tikhonov's Circus Princess LP (especially at Euros) and EX, & Totmianina & Marinin's SP. I can't really think of any others that jumped out at me, off the top of my head

Dance -
Kerrs Matrix FD! :D Wonderful, especially at Euros (and their reactions at the end of it were great. Probably the standing ovation that did it!)
Faiella & Scali FD and OD (IIRC), Denkova & Staviyski FD, also liked Delobel & Schoenfelder's FD (esp. at Euros)

Ladies -
Sasha's Malaguena SP (though I prefer last season's, as this year there were some small changes. Her performance at Worlds was great though). I also really liked Fumie's Mozart LP, and on having seen it more times, Kwan's Tosca is growing on me (definitely liked it better than Sasha's LP). Haven't seen Fumie's Paint it Black or Sasha's 1st Swan Lake yet, but hopefully will soon. Quite liked Kwan's Falling EX too.

Mens -
Plushenko's LP at Worlds, Van der Perren's LP at Worlds, Lambiel's LP at Euros and Worlds (he did different ones). Also liked Joubert's SP & LP, although not as much. Also loved Sandhu's LP.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Sasha's 1st LP & Michelle's Morozov footwork

Two things:

1--Icenut84, you can find the very first Swan Lake from Campbell's, a flawless skate but for a two-footed landing on a triple flip, at
www.cruelladekwan.com

Click on Other Skaters

2--I was just remarking the other day how Morozov's step sequences fit Michelle like a GLOVE--the difference with her old footwork from pre-Morozov programs is night and day. Her body movement, her arms, Morozov's footwork is like a dress that fits and flatters her to no end. Every time she launches into the step sequences, it just feels that Michelle, heart and soul, comes through with 110% intensity and power, as Mathman once said, carving her address on the ice so they know where to send her 8th US Nats championship (& her lifetime achievement award!):love:

Sarah

Antilles

Medalist
I agree Morozov's choreagraphy looks great on Michelle. On some other skaters it's like "another freakin' Morozov program", but hers are wonderful.

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
Here are the programs that I liked/thought were the best!

Ladies
BEST:
Sasha Cohen-Swan Lake
Wow! I loved this program! In my own opinion, I liked her first program with TT and her first dress (the black and white) better. I was totally freaked at Nationals with the new changes made by Robin! But at Worlds and Marshall's it really came together and looked great! My favorite parts where of course the spirals and the smoothness of the footwork (not so much starting and stopping). I liked how she didn't use the Swan Lake music most people think of. I think she made this program her own. She has exquisite emotion and musicality! Great job Sasha! :)

FAVORITE:
Jenny Kirk-Chicago
I really liked this program! The dress was GORGEOUS :love: and the program fit her well! I loved the choreography and she really connected with the audience and had fun! Which I love to see!

Men
BEST
Evgeny Plushenko-Tribute to Najinsky (sp?)
I thought it was really cool that he made his long program a tribute to the great Russian ballet dancer! His programs are always filled with emotion, technicality, and power. He really takes command of the ice and he did EXTREMELY well this season, especially with an injured knee! :eek:

FAVORITE
Brian Joubert-Matrix
I loved this program! It was so cool! The costume, the choreography (he even did the backwards arm thingy before his footwork! :p), and everything looked great! I think this program fit him really well and it looked like he really had fun with it!

Pairs
BEST and FAVORITE
Shen&Zhou-The Nutcracker
They took a classic piece and made it totally theirs! I was so moved at Worlds with their performance! It had passion, emotion, and it just looked AWESOME! :love:

Dance
FAVORITE
Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto-West Side Story
This is one of my favorite musicals and it was so cool they skated to one of my favorites! The choreography, music selection, and their charisma and presentation were fantastic! I really liked this program! :)

BEST
I didn't pick a best because I'm not too familiar with the whole ice dancing scene!

ouridol

On the Ice
Pairs:
Nutcracker--they saved the season, the ONLY program that I liked..and they performed it to perfection by worlds. Masterpiece.
Dance:
D/S's Handel FD. I loved the coreography and I was completely mesmerized when they skated at Worlds. They're just so passionate.
Men:
I'll say that I absolutely adored Evgeny's music at Skate Canada (and I thought the program was ok for Zhenya too) but I agree with someone else who said it here, it never went beyong 'potential'. It just got worse and worse imo and they changed the circular fw to the same knee smacking straightline fw.
women:
Sasha's Swan Lake at Campbells, BY FAR. It was just brilliant. TT did an amazing job coreographing it. She completely took my breath away...the forward scratch, spiral sequence, everything. I just love the Robin's SL ending though, the spiral into combo spin and finally that blur fw scratch...if I could combine those two that'd be THE Swan Lake program.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Arakawa´s "Turandot"
Cohen´s "Swan Lake" (TT version)
Poykio´s short programme

Weir´s short programme
Sandhu´s short programme
Buttle´s freeskate

Shen & Zhao´s "Nutcracker"

icenut84

Final Flight
Re: Sasha's 1st LP & Michelle's Morozov footwork

sarahmistral said:
1--Icenut84, you can find the very first Swan Lake from Campbell's, a flawless skate but for a two-footed landing on a triple flip, at
www.cruelladekwan.com

Thanks. :) I think I'm gonna be sent a copy of it on a video though, so hopefully I'll be able to see it soon!

I forgot one of my favourites from this season - Julia Sebestyen's tango LP. I just really liked it, thought it suited her very well. Hers and Suguri's LPs were probably my two favourites.

I also liked Susanna Poykio's LP & Viktoria Pavuk's SP