2015 U.S. Nationals Gala | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2015 U.S. Nationals Gala

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Really? I loved the IceNetwork commentary. It was so much better than the NBC stuff. Michael Buckley is hilarious, none of it was snarky or pointed, and even when they discussed things like how much more relaxed/fun Max and Gracie seemed with their respective exs instead of their programs they did it in a respectful and sensible way. The background information they gave was interesting - the Novice pair, I think, actually live in different states! - and they talked about technical things like why spotlights can throw off a jump. SO much better than NBC, I can't even - and there were FOUR of them!

On that note - Max, dear, Black Betty's had a good run. I think it's time to retire that ex...

I also :laugh: at the opening number and you can see the men's medallists going "er, uh, what are the steps?" Adam's just like "whee, making up my own thing!" and Josh is staring intensely at other skaters trying to figure out what he's supposed to be doing. :laugh2: And Jason was still wearing his Tristan pants and had obviously just grabbed his hair back into a ponytail and ran - it was everywhere!

I haven't brought myself to watch Jeremy's yet. I'll probably cry.

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I also :laugh: at the opening number and you can see the men's medallists going "er, uh, what are the steps?" Adam's just like "whee, making up my own thing!" and Josh is staring intensely at other skaters trying to figure out what he's supposed to be doing. :laugh2: And Jason was still wearing his Tristan pants and had obviously just grabbed his hair back into a ponytail and ran - it was everywhere!

I haven't brought myself to watch Jeremy's yet. I'll probably cry.

One reason Jason probably looked rushed was because he ignored the call for all skaters to leave the ice after the warm up just prior to the event. He stayed on the ice along with his folding chair and continued to practice for at least another five minutes after being asked to leave the ice. Adam also ignored the call to leave the ice. The zamboni drivers looked shocked and had work around the two of them. Jason didn't leave the ice until they were nearly done resurfacing and just after that the opening number began.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We haven't played back the gala yet (just got home on Tuesday evening after doing some sightseeing in NC & VA), but I am very dismayed to learn that Max's program wasn't shown. He was hot! I was hoping we would get to see Max introduce his sister Maddie & her other Max for their exhibition. Also extremely bummed out that Polina's charming "16 Going on 17" program wasn't shown. I liked that exhibition program more than her competitive free skate program (although I will disagree with Johnny Weir here - I don't think the Peter Pan music is "atrocious"). Jeremy's performance was stunning, and brought me (and a whole lot of others) to tears. Jason's Cotton Eyed Joe is a treasure!

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If you have IceNetwork, iluvtodd, the whole Gala is up (and yes I have indulged). Max was indeed very hot if looking a little tired, little wonder since it was so close to the LP and he was sick. He was particularly cute introducing Maddie/Max. And I loved Polina's Sixteen Going On Seventeen program too, it was fantastic and so clever!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We do have IceNetwork, so once we have a chance, we'll have to watch the whole gala. Thanks a bunch, karne!