2015 Four Continents Men's Short Program Feb 12 Seoul Time | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Men's Short Program Feb 12 Seoul Time

kresslia

Medalist
Interesting.

Thoughts:

Nam adding the quad to his SP: The right choice, and what he needed to really get in the medal mix. His LP scores have been good but the SP has held him down without the quad. Combination too... he's really going for it, good for him.

Jason adding the quad: It's about time! I don't have high hopes of him landing it since it's his first one, but good luck to him anyway! This is also what he needed for sure.

Adam: I know he lands the 4Lz in practice, but it's one of those believe it when I see it kind of things for me. If he lands it and doesn't UR, hats off to the guy.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All these quads aren't so much about winning 4CC, in my opinion, although I'm sure none of them would turn it down.

It's about laying the groundwork for Worlds, where it won't be an option if they want to be in the mix.

Good for them!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

*jaw drops*

Um, am I the only one who feels like this is a bad idea and a repeat of the 3A all over again? :slink:

(I'd almost love Adam, Josh and Jason to land their quads and then herd them into a room with all those idiot journos after the SP at Nationals.)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
*jaw drops*

Um, am I the only one who feels like this is a bad idea and a repeat of the 3A all over again? :slink:

(I'd almost love Adam, Josh and Jason to land their quads and then herd them into a room with all those idiot journos after the SP at Nationals.)

Not thrilled either. We'll do it when we're ready, when we're ready, and *now* they're ready? A month before Worlds?

Not only as a Jason uber do I hope Jason lands it, but maybe if he does land it, no more complaints about the-move-commonly-referred-to-as-sprinkler?;)

caitie

Medalist
Wow about Jason! I hope they are putting it in because it's going well rather than responding to some of the OTT criticism Jason received for winning nationals without one. It should definitely make things more interesting.

Warwick360

Medalist
Noooooooo!!!!! I was looking so much forward to MCM's performance. Granted that his jumps and programs leave much to be desired, his spins are just heaven. :cry: :cry: :cry:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Let's be honest, quad can be mighty consistent in practice, but competition is diffrent beast, so it is good that Jason wants to try and see how it looks in competition. It's part of learning quad. I don't think it will be any drama if he will not land it. First attempt can be hard or can be great

4CC is good place to try it

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm nervous tbh about Jason doing the quad in the SP. If he UR or gets a downgrade, then it'll hurt his score. But if he feels like he's ready, then it's fine with me.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Strangely enough, per pandaatlarge's follow up tweet-- he's not planning it in the FS. This seems like an odd strategy given most who opt out of it in the SP put it in thr FS.

But maybe it's a matter of putting it where it's more clean?

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Strangely enough, per pandaatlarge's follow up tweet-- he's not planning it in the FS. This seems like an odd strategy given most who opt out of it in the SP put it in thr FS.

That is strange because the SP is usually where you try to make sure you're uber clean cause there are less elements but that means more chances for your score to get hurt.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Could be an endurance based issue. Maybe they feel he can manage it in the short, but the energy needed to put it in the long is a strain. Maybe he can skate for 3 minutes with a quad, but runs out of steam too soon for it to be a good idea in the long. If endurance is an issue, putting it in the short makes sense.

They may also not want to mess with the long, again. They did move a lot of jumps to the end, they may not want to do such a back loaded program with a quad, and may not want to shuffle too much around in too short a time. Even one quad at the start, his long would be exhausting.

It could also be a "see how it goes in the short" situation.

It also could be a superstitions "The 3A worked in the short but not the long" mindset. Get it done in the short, rock the long, regroup.

TMC

Record Breaker
*jaw drops*

Speaking of which, Phil Hersh (@olyphil) just tweeted this:

"Was counting planned quad jumps on 4CC program sheets and @jasonbskates is listed for one in SP. That’s probably a typo; will check later"

Seriously :rolleye:

Could be an endurance based issue. Maybe they feel he can manage it in the short, but the energy needed to put it in the long is a strain. Maybe he can skate for 3 minutes with a quad, but runs out of steam too soon for it to be a good idea in the long. If endurance is an issue, putting it in the short makes sense.

They may also not want to mess with the long, again. They did move a lot of jumps to the end, they may not want to do such a back loaded program with a quad, and may not want to shuffle too much around in too short a time. Even one quad at the start, his long would be exhausting.

It could also be a "see how it goes in the short" situation.

It also could be a superstitions "The 3A worked in the short but not the long" mindset. Get it done in the short, rock the long, regroup.

This was my first thought as well: there are only 3 jumps after the quad in the short; perhaps they're going for the squeaky clean approach in the long?

SkateSkates

Medalist
Also, he was already going into the SP with a deficit because he wasn't doing the quad. Assuming the rest of the program is clean, his score shouldn't be hit too much. I agree with StichMonkey above on the issue of endurance and the changes he's already made in the LP. The LP is where he can make up ground with his backloaded program. This seems like the best risk/reward plan. Since he was already basically guaranteed to be at a deficit to guys who rotate and land the quad - why not?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Speaking of which, Phil Hersh (@olyphil) just tweeted this:

"Was counting planned quad jumps on 4CC program sheets and @jasonbskates is listed for one in SP. That’s probably a typo; will check later"

Seriously :rolleye:

In that case, they also put a typo in putting the 3F-3T in the second half instead of the 3Z and the 3A instead of the 3F-3T. Golly, the person who typed these planned element sheets need to be FIRED immediately! :laugh:

TMC

Record Breaker
In that case, they also put a typo in putting the 3F-3T in the second half instead of the 3Z and the 3A instead of the 3F-3T. Golly, the person who typed these planned element sheets need to be FIRED immediately! :laugh:

I'm hoping it was supposed to be "funny", like a "joke" of sorts... ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm hoping it was supposed to be "funny", like a "joke" of sorts... ;)

Phil does seem to have a dry sense of humor, so maybe?

In all seriousness, it probably makes sense, with further thought to put it in the SP rather then the FS, where they basically rearranged a whole bunch of stuff. The SP has pretty much been the same this whole season, heck, since last season. They probably know the max they can score is like 86-something and maybe they want a shot at 90?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Phil does seem to have a dry sense of humor, so maybe?

In all seriousness, it probably makes sense, with further thought to put it in the SP rather then the FS, where they basically rearranged a whole bunch of stuff. The SP has pretty much been the same this whole season, heck, since last season. They probably know the max they can score is like 86-something and maybe they want a shot at 90?

I was looking at the protocols again and it looks like they may have just moved an early 2A to the end, one 2A was already there and the rest is still in order. So I am not sure they changed that much. . . it just feels that way. That being said, I really like the two 2As at the end and want to see him keep it, so I am hoping they feel the same. I think it works well as it is and would be better left put then shoving a quad at the start, I like the energy at the end.

The more I think about it the more I think this makes sense for them. They march to a different beat. He did seem really comfortable with the short at nationals. He is also keeping the 3F+3T rather than changing that to a Lutz, a sign they are staying in the comfort zone as much as possible. My guess is they started running it in practice this way, and it has been going well and clean, so they are going for it.

I could see endurance being an issue for Jason. He did mention dealing with it earlier this season and not running out of steam in the long. The quad takes a lot of energy, he may find he can do it in a short, but not a long. I see no real harm in doing it this way if it works for them. Still doing the quad. And who knows, it may be a wait and see thing to.

TMC

Record Breaker
I was looking at the protocols again and it looks like they may have just moved an early 2A to the end, one 2A was already there and the rest is still in order. So I am not sure they changed that much. . . it just feels that way. That being said, I really like the two 2As at the end and want to see him keep it, so I am hoping they feel the same. I think it works well as it is and would be better left put then shoving a quad at the start, I like the energy at the end.

The more I think about it the more I think this makes sense for them. They march to a different beat. He did seem really comfortable with the short at nationals. He is also keeping the 3F+3T rather than changing that to a Lutz, a sign they are staying in the comfort zone as much as possible. My guess is they started running it in practice this way, and it has been going well and clean, so they are going for it.

I could see endurance being an issue for Jason. He did mention dealing with it earlier this season and not running out of steam in the long. The quad takes a lot of energy, he may find he can do it in a short, but not a long. I see no real harm in doing it this way if it works for them. Still doing the quad. And who knows, it may be a wait and see thing to.

They did also switch the 3-jump combo with the single Lutz after Rostelecom

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Also he has yet to skate the FS completely and squeaky clean in competition (or any FS in his senior career really; TEB was close, but he popped the second 3A). This season, Nationals was the closest, but that second 3A was still UR and two-footed. So yeah, it makes sense they don't fool around with that program.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
They did also switch the 3-jump combo with the single Lutz after Rostelecom

Correct! I kinda forgot that was a change since he did it unplanned at Rostlecom. And again, something that works really well at the end.