2015 Four Continents Men's Short Program Feb 12 Seoul Time | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Men's Short Program Feb 12 Seoul Time

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Also they have yet to skate the FS completely and squeaky clean in competition (or any FS in his senior career really; TEB was close, but he popped the second 3A). This season, Nationals was the closest, but that second 3A was still UR and two-footed. So yeah, it makes sense they don't fool around with that program.

Plus it is a great way to get people to scratch their heads in confusion! I think it likely is just that he is more comfortable with it in the short, and it does make sense for him as a skater. Let him worry about other stuff in the long, but if he is comfortable with it in the short, why not.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm hoping it was supposed to be "funny", like a "joke" of sorts... ;)

Unfortunately, in the conversation that followed under the Tweet, Phil said that he could not check it out immediately because of the time difference. He really thinks it could be a typo. Which it could be, I guess, but to tweet as your first reaction? :rolleye:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, in the conversation that followed under the Tweet, Phil said that he could not check it out immediately because of the time difference. He really thinks it could be a typo. Which it could be, I guess, but to tweet as your first reaction? :rolleye:

And what do you want to bet even if Jason lands it old Phil will have some weird complaint about when he does not do it?

I think he did have another tweet that listed Jason's quad as one of the ones planned, so I guess he is believing it for now.

TMC

Record Breaker

Seriously? That's just plain rude :mad:

There are only two ways it could be a typo: the entire plan is a big ole typo, or he's planning to open with a 3T.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
OTOH, Hersh does seem to take Jason's planned quad perfectly seriously (unless proven otherwise) in another tweet, IMO. It's the one right after he muses about a possible typo, and right before he replies to someone about needing to check later b/c of the time difference.

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil
BTW: On 4CC program sheets from ISU, the 26 men have 29 quads (SP/LP) planned - 4 by US: @jasonbskates (1), @Adaripp (2), @joshDfarris (1)
7:58 AM - 10 Feb 2015
https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/565177964636430336

ETA, sorry that I had overlooked that Stitch already had mentioned this tweet earlier.

... I think he did have another tweet that listed Jason's quad as one of the ones planned, so I guess he is believing it for now.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker

There are only two ways it could be a typo: the entire plan is a big ole typo, or he's planning to open with a 3T.
In Phil Hersh's mind, that's more likely than 4T. :rolleye:

Hersh does seem to take Jason's planned quad perfectly seriously (unless proven otherwise) in another tweet, IMO. It's the one right after he muses about a possible typo, and right before he replies to someone about needing to check later b/c of the time difference.

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil
BTW: On 4CC program sheets from ISU, the 26 men have 29 quads (SP/LP) planned - 4 by US: @jasonbskates (1), @Adaripp (2), @joshDfarris (1)
7:58 AM - 10 Feb 2015
https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/565177964636430336
Wait, Josh is only planning one quad between two programs? (Not that I mind, but I thought he said he'd go for both after Nationals... please don't tell me he's still injured. :hopelessness:)

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

It is possible he is moving his 3Z to the first jump, then the 3A, then the combo in the second half. If that is the case, then it would just be one type, i.e. 3Z to 4T, which is weird, but if you see enough quads in a row, maybe you get into a habit. Who knows. I actually think it might not be a bad idea for him. I think it was highly uncalled for as a comment. But I guess if Phill's goal is to be a tabloid journalist, he succeeded, we are talking bout him.

TMC

Record Breaker
It is possible he is moving his 3Z to the first jump, then the 3A, then the combo in the second half. If that is the case, then it would just be one type, i.e. 3Z to 4T, which is weird, but if you see enough quads in a row, maybe you get into a habit. Who knows. I actually think it might not be a bad idea for him. I think it was highly uncalled for as a comment. But I guess if Phill's goal is to be a tabloid journalist, he succeeded, we are talking bout him.

Fair point :laugh:

Scovies

Final Flight
Speaking of which, Phil Hersh (@olyphil) just tweeted this:

"Was counting planned quad jumps on 4CC program sheets and @jasonbskates is listed for one in SP. That’s probably a typo; will check later"

Seriously :rolleye:

I watched his interview with The Skating Lesson and I wasn't really impressed.

It's a little unusual to plan a quad in the SP but not the long, but I can see why for the reasons everyone has mentioned. The 2nd half of Jason's LP takes a lot of energy, given how backloaded it is, and he's already shuffled the jump layout there enough. Even if he URs in the SP, he can still come close to 80 points and not set himself too far back. I'm a little surprised he's not going for a 3Z-3T for his combo, though. I guess he wants to stick to the 3F-3T if he's upping the difficulty elsewhere, since he can pretty much do that in his sleep.

If he does want to add a quad in the long, he might want to think about doing the 3Z-1Lo-3S in the front half of his program again rather than making it his last difficult jumping pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
If Jason were to get a downgrade on the quad (to a 3T) would he still get credit for the 3F-3T combo? I don't know rules for SP.

andromache

Record Breaker
In Phil Hersh's mind, that's more likely than 4T. :rolleye:

Wait, Josh is only planning one quad between two programs? (Not that I mind, but I thought he said he'd go for both after Nationals... please don't tell me he's still injured. :hopelessness:)

I was assuming he'd be going for the quad in both programs too. Planned layouts can always change though. Hopefully he's not injured and skates well regardless, quad or no! (Although I was really hoping to see a quad in both programs, just to prove he's competitive for a potential top 6 spot heading into Worlds.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If Jason were to get a downgrade on the quad (to a 3T) would he still get credit for the 3F-3T combo? I don't know rules for SP.

Yes. It only becomes a problem if he actually pops the jump into a 3T. Then he would have to do a 3F-2T to avoid zayaking.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I've not read anything from here, but the page is already boisterous before any competition begins!
The unpredictable men's event will be a highlight of 4CC, I guess? :laugh: :cheer:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yes. It only becomes a problem if he actually pops the jump into a 3T. Then he would have to do a 3F-2T to avoid zayaking.

Thank you Mrs. P! Hopefully they have made a Plan B just in case he does pop it. Not to be negative or anything. Presumably with what happened to Josh at Nats it will be fresh in their minds.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

But some have 3T-3T combos. That's 2 3T's. So how is doing a 3F-3T still Zayaking? Btw, how do you even pronounce "zayak" anyways. I have a feeling I've been pronouncing it wrong.

LRK

Record Breaker
Phil does seem to have a dry sense of humor, so maybe?

In all seriousness, it probably makes sense, with further thought to put it in the SP rather then the FS, where they basically rearranged a whole bunch of stuff. The SP has pretty much been the same this whole season, heck, since last season. They probably know the max they can score is like 86-something and maybe they want a shot at 90?

I'm reminded of Liza and the 3A; she too has been talking about (potentially) putting it into the SP - not the FP. Because she says she is so comfortable with the other jumps that she feels that putting the 3A in instead of the 2A would actually be less stressful. Something similar with Jason?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
But some have 3T-3T combos. That's 2 3T's. So how is doing a 3F-3T still Zayaking? Btw, how do you even pronounce "zayak" anyways. I have a feeling I've been pronouncing it wrong.

Zayak= Zy-ak?

For some reason 3T-3T as a combo is fine and isn't part of the zayak rule, but somehow, when you do two separate 3Ts, that is a problem.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zayak= Zy-ak?

For some reason 3T-3T as a combo is fine and isn't part of the zayak rule, but somehow, when you do two separate 3Ts, that is a problem.

Oh good. That's how I've been pronouncing it the whole time.

This for a SP right?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It will be interesting to see who really can lay down the quad when it counts and not just the talk. For some reason I think Jason is rushing it because the plan was to debut it next season. As for Nam he skates young - too young for a medal BUT he arguably is far more consistent than Farris Brown or Rippon.