2015 Four Continents Practice reports | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Practice reports

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I love practice repo, IMO, great indication, usually, Skater competes accordingly with only minor deviance. If skaters does clean or near clean run-through in practice repeatedly, they will probably go clean.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I love practice repo, IMO, great indication, usually, Skater competes accordingly with only minor deviance. If skaters does clean or near clean run-through in practice repeatedly, they will probably go clean.

Shoma fell or didn't complete most of his jumps in practice for JGPF and then won with a near-perfect performance.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
what I said is general situation. Shoma's case is perhaps an outlier. All my experience is that, practice really is a good indicator of skater's condition. Which also means that if Shoma repeatedly falls or do bad practices, his good competition result may only be a fluke. I like Shoma and wish him good luck here.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
what I said is general situation. Shoma's case is perhaps an outlier. All my experience is that, practice really is a good indicator of skater's condition.

I guess, it's the outliers that stick in the mind most. For another example, Jeremy Abbott seemed to always do well in practice...but then when it came to competing. :eek:hwell:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
another thing about practice is that, you can really see skater's changes in their skating. but need to watch fancams closely, a simple one sentence repo like clean run-through etc. give out only very limited information. e.g. Shoma even if he falls many times, but perhaps there is some improvement in his skating, or, he is testing something or trying to get used to ice etc. all those, you can get via watching practice closely. or even better live.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess, it's the outliers that stick in the mind most. For another example, Jeremy Abbott seemed to always do well in practice...but then when it came to competing. :eek:hwell:

Same with Gracie. If she skated like she does in practice she would probably have another National title and at least a few more GP titles and perhaps even a World medal but sadly she gets all nervous and uptight when she competes.

Last edited:

doze

On the Ice
Same with Gracie. If she skated like she does in practice she would probably have another National title and at least a few more GP titles and perhaps even a World medal but sadly she gets all nervous and uptight when she competes.

Don't we all get nervous?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Don't we all get nervous?
How nervousness affects the skaters performance is what varies from skater to skater. That's what causes some of the unpredictability of Figure Skating. -And gives me stomach cramps when watching skaters live.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I would say @2015 national, Gracie skated just like her practice, hitting board in SP is unfortunate, but LP only a mistake for that 3F, which she also messed up frequently in practice.
Sometime, repo could also be biased, I just read two completely different repo regarding Satoko. one say she is fast and covers lots of ice and has huge ice presence, and another say she is slow and skate like a novice. :laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I would say @2015 national, Gracie skated just like her practice, hitting board in SP is unfortunate, but LP only a mistake for that 3F, which she also messed up frequently in practice.
Sometime, repo could also be biased, I just read two completely different repo regarding Satoko. one say she is fast and covers lots of ice and has huge ice presence, and another say she is slow and skate like a novice. :laugh:
:confused::confused:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How nervousness affects the skaters performance is what varies from skater to skater. That's what causes some of the unpredictability of Figure Skating. -And gives me stomach cramps when watching skaters live.

You ain't kidding when you say we can get stomach cramps when watching skaters live....if that you mean livestream. Or live live. Though only one skater has managed to make me get cramps, I don't get extremely nervous for others until they actually compete.

doze

On the Ice

I get stomach cramps too, and I start to shake. :shrug:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thank you!

That's too bad about Jason, but on the other hand -- he has an easy back-up plan if it's not going well in practice -- switch the 3Z for the 4T.

4T<< 4.1 - GOE
4T< 7.2 - GOE
3Z - 6 + (likely GOE)

Might be worth just doing the 3Z and getting the +1 he usually does.

Somebody at FSU reported that they saw Jason's quad attempts in practice at Nats and they didn't sound great there either. So I'm kind if curious as to the strategy. Maybe he does it well at home and just had to work through the nerves and they think this is a low stake comp?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
YEP same...I use it as an excuse to stay home.

A few times I thought I was going to pass out.

I once had to apologize to one of teachers last semester because I hyperventilated a LOT that day. Though actually that time was a DOUBLE hyperventilation. 1st part: Autumn Classic 2014. 2nd part: I found out one member from 5SOS (LOVE that band) was in the hospital with appendicitis.

doze

On the Ice
A few times I thought I was going to pass out.

I once had to apologize to one of teachers last semester because I hyperventilated a LOT that day. Though actually that time was a DOUBLE hyperventilation. 1st part: Autumn Classic 2014. 2nd part: I found out one member from 5SOS (LOVE that band) was in the hospital with appendicitis.

The most I've ever freaked out/hyperventilated was during the Olympics last year.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The most I've ever freaked out/hyperventilated was during the Olympics last year.

2014 Autumn Classic and 2015 Canadian Nationals was when that happened.

The former might have been worse cause I hyperventilated for a full 25-30 minutes.