2015 Four Continents arena music thread | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents arena music thread

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
In some of the competition threads, you might have noticed some references to the Korean pop music playing during warm-ups and in-between skaters. I thought it would be fun to link to some of the tunes and talk about some of the artists you may have heard this week.

Korean pop is best known by its abbreviation, K-pop. K-Pop is a bit of a misnomer given that the songs can take on a number of different music genres including hip-hop, dubstep, house, soul, etc. etc.

K-pop could arguably be one of the major exports of the Republic of Korea, i.e. South Korea, along with cars and consumer electronics. There has been a great interest in K-pop worldwide. And many of you know Psy's "Gangnam Style," a song that went viral in the summer of 2012.

K-pop hasn't totally been a complete success story. Korean pop artists work crazy hours and basically bound to these long-term contracts. Promotions could include multiple performances in a single day and little to no sleep. Some artists have had to sue their record companies to get out of long contracts (know as slave contracts) or to get the money they earned.

Here are few links where you can get a little more insight on the music genre.

Factory Girls - A really comprehensive look at K-Pop in The New Yorker

K-Pop Discord Spotlights Artist Lament -- from the Wall Street Journal.

So now for the music. Here are a few artists you've heard this week.

Girls Generation -
Since debuting in 2007, this eight-member girl group (formerly nine, more on that in a sec) has dominated the Korean market. They are also known as SNSD, an acronym for their Korean name, So Nyeo Shi Dae. The ages of its members range from 23 to 25. Their early songs were super candy cute, but as they got older, they started working with producers who integrated different styles to create a more mature sound. They also have built a very successful career in Japan as well. Last year, the group was down to 8 when one of its members quit/got fired. The details are murky but the claim is that that member, Jessica, wanted to pursue other activities, including a fashion line that was in conflict with the group.

What you heard in the arena:
The Boys - This song came out in 2011. This was also the song they used when they debut in the U.S. They performed this song on The Dave Letterman Show.

Oh! - This song came out in 2010. It's a pretty peppy song and the group incorporated a sports theme in their live performances. In fact, Girls Generation did an homage to Yuna Kim, who had just won the OGM at the time, at one live performance (you'll see a reference to her beloved James Bond SP).

KARA -
This group debuted in 2008, but went through several member changes. For most of their tenure, they were a five-member group, but then two members left. They were replaced with a member that was chosen through an American Idol-like television show.
They were moderately successful in Korea, but their bread-and-butter was their career in Japan. Arguably they were more popular there than in Korea. In fact, their later songs had more of a J-Pop feel, a contrast to some of their more cute songs.

Lupin: This song came out in 2010. This is arguably one of the most popular songs they had in Korea. The song is a bit dark compared to some of their past songs. The song is noted for some key dance moves, such as the "emergency exit dance."

Pandora: This song came out in 2012. This is one of the songs where I feel their time in Japan was quite influential. This has a more electronic J-Pop feel compared to some of their songs up to this point.

Mama Mia: This song came out late last year, the first for KARA as a four-member group. With the new group dynamic, there was yet another change in style. Namely to a more sexy vixen, rather than the energetic dance pop in their last few singles.

Hyuna

She is actually part of the four-member girl group, 4 Minute, however her charisma has enabled her to stand on her own. She sings and raps. Several of her songs have gotten notice from American music critics. She has a vixen image, though outside of her stage persona, she seems to be a down to earth person. Before 4 Minute, she was part of the popular girl group Wonder Girls. However, she left after the first single back in 2007 due to sickness. She debuted with 4 Minuted in 2009.

Bubble Pop: Despite its sweet sounding name, Hyuna has the sex appeal on full tilt in the music video. The actual song is very peppy. It was mentioned in an article on K-Pop on pitchfork.com.

Other bands heard in the arena (going to add details in due time)

SISTAR - Touch My Body; Alone
Crayon Pop - Bar, Bar Bar
EXID - Every Night
Big Bang - Fantastic Baby
Psy - Right Now, Gentleman
Super Junior - Sorry Sorry
EXO -
APINK - No No No, Luv
9MUSES - Dolls
4 Minute - What's My Name?

I'll be writing more about other songs you've heard in this post. In the meanwhile, let's talk K-Pop.

Last edited:

creaturelover

On the Ice
In some of the competition threads, you might have noticed some references to the Korean pop music playing during warm-ups and in-between skaters. I thought it would be fun to link to some of the tunes and talk about some of the artists you may have heard this week.

Korean pop is best known by its abbreviation, K-pop. K-Pop is a bit of a misnomer given that the songs can take on a number of different music genres including hip-hop, dubstep, house, soul, etc. etc.

K-pop could arguably be one of the major exports of the Republic of Korea, i.e. South Korea, along with cars and consumer electronics. There has been a great interest in K-pop worldwide. And many of you know Psy's "Gangnam Style," a song that went viral in the summer of 2012.

K-pop hasn't totally been a complete success story. Korean pop artists work crazy hours and basically bound to these long-term contracts. Promotions could include multiple performances in a single day and little to no sleep. Some artists have had to sue their record companies to get out of long contracts (know as slave contracts) or to get the money they earned.

Here are few links where you can get a little more insight on the music genre.

Factory Girls - A really comprehensive look at K-Pop in The New Yorker

K-Pop Discord Spotlights Artist Lament -- from the Wall Street Journal.

So now for the music. Here are a few artists you've heard this week.

Girls Generation -
Since debuting in 2007, this eight-member girl group (formerly nine, more on that in a sec) has dominated the Korean market. They are also known as SNSD, an acronym for their Korean name, So Nyeo Shi Dae. The ages of its members range from 23 to 25. Their early songs were super candy cute, but as they got older, they started working with producers who integrated different styles to create a more mature sound. They also have built a very successful career in Japan as well. Last year, the group was down to 8 when one of its members quit/got fired. The details are murky but the claim is that that member, Jessica, wanted to pursue other activities, including a fashion line that was in conflict with the group.

The Boys - This song came out in 2011. This was also the song they used when they debut in the U.S. They performed this song on The Dave Letterman Show.

Oh! - This song came out in 2010. It's a pretty peppy song and the group incorporated a sports theme in their live performances. In fact, Girls Generation did an homage to Yuna Kim, who had just won the OGM at the time, at one live performance (you'll see a reference to her beloved James Bond SP).

KARA -
This group debuted in 2008, but went through several member changes. For most of their tenure, they were a five-member group, but then two members left. They were replaced with a member that was chosen through an American Idol-like television show.
They were moderately successful in Korea, but their bread-and-butter was their career in Japan. Arguably they were more popular there than in Korea. In fact, their later songs had more of a J-Pop feel, a contrast to some of their more cute songs.

Lupin: This song came out in 2010. This is arguably one of the most popular songs they had in Korea. The song is a bit dark compared to some of their past songs. The song is noted for some key dance moves, such as the "emergency exit dance."

Pandora: This song came out in 2012. This is one of the songs where I feel their time in Japan was quite influential. This has a more electronic J-Pop feel compared to some of their songs up to this point.

Mama Mia: This song came out late last year, the first for KARA as a four-member group. With the new group dynamic, there was yet another change in style. Namely to a more sexy vixen, rather than the energetic dance pop in their last few singles.

I'll be writing more about other songs you've heard in this post. In the meanwhile, let's talk K-Pop.

Love Girls Generation. Have they been playing recent songs or mainly the older songs?

s_parks

Record Breaker
I admit I love the older songs and artists (think 80s to 90s), and not so much the idol music these past couple of years, with a couple of exceptions. Been loving Akdong Musician the most among the newest artists. Most of the Korean music I listen to these days consists of indie, some hip hop, and ballads(mostly older releases), more than the kpop people typically think of.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I admit I love the older songs and artists (think 80s to 90s), and not so much the idol music these past couple of years, with a couple of exceptions. Been loving Akdong Musician the most among the newest artists. Most of the Korean music I listen to these days consists of indie, some hip hop, and ballads(mostly older releases), more than the kpop people typically think of.

That's sort of me also. I'll add some hip-hop/indie recs to my post. Got any you want me to mention?

I also like AKMU as well.

s_parks

Record Breaker
That's sort of me also. I'll add some hip-hop/indie recs to my post. Got any you want me to mention?

I also like AKMU as well.

Yoon mi rae, gilme(pretty obscure, but she's a good rapper and singer), epik high, leessang, etc... choi sam is also great(hasn't debuted mainstream, though). So good

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Exo's Growl was another. They're one of K-pop super-large groups. Originally there were 12 members, split into 2 groups that performed & promoted almost exclusively as 2 separate groups; Exo-K (for Korean) & Exo-M (for Mandarin). Now two members from Exo-M have left due to their company SM Entertainment's well-reported "slave contracts" (that's how they're referred to as & plenty of their signed artists have sued to leave in recent years :p).

Lay aka Zhang Yixing is my favorite member :eek:: He's also the least popular :scowl:

eta: if anyone would like to know what "slave contract" entails, watch this informative vid

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Exo's Growl was another. They're one of K-pop super-large groups. Originally there were 12 members, split into 2 groups that performed & promoted almost exclusively as 2 separate groups; Exo-K (for Korean) & Exo-M (for Mandarin). Now two members from Exo-M have left due to their company SM Entertainment's well-reported "slave contracts" (that's how they're referred to as & plenty of their signed artists have sued to leave in recent years :p).

Lay aka Zhang Yixing is my favorite member :eek:: He's also the least popular :scowl:

eta: if anyone would like to know what "slave contract" entails, watch this informative vid

Uh, I don't follow exo but I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that lay is the least popular.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker

SM an their slave contracts :disapp: . Still I truly enjoy the music they produce, sigh...

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Uh, I don't follow exo but I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that lay is the least popular.

From interview coverage, lack of screen time on their own personal show they had (was it called Showtime?), the amount of fan signs at concerts, etc. Him & Suho were definitely the least popular from what I had seen (I kept up with them from their debut all the way until Kris announced his leave), but then Suho started to gain popularity over him after their XOXO comeback.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So thrilled that they played my favorite 9Muses song, "Dolls" after Jason Brown's skate. It's like a double reward. Jason skates well, I get to listen to a wonderful song (well a snippet anyway. :)) while I wait for the scores.

Tonight's K-Pop mix was great. I think there was Sister's "Alone" (like that better than either of the Sistar songs they played the other night), A Pink's "No No No" and some other faves.

w_darling

On the Ice
Finally able to catch up on the hundreds of forum posts on a lazy Saturday morning (for me) and I was very entertained by all the kpop references. Seems like the other threads are descending into the circular discussions that always follow an event so this is a nice thread to find :drama: I didn't think that there would be so many kpop fans here :laugh:

The... uh... xenophobia is pretty high lately in Korea re: the kpop scene (mostly because of SME, too....) but I think that Lay/Yixing is fairly popular overseas? As far as I can tell from tumblr & twitter at the very least, even if doesn't claim the #1 spot in many fans' hearts, he's thought to be a sweet boy and a very goodhearted person, which honestly is the best kind of reputation I think you can get as a celebrity :)

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
The... uh... xenophobia is pretty high lately in Korea re: the kpop scene (mostly because of SME, too....) but I think that Lay/Yixing is fairly popular overseas? As far as I can tell from tumblr & twitter at the very least, even if doesn't claim the #1 spot in many fans' hearts, he's thought to be a sweet boy and a very goodhearted person, which honestly is the best kind of reputation I think you can get as a celebrity :)

Oh I agree, he's definitely more popular with overseas fans compared to Korean ones. Chinese fans are obv more warmed to him as well. :thumbsup:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks guys for all the reports and insights! I didn't realize there were so many K-pop fans on GS. :D

I put some bands I recalled hearing during Pairs/Men. I will put notes on them later. :) Let me know if there's any other bands you heard!