2015 Four Continents GALA | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents GALA

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Other than Polina's musical...err rendition to Sound of Music, I enjoyed this gala :biggrin:

edit: is her EX music from 16 going to 17? well that made it more worse...

Last edited:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I love Josh's sappy programs :biggrin::thumbsup: Keep em coming.

And Kailani's dress is just :jaw: droppingly beautiful! :love:

andromache

Record Breaker
I'm not a Bruno Mars fan...but then again I didn't really care for Ed Sheeran until Josh happened :love:

Skategmt

On the Ice
Oh really? I liked Polina's 16 going on 17 gala. Because, well, SHE IS!

I liked it, and my initial thought was the Polina is 16 going on 17 like Liesel in the movie/musical. Maybe that's a message that she wants people to see, that she is mature even though she doesn't come across initially that way. Just an idea:)

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I only watched a few of the programs from the gala, but I have to say I LOVE :love: Rika. So nice to see her doing something that isn't Carmen. I love that she has a personality and isn't a princess type. Get some better programs next season and I will count myself as a fan.

Misha: love his energy, but there was too much dancing in place, not enough skating for my liking. And those pants need to be burned. :disapp: Is there any video of Jin Seo's ex? (he did one, right?)

I probably shouldn't like Polina's ex given that I'm allergic to all things girly and princessy, but she sells it really well. Great choreo. Did Rudy do this one, too? She just needs a new costumer, stat.

Last edited:

nieves

On the Ice
Ok it's def not as bad as people here say. It's got the same playfulness as Mao's Mary Poppins ex (although that one is much better).

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How nice of them to invite Kailani Craine to the gala. I'd not seen her skate before. She's got a lot of promise and she is a natural performer. Of all of the "2nd tier" skaters, she was the one who stood out to me. Hope to see more of her in the future.

I liked it, and my initial thought was the Polina is 16 going on 17 like Liesel in the movie/musical. Maybe that's a message that she wants people to see, that she is mature even though she doesn't come across initially that way. Just an idea

I agree. When Polina speaks she sounds mature beyond her years. She just needs to ditch the braids, and hope she will get her braces off soon, too. We'll see a more mature Polina next year.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
the finale really is a group of dorky cute skaters, reminds me of the dorky cute dance Yuna/Mao/Javi/Koz/V/M etc does at their first senior year.(for the link please visit Yuna fan thread, a little ad here wont get me a warning I suppose:p)

Florentina

On the Ice
I didn't think Polina's ex was that bad at all. I dislike the music but you can hardly expect everyone to choose music according to your likes. Her movement and expression were quite nice. I thought that she should use this dress for her LP. Much nicer IMO.

humbaba

Final Flight
There's nothing wrong with Polina's ex. program. However, there might be something wrong with the reasoning of those who think "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" is too childish for a girl who is sixteen years old. Perhaps next season Polina will skate to Frank Zappa's "Dirty Love". Maybe that will be "mature" enough to placate her detractors.:sarcasm:

Last edited:

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
I didn't think Polina's ex was that bad at all. I dislike the music but you can hardly expect everyone to choose music according to your likes. Her movement and expression were quite nice. I thought that she should use this dress for her LP. Much nicer IMO.

I also didn't think her ex. was horrid. It sounded like the crowd was really into it. I was thinking the exact same thing that she should use her ex. dress for her long program. It fits her much better and is way less distracting. Now if she could just get RID of those braids........

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I enjoyed W/P's EX the most; the chemistry was really great. :love: I also like Polina's EX; the music choice was right for her. The dress would fit to her current LP dress. Rika's zombi EX was a real fun and entertaining. I had a mixed feeling about So Youn's EX; why couldn't she deliver her ability at the competitions? She was not injured or having a growth spur like Zijun had. She and Gracie should've handled pressure if they want to step up to the next phase. Anyway, Zijun's EX was mesmerizing on the ice.

Krunchii

Record Breaker

It was too sugary sweet for me but she is 16 going on 17 so if she likes this music, now is the best time to do, I agree with the costume though, I think this one have a better fit on her body than her LP dress

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, I wasn't expecting this kind of response, or to need to post this clarification, but sometimes you can get surprised by what other people pick up on, and what they don't.

Firstly, can I make it clear - I like Polina Edmunds! (Of course I do - she's half-Russian after all! ;) ) And, unlike a lot of the people complaining about her, I did actually like her Free Skate. The only problem was that I liked Zijun's more. :)

Secondly, I do not have a problem with Polina's choice of Gala music. I like the Sound Of Music, and I like the song "16 Going On 17". And, given that Polina is 16, it is a very appropriate choice of music. :agree:

The problem I have is with Polina's interpretation of the music. And I made it very clear what my problem was in the comment I posted straight after her performance, and which I edited slightly half an hour later:

I'm sorry Polina, but I can't watch this!

This is taking the children's theme to the extreme!

I loved Mao's Mary Poppins routine, and there is no denying she was seriously cute. But the difference there was that she was a woman playing a woman. She wasn't a teenager playing a teenager as if they were a child.

And she certainly wasn't overplaying the part, and the cuteness, like you.

GROW UP, POLINA!!!

CaroLiza_fan

I have commented a few times over the past few years that I have been uncomfortable watching some programmes from Elena Radionova and Julia Lipnitskaya, because I felt that the characters they were portraying were too old for them.

Well, with Polina Edmunds it is the opposite. The characters she is portraying are too young for her.

It has been a few years since I last watched the Sound Of Music. But, if I remember correctly, Liesl was very mature for her age. Polina may be the same age as Liesl, but the character she was portraying out on the ice certainly wasn't. Polina's character was more like an 8-year-old than a 16-year-old.

Once a teenage girl goes through puberty and acquires her new curvier body, it is time to stop playing a child. It is time to start playing a young woman.

Polina hasn't. She has continued to play a child. And watching a teenager with a womanly figure playing a child is as uncomfortable to watch as watching a teenager with a child's figure playing a woman.

I don't know whether it is Polina herself or her coaching team that are behind her continuing to play a child. But, it is time she started playing characters that are more suitable for the person she has now become.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Florentina

On the Ice
OK, I wasn't expecting this kind of response, or to need to post this clarification, but sometimes you can get surprised by what other people pick up on, and what they don't.

Firstly, can I make it clear - I like Polina Edmunds! (Of course I do - she's half-Russian after all! ;) ) And, unlike a lot of the people complaining about her, I did actually like her Free Skate. The only problem was that I liked Zijun's more. :)

Secondly, I do not have a problem with Polina's choice of Gala music. I like the Sound Of Music, and I like the song "16 Going On 17". And, given that Polina is 16, it is a very appropriate choice of music. :agree:

The problem I have is with Polina's interpretation of the music. And I made it very clear what my problem was in the comment I posted straight after her performance, and which I edited slightly half an hour later:

I have commented a few times over the past few years that I have been uncomfortable watching some programmes from Elena Radionova and Julia Lipnitskaya, because I felt that the characters they were portraying were too old for them.

Well, with Polina Edmunds it is the opposite. The characters she is portraying are too young for her.

It has been a few years since I last watched the Sound Of Music. But, if I remember correctly, Liesl was very mature for her age. Polina may be the same age as Liesl, but the character she was portraying out on the ice certainly wasn't. Polina's character was more like an 8-year-old than a 16-year-old.

Once a teenage girl goes through puberty and acquires her new curvier body, it is time to stop playing a child. It is time to start playing a young woman.

Polina hasn't. She has continued to play a child. And watching a teenager with a womanly figure playing a child is as uncomfortable to watch as watching a teenager with a child's figure playing a woman.

I don't know whether it is Polina herself or her coaching team that are behind her continuing to play a child. But, it is time she started playing characters that are more suitable for the person she has now become.

CaroLiza_fan

Why do you feel the need to justify yourself? As far as I can see nobody jumped at you for your comments. In the end, you expressed your opinion about Polina's EX and others (including myself) did too. Some agreed with you, while others didn't. It's all just our individual perception, there is no right and wrong. If we all liked the same programs for the same reasons, then what would we be talking about?