2015 Four Continents GALA | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents GALA

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm living a nightmare right now. I'm severely jet-lagged and I haven't even left my city... and I need to go back to work tomorrow morning.
Coffee and a huge pastry may fix things a bit...It helps for me.
BTW, I'm so glad that you share your vids with us here. The live streams were pretty bad for a lot of people, so getting to see the vids so soon after broadcast was a treat. So thanks again. :bow:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Coffee and a huge pastry may fix things a bit...It helps for me.
BTW, I'm so glad that you share your vids with us here. The live streams were pretty bad for a lot of people, so getting to see the vids so soon after broadcast was a treat. So thanks again. :bow:

Maybe tomorrow morning. Right now, I need to figure out how to get to sleep (and not keep throwing off my schedule for the rest of the week).

I never get sick of hearing the 'thanks', even if I don't reply to each one individually. :) If I ever stopped hearing from folks, I'd probably eventually cease the effort. As long as people are watching and are appreciative, it continues to be a worthwhile endeavor for the time being.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Maybe tomorrow morning. Right now, I need to figure out how to get to sleep (and not keep throwing off my schedule for the rest of the week).

I never get sick of hearing the 'thanks', even if I don't reply to each one individually. :) If I ever stopped hearing from folks, I'd probably eventually cease the effort. As long as people are watching and are appreciative, it continues to be a worthwhile endeavor for the time being.

I will stop replying to you RIGHT HERE so you can get your sleep. Oyasuminasai (have a good sleep)

skatemouse

On the Ice
Galas at each competition have home skaters no matter how they placed, this is not something exclusive to Korea. GPF gala had Hurtado/Diaz, who weren't even competing (and I'm glad they got invited, they were great!)

Yes but this was a little overboard and when Oly will be in Korea I think there should be more of a balance. Invite an MVP type any place that is cool but that was a lot of skaters and seemed not balanced. That said I worry about NBC covering a major event with a skater that is from Korea or another country that places 18th or? instead of a place much higher. I love that local skaters or others were invited and if it were a more comparable comp. like Sectionals? not an NBC worthy one it would sit better. I think it is great but I also worry about getting coverage for NBC if this is going to be happening. Just a concern. Invite the top 4 plus one from each discipline and maybe 4 other special performances. Good balance and also gives the athletes something to shoot for in a major competition while also encouraging NBC coverage we need more figure skating on NBC!!!:eek:hwell:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Why do you feel the need to justify yourself? As far as I can see nobody jumped at you for your comments. In the end, you expressed your opinion about Polina's EX and others (including myself) did too. Some agreed with you, while others didn't. It's all just our individual perception, there is no right and wrong. If we all liked the same programs for the same reasons, then what would we be talking about?

I can see your point. Nobody did specifically refer to what I said.

But I just got the impression that a few of the comments were indirectly referring to my opinions. Especially since one of them came from a member who seems to enjoy disagreeing with me...

I know, I'm probably just being insecure.

CaroLiza_fan

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I cannot believe how many posts are picking on Polina's youthful choice. Didn't Zijun Li skate to Sound of Music in her ex too when she was about the same age and people loved it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRQKl6_r9_0.
Polina is still a very young lady. Her hair does not bother me that much either. Ladies in some European folk dance have that kind of hairstyle (correct me if I am wrong though). I admire Polina for her strong nerves, which put her far more mature than many "mature" ladies out there.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes but this was a little overboard and when Oly will be in Korea I think there should be more of a balance. Invite an MVP type any place that is cool but that was a lot of skaters and seemed not balanced. That said I worry about NBC covering a major event with a skater that is from Korea or another country that places 18th or? instead of a place much higher. I love that local skaters or others were invited and if it were a more comparable comp. like Sectionals? not an NBC worthy one it would sit better. I think it is great but I also worry about getting coverage for NBC if this is going to be happening. Just a concern. Invite the top 4 plus one from each discipline and maybe 4 other special performances. Good balance and also gives the athletes something to shoot for in a major competition while also encouraging NBC coverage we need more figure skating on NBC!!!:eek:hwell:

Your concern about "NBC-worthiness" makes absolutely no sense to me.

NBC will air two hours of tape-delayed coverage of Four Continents this weekend.
But NBC never covers the galas anyway -- with the exception of those at US Nats and the Olympics, AFAIK.

As for the 2018 Olympics gala, I for one have no doubt that NBC/Gannon/Weir/Lipinski will cover it. Figure skating always is a staple of NBC's Olympic coverage.
Taped excerpts of the gala will air during NBC's primetime coverage, and NBC can pick and choose whose gala programs it wants to air.
I can't see that it would make any difference to NBC how many Korean skaters are invited to the gala.

Doesn't bother me at all that Korea showcased its skaters in the Four Continents gala.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I found Polina's gala skate just to see what all the fuss was about. I liked it better than many of you, I think. It was playfully choreographed, the costume wasn't as over-embellished and she skated well. I thought that it was really cute that they included Liesl's squeal in the music and Polina nailed the end pose from the movie choreography.
I have a theory about her music choice. Last fall, the Children's Musical Theater in San Jose, CA had a huge production (four separate casts) of "The Sound of Music". As Polina skates in the same town, chances are really good that she knew people involved with the production. (One of my nieces played Gretl.) Maybe it was a hometown shout-out.
Hope that makes you feel better about it. :laugh:

aa456

On the Ice

Maybe KSU wanted to focus on developing and showcasing their own skaters for their TV coverage and audience.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I watched Sound of Music not that long ago and thought Polina's playfulness was very much in line with Liesl's.

Lipea

Final Flight
I don't get why so many people think that ladies skaters have to look "mature" and criticize those who don't? If by rules 15 y.o. can compete in Senior international competitions, you have to accept them in the age they are, and they are indeed charming in that age. What's the point for a 16 y.o. to portray the feelings she has never experienced? I understand it can be annoying when girls/ladies are trying hard to be pretty and the performance is about that. I could see it in So Youn, but not in Polina. Polina has a big character and she is clearly shows that in particular in that Gala.
What's wrong with braids? Braids look great on ladies-skaters, esp. since it is also a comfortable hair style to skate. So-called "French" braids (Yuliya, Polina) lift up the cheeks and always give more classical and sophisticated look.
I also don't understand what's wrong with her dresses that everyone criticizing them so much. Those wide-open back dresses noone seem to criticize almost always look bad, making a skater's athletic back look bigger than it is, more athletic and less feminine. Unlike those dresses, Polina's dresses have nice sleeves and moderate neck opening; shades of pink seem to suit her better than other colors.
I can imagine if Elena would wear that sort of dress it would look overly girlish. But Polina is not a girly girl. She is tall, not skinny, has very nice lines. Those braids and dress look very balanced to her face and body right now. Eventually she will take off her braces and you will see quite a beautiful woman, whose style I'm sure will be appropriate to her age.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So over the Polina hate. She's 16 people, she's going to do and wear what she wants regardless of what others may say. She is her own person. She has always had a thing for bright colored, sparkly skating dresses and wore maribou trim on quite a few of her competition dresses back in her novice and junior days. Be grateful her FS dress doesn't have a fluffy boa around the skirt because I'm sure she thought of that. Sure, her dresses may be a bit tacky, but so are the dresses of 2/3 of the rest of the field. And I thought the exhibition dress was pretty and the program was cute. Polina will be a knockout in a couple years when she looses the braces and finishes growing into her body. In the meantime, I don't have an issue with her dressing like the gawky teenager she is, I almost find it endearing. Anyways, people should be focusing on her skating more than her outfits, and her skating is really good.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Also, how is portraying a 16 turning 17 year old girl in her gala Polina portraying a child? I thought it was a cute concept because POLINA IS THE SAME AGE AS LIESL WHO IS SINGING THE SONG! She is not portraying an 8 year old nor does she look 8 years old in that dress.

As for her FS, she is portraying a fairy. Fairies aren't people, they are ethereal creatures that are essentially ageless, so nope, not getting how she is portraying a little kid there either. The dress color is a bit tacky, but I don't think the style of the dress is young at all. In a different color, it would look pretty, mature, and conservative. And maybe she just likes to wear flowers and braids in her hair. The flowers make the hair look young but I had no qualms about the way her hair was styled in her gala. She didn't have any flowers or butterfly clips in it. Since when are french braids for "little kids" only? Polina is not trying to look 8 or 12. Some people seem to think that because she is not trying to look 25 at the age of 16, that she is automatically packaged immaturely. Nope sorry. She's 16 and she looks and dresses like it as far as I'm concerned.