2015 Junior Worlds Ladies Free Skate | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2015 Junior Worlds Ladies Free Skate

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
I think that you’re both just a step away from common ground.

Do you recall Deems Taylor’s narration for Walt Disney’s “Fantasia”? How he distinguished the “absolute” music of Stokowski’s transcription of Bach’s Toccata in Fugue from the narrative of Beethoven’s “Pastoral” symphony?

It is the same in figure skating, where the skater always interprets the music, but the music being interpreted may be music as music or music which tells a story.

The music may also suggest a character. The stunning quality of Yulia Lipnitskaya’s “Schindler’s List” program was not merely for her technical virtuosity, but because of the way she conveyed her sense of a gamine being driven by the wind of great tragedy. The music undoubtedly resonated with her, or else she could not have expressed it as well as she did.

Among the leading American ladies today, the short program is usually set to a piece of music as music, while the long program tells a story or presents a character. So Samantha Cesario had Farag’s “Danza Mora” for her short and Carmen as her long, Gracie Gold skates her short to a Grieg piano concerto and is the Christine Daae of Andrew Lloyd Weber’s “Phantom of the Opera” in the long, and Polina has a flamenco-themed short and is a woodland nymph dancing to themes from James Newton Howard’s “Peter Pan” score in her long.

Ashley Wagner is a little different from the others, for the theme from Khachaturian’s “Spartacus” used in the short seems to complement her woman of passion in the “Moulin Rouge!” long.

One thing about the music used now by skaters which is very different from that of skaters of the past is its coherency. Themes are usually taken from the same piece or at least the same composer, without the jarring contrasts of bits and pieces intended to serve as backdrop to spins and jumps. Peggy Fleming’s free skate at the 1968 Grenoble Olympics was cobbled together from five different pieces of music by composers as diverse as Rachmaninoff, Saint-Saens, and Rossini, though in that case, the unifying element was her own extraordinary artistry.

NaVi

Medalist
You're not alone, many many fans, commentators, etc, felt that Wakaba deserved more, probably enough for the silver and a 1st place on the FS.

Jenny Kirk who is definitely not pro-Russian thought Sima should have won the FS. A lady who was in the audience who posted her comments here thought Wakaba just went from element to elements bam bam... and liked the two Russians much better and she mentioned how the audience seemed more involved in the Russians skates.

Last edited:

Leonardo

Final Flight
Jenny Kirk who is definitely not pro-Russian thought Sima should have won the FS. A lady who was in the audience who posted her comments here thought Wakaba just went from element to elements bam bam... and liked the two Russians much better and she mentioned how the audience seemed more involved in the Russians skates.

Sure, some people agreed with the scores, some didn't. Many think that Wakaba's excellent skating skills and performance ability should have been scored higher, not to mention her amazing jumps. Sima and Wakaba scored very very close, 185.57 to 186.15, it's very difficult to decide which skater was the best overall anyway.

ks777

Record Breaker
and what is your point? My mom's best friend's boyfriend's daughter thought Wakaba should have won, so did my neighbors daughter's best friend's mom.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
and what is your point? My mom's best friend's boyfriend's daughter thought Wakaba should have won, so did my neighbors daughter's best friend's mom.
:laugh2::clap::points:

NaVi

Medalist

I could say the same thing to the person I was responding to... except the people I cited have a little bit more authority... having you know 1. won a junior world championships 2. witnessed the junior world championships in question in person.

I don't want the "Wakaba wuz robbed" crew to get the last word by creating their own fake bandwagon. The initial reactions from many here to Wakaba getting bronze were ridiculous to the point of calling it rigged. No, Wakaba's FS is pedestrian and completely forgettable.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I don't want the "Wakaba wuz robbed" crew to get the last word by creating their own fake bandwagon.
So, you're only posting so that you, and your opinion, is "the last word"
Is being the last to post, supposed to make your opinion more valid?

Not that you've posted any valid discussion/opinion/argument anyway.

-_-

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
So, you're only posting so that you, and your opinion, is "the last word"
Is being the last to post, supposed to make your opinion more valid?

Not that you've posted any valid discussion/opinion/argument anyway.

-_-

Yeah, yeah there are opinions, no doubt. The problem is that for some reason over the last year I never heard here the opinion that ANY Russian lady "wuz robbed" with the exception of Carolina vs. Pogo case. Coincidence or "evil Russian mafia"?

peg

Medalist
Yeah, yeah there are opinions, no doubt. The problem is that for some reason over the last year I never heard here the opinion that ANY Russian lady "wuz robbed" with the exception of Carolina vs. Pogo case. Coincidence or "evil Russian mafia"?

Maybe because it's harder to say someone 'wuz robbed' when they won :shrug: :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe because it's harder to say someone 'wuz robbed' when they won :shrug: :laugh:

:laugh: I was thinking the same thing ;)

I think this sport is much too fun to get caught up in the whole wuz robbed thing. I do find hypercritical comments to be quite abundant these days and I'll stick up for any skater I feel is receiving it. It just so happens I find myself defending a lot of Russians these days. :laugh:

Becki

Medalist
I could say the same thing to the person I was responding to... except the people I cited have a little bit more authority... having you know 1. won a junior world championships 2. witnessed the junior world championships in question in person.

I don't want the "Wakaba wuz robbed" crew to get the last word by creating their own fake bandwagon. The initial reactions from many here to Wakaba getting bronze were ridiculous to the point of calling it rigged. No, Wakaba's FS is pedestrian and completely forgettable.

I was very impressed with Wakaba's skate. She has very powerful and explosive jumps, and since figure skating is a sport afterall, I think her supreme technical abilities should be rewarded handsomely. Additionally, I find her skating very lyrical and her speed across the ice amazing. In fact, I think she has very good skating skills, despite what other people are saying.

The Russian duo are very good, but I feel like their jumps are not as good as Wakaba's. They don't have much flow out of their jumps, and their jumping technique looks a bit wild. Although their flexibility is quite amazing, and they do have better spins than the other girls.

If I had to bet money on the future, I would bet it on Wakaba. Two cents that she will become a world champion by 2017 :)

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
All the rage about Evil Russia is kinda bizarre, when the exact opposite scores are happening with the men.
some peopple only will be satisfied when our sportsmen arent on the podium in any discipline
Then it would be fair;)

As I did with SP, I will post a little recap of my experience in Tallinn Arena at Ladies FS

To begin with, I was really happy to see quite a number of spectators there. And everybody was supporting skaters!
This time I went with my mother, who is a dance teacher. So we had sometimes quite a discussion.
Now, some comments, opinions etc.
- Evgenia MEDVEDEVA - Amazing performance, deserved crowned a champion! I expected a higher score. However, this lutz was indeed "e", but everything else was superb. I have to say, I say her performing more freely, but I can get it as she was the leader and knew she had no room for mkstakes(especially skating after Serafima and Wakaba).
- Serafima SAKHANOVICH - She was superb. Great performance, yes, some landings were tight, but landed. 3S+3T+2T! And... the crowd was clapping all the way until the end. She really sold the programme, making it look like easy and telling the story. I loved, loved it! I think she deserved this silver, congrats, Sima!
- Wakaba HIGUCHI - Jumps-yes, impressive! We did not really feel it was her programme and compared to the Russians there was less connection and performance. I did feel it was a lot of the time - element, element...another element. Now, I was really surprised when I saw her TES being 4 points higher that Sima's(in the arena we do not see the TES box). Her flip did not look right and if you give "e" to Sima and Zhenia, please give at least "!" to Wakaba as it was a lip.
- Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA - Loved, loved, loved this performance! She was light, everything looked so easy. This is HER programme and you can feel it. Side note: Brian Orser's reactions during performance are really cute.
- Maria SOTSKOVA - I was so happy Maria delivered! She did look nervous in the beginning and the landings were not 100% there, but everything was landed.
- Yuka NAGAI - Honest opinion: I did not like the programme. For me everything -> her style, music, costume were not connected.
- Karen CHEN - I will repeat my statement from SP thread-> her SS and speed are amazing. Honestly, I am not really a fan, but I was really disappointed about the falls as everything else was superb. Side note: we though the costume was a little too sparkly...
huge thanks for all the reports from the comp:love:
& your thoughts like 99% align with mine!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Honestly, I think Wakaba's and her coaches' face at her scores announcement was very much on point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7V98doHis0

What the actual heck. That program was 100% flawless, the speed was practically impossible to believe, the edges were clean and precise, the footwork was intricate and difficult. Sure there was not as much classical musicality as say in Yuna's programs, but it's not like the other girls were stellar in that department either. In the style of skating, the execution of jumps and speed, Wakaba still has the best presentation. The final rankings are BS, and the reason I don't even follow figure skating anymore, or at least to a much lesser degree than I used to back in the day.

I was very impressed with Wakaba's skate. She has very powerful and explosive jumps, and since figure skating is a sport afterall, I think her supreme technical abilities should be rewarded handsomely. Additionally, I find her skating very lyrical and her speed across the ice amazing. In fact, I think she has very good skating skills, despite what other people are saying.

The Russian duo are very good, but I feel like their jumps are not as good as Wakaba's. They don't have much flow out of their jumps, and their jumping technique looks a bit wild. Although their flexibility is quite amazing, and they do have better spins than the other girls.

Thank you! Someone gets it :clap:

Also, the exhibition is indeed beautiful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jyAkmGT8Pk

Can someone seriously say that she is "less artistic" than Medvedeva? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7c5JsKJcSI Like....really? Medvedeva skated that exhbition like any other Junior skater you might see at your local rink. Wakaba, on the other hand, reminded me of no other than Michelle Kwan; her edges, her grace, her style, her choreography and interpretation were telling of her brilliance far beyond her years. Comparing her artistry to that of the two "winners" is like comparing Heaven and Earth.

Last edited: