Sota Yamamoto | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do I need to get something pulled out? :hpull:

:thank: for your concern. I think I'll be okay for now but if it doesn't get better, I'll see a doctor.
That particular translation I did was hard but I usually only do ones that are fun or easy to do :biggrin:

Thank you for your efforts on all that translating! That was a LOT of work. The interview had so much good info and gives good insight into Sota, his training, etc.

mikaboo

Medalist
Thank you for your efforts on all that translating! That was a LOT of work. The interview had so much good info and gives good insight into Sota, his training, etc.

No problem at all! Sota is not a complicated person (or so it seems) so he's easy to translate. Don't make me translate anything Machida has written though.

mikaboo

Medalist
Bombarding this thread again with more translations to add for the OP.
This interview was held by Pigeon Post (team of figure skating journalists) to Rika, Rin and Sota after their first competition of the season in early August. I've just done Sota's part. Nothing really new here except maybe the talk about costumes.
http://pigeon-post.net/interviews/2015SummerCup_teamNAGAKUBO.html

2015 Summer Cup (Team Nagakubo) Rika Hongo, Rin Nitaya, Sota Yamamoto interview
By Seita Toyofuku, Fujiko
August 9-10, 2015

*Reflecting back on the competition*

The 3A in the SP fitted well with the music but I made a mistake with the 3Lz for the 3Lz-3T which I usually don't have problems with. I wasn't conscious of it, but I think I may have been a little careless with it.
For the FS, I attempted a quad for the first time in competition. I've been doing well with it during practices but I was too careful with it in competition.
But this is still my first competition of the season so I'd like to work on the issues I found here and try to overcome them as much as possible.
Results: http://www.jsfresults.com/local/2015-2016/fs/25/01/index.htm

*Introduction of 2015-2016 programs*

I usually leave the music choices up to my coach but I decided on them this season.

SP "Poeta" Choreographer: Kenji Miyamoto
The music itself is really cool and it'll be a change of image for me. (Regarding getting guidance from Stephane Lambiel at the Junior Training Camp) I'm not good at expressions and although dancing with a flow is nice, he told me to "be aware of stopping after every motion because it's flamenco" so I concentrated on that the most.
Did you see Lambiel's Poeta?
I watched it many times on video. In a word, it so "cool" and his movements were sharp until the end even though it was his FS.

FS "Piano Concerto No. 1" (by Tchaikovsky) Choreographer: Kenji Miyamoto
For the FS, I thought it would suit me when I watched Maxim Kovtun skate to it. I concentrated too much on the jumps too much last season so I'm trying to focus on the expressions this season. The success rate for my jumps have increased so I'm hoping that everything will go up a level.

How are the costumes made?
I tell the costume maker my music title and they draw about 5 designs that suit the music. My mother and I choose from that and send the design to my coach and once he approves, they start making it. (The stones) might get in the way during practices but they don't bother me during competitions.

How are your quads coming along?
I've been landing them as long as I rotate them and have been landing them during runthrus. The 3A is in the 2nd half so I struggle a little with that but the quads are in the 1st half so it's easy to focus on them. The 4T was successful during the runthru but I think I must have been too careful today.

How are you planning your off-season?
My first JGP of the season will be in Colorado Springs. It's on a very high altitude so I'm focusing on increasing my stamina.

*Team Nagakubo Special*

You're originally from Osaka and moved to Nagoya to train. Is the training style different to you're from?
The training at Howa Skate Club is more "concentrated" compared to when I was in Osaka. Not just the training but the warm-ups as well. I think doing all the trainings everyday is building up my mental strength.

I heard that the Howa Training Camp was hard as well.
We had 6 hours of on-ice training. I'm not sure if it's because my stamina has improved, but I was able to work hard.

Is there anything that Coach Nagakubo has told you that has remained on your mind?
Recently, he told me during my 3A and 4T practices to "skate before taking off for jumps". I tend to panic or rush before rotating so he tells me to be careful and "skate".

*Goals for this season*

To get a gold medal at JW. But instead of just peaking there, I'll have to do well in each competition or I won't be able to get good results at JW so I want to value each and every competition.

mikaboo

Medalist
This is probably the most recent article about Sota when he was chosen as one of the 15 "2016 Next Symbol Athletes" by the Japan Olympic Committee. This news came after his withdrawal from JW so I remember it as being like a ray of light at the time.
http://www.joc.or.jp/news/detail.html?id=7334
I've just translated the first 2 paragraphs but Sota's name can be found on the list at the bottom of the article.

"Next Symbol Athletes" decided for 2016
March 29, 2016

The Japan Olympic Committee (JOC) has chosen 15 athletes to become the "2016 Next Symbol Athletes" to promote the NIPPON ATHLETES Marketing Program. More athletes will be added to the list as they are decided.

As symbol athletes of the next generation, the athletes are expected to perform well at international multi-sport events including the Olympic Games, the athletes and the sport they represent are chosen from those who support the ideology of the Olympic Games, the athletes will be trained to suitably represent Japan, and the athletes will cooperate with JOC's Olympic Movement business promotion and marketing activities.

--------
Okay, I think I'm done for the time being. The OP should be ready soon!

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Bombarding this thread again with more translations to add for the OP.

Thanks again for your job! I thought that costume of FP was too decorative with many stones and frills for skating, but he doesn’t mind it at all…
Still I’m a bit worried about his training environment at Nagakubo’s, but I must believe in him...

BTW, I wonder if Sota may keep both or one of the programs of this season. He seems to love the Miyamoto’s works and have much thought of the choice. Further, he missed Junior Worlds (Too sorry for him to think that he must have skiped it for the injury) and they seems to be a bit far from the perfection. Especially, Poeta has left much to improve since it is difficult to express.

Last edited:

mikaboo

Medalist
Thanks again for your job! I thought that costume of FP was too decorative with many stones and frills for skating, but he doesn’t mind it at all…
Still I’m a bit worried about his training environment at Nagakubo’s, but I must believe in him...

BTW, I wonder if Sota may keep both or one of the programs of this season. He seems to love the Miyamoto’s works and have much thought of the choice. Further, he missed Junior Worlds (Too sorry for him to think that he must skip it for the injury) and they seems to be a bit far from the perfection. Especially, Poeta has left much to improve since it is difficult to express.

I wondered about that too, that he might keep one of the programs because he missed the biggest competition of the season to skate them at. Ah well, we'll find out what's going on soon I hope :drama:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
OP is original post, but of course opening post would work too. It is the first post on the thread.

JuliaHols

On the Ice
I wondered about that too, that he might keep one of the programs because he missed the biggest competition of the season to skate them at. Ah well, we'll find out what's going on soon I hope :drama:

I kinda hope he doesnt just cause i want him to go seniors with new programs but i suppose considering the injury he probably won't have much time?
Also cause i don't usuaoly like skaters reusing programs unless they are Yuzuru Hanyu or Ashley Wagner :) but like Boyang kept the same programs and I just find it not quite as exciting especially the long program...although i do really lile Sota's free skate music but it doesnt seem like he knows how to fully express it and that's fine cause he'll learn but when he's in seniors, i feel like people are gonna think he's lioe Boyang and not musical when in fact i find him quite musical in terms of timing jumps etc. I would love to see more sharp movements in Poeta too but thats another story..

mikaboo

Medalist
It's been a long time!
He's back on the ice.:yahoo:

I kinda hope he doesnt just cause i want him to go seniors with new programs but i suppose considering the injury he probably won't have much time?
Also cause i don't usuaoly like skaters reusing programs unless they are Yuzuru Hanyu or Ashley Wagner :) but like Boyang kept the same programs and I just find it not quite as exciting especially the long program...although i do really lile Sota's free skate music but it doesnt seem like he knows how to fully express it and that's fine cause he'll learn but when he's in seniors, i feel like people are gonna think he's lioe Boyang and not musical when in fact i find him quite musical in terms of timing jumps etc. I would love to see more sharp movements in Poeta too but thats another story..

Getting 2 new programs would be ideal but like I wrote before, I'd prefer it if he kept his SP just because I love the music.
At this point, I just wish to see him back to competing with a healthy pair of ankles (feet, knees and hips too) next season!

Last edited:

JuliaHols

On the Ice
Omgomgomgomg YASSSSS SOTA'S BACK ON THE ICE AND BACK FROM HIS TWITTER SILENCE!!!! HALLELUJAH