2015 Worlds Free Dance March 27 | Page 50 | Golden Skate

2015 Worlds Free Dance March 27

Bumdid

Record Breaker
And then later in the broadcast, she said C&B's was the best sd for her. but she was watching on her phone. :shrug: It was an interesting TSL section, but I am not entirely sure what to make of it.

Well, she also said at the end that P/C SD was the moment of the competition for them. I think she liked P/C SD the best then followed by C/B's paso. For free dance, I think they like W/P the most :confused:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
None of the dances this year were particularly interesting, but then there are basically NO dances at all under this system that fully go with the music. P/C's FD is quite overrated in particular. They had the best lines and most expression out of all the competitors but most of the actual movement just felt pasted over the music, nice as it might be. The girl's edges were really not good enough to deserve a World Champion title either.

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
The girl's edges were really not good enough to deserve a World Champion title either.

I disagree Gabby has beautiful smooth edges.Note C/L won worlds with Anna with not great edges .Madison Chock about the same as Anna IMO.The dancers I think have good edges are Hubbell Paul Ilinhk Shibutani Weaver .

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
C/L shouldn't have been World Champions, so there's that.

When I look at the girl's blades in the P/C coupling it doesn't scream World Champion to me. She's fine enough, but I don't think the program was all that special either, so it's just like..."this is the best now???". It was a very weak year for the discipline. With the twizzle mistake that P/C made, it would seem apparent that W/P deserved to win, even if they weren't particularly inspiring. They showed the better skating skills between both skaters AND better understanding of the music, IMO. People seem to have been really carried away by superior choreographic beauty of P/C.

Last edited:

juliajk

Rinkside
C/L shouldn't have been World Champions, so there's that.

When I look at the girl's blades in the P/C coupling it doesn't scream World Champion to me. She's fine enough, but I don't think the program was all that special either, so it's just like..."this is the best now???". It was a very weak year for the discipline. With the twizzle mistake that P/C made, it would seem apparent that W/P deserved to win, even if they weren't particularly inspiring. They showed the better skating skills between both skaters AND better understanding of the music, IMO. People seem to have been really carried away by superior choreographic beauty of P/C.

Totally agree

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
And then later in the broadcast, she said C&B's was the best sd for her. but she was watching on her phone. :shrug: It was an interesting TSL section, but I am not entirely sure what to make of it.

Punsalen & Swallow were, by far, the least effective guests analyzing this year's Worlds on TSL. Frankly a number of their opinions had me responding, Well, if you say so, to my computer screen. I found it, let's call it interesting, that a couple who competed at the highest levels internationally were so complimentary about P/C's PD--which probably had the most glaring timing issues of any of the top couples competing there. Definitely found them in the "headscratcher" school of analysts.

Two good pieces of analysis (and these were more from Dave than from Punsalen and Swallow). That W/P have issues with skating out (and on again/off again chemistry--interesting that when they skate to specifically 'passionate' programs like Je Suis Malade and Maria they do, but otherwise they don't). And I did like Jared's point that the Shibs should stop skating like they're trying to be A students and bring more emotional oomph to the rink. I thought that was spot on.

Well, it really was a rather meh year in ID (as always YMMV). So not especially surprising this was the weakest of TSL's Worlds analyses.

Next year I hope they bring Judy Blumberg at her most uhm forthright. That would be much more interesting.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
To tell the truth, I was more interested in P&S's comments on their own careers and on Igor Shpilband than on Worlds. If you watched a competition on your cell phone, I wouldn't exactly call that proper prep to do serious commentary, especially on ice dance. Either Judy Blumberg, Tanith Belbin, Charlie White, Susie Wynne, or Ben Agosto would be more interesting.

Sackie

Medalist
I agree Doris - it really sounded like they were both very removed from Ice Dance and not really sure who was in the running for what.
I also just watched some old You Tube of the Duchesnays when they won worlds and the comments on them too were that they did not have the best skating skills of the RUS they beat. But what they had was showmanship.
So I guess things don't change.