Wakaba Higuchi | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Wakaba Higuchi

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Trying to send all the good vibes I can to make her win, but no doubt she's able to do it!! My heart was broken with her finish at her first GP... Go Wakaba !!! :cheer:

Exactly, this is a good opportunity for her to redeem her first gp performance!

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks... a tough competition considering. Hope her PCS improves some how...

I hope she can improve her PCS too, but it'll be hard with the programs she has currently tbh. They seem to prioritize the technical mark rather than the artistic one

Meoima

Match Penalty
Thanks... a tough competition considering. Hope her PCS improves some how...
Unless Wakbaba lands all of her jumps, their PCS might be the same. Honestly I think her PCS might be even lower than Marin.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I hope she can improve her PCS too, but it'll be hard with the programs she has currently tbh. They seem to prioritize the technical mark rather than the artistic one
Even if I wasn't in awe of her FS, I do think her SP has great potential: for me she should receive great marks for it if she does the elements clean

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
Even if I wasn't in awe of her FS, I do think her SP has great potential: for me she should receive great marks for it if she does the elements clean

Her SP has potential, but I'm still worried about the backloading of jumps in the second half :/. However if she begins to land everything more consistently, I hope the PCS mark improves I hope she can perform it well in croatia! :cheer:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Her SP has potential, but I'm still worried about the backloading of jumps in the second half :/. However if she begins to land everything more consistently, I hope the PCS mark improves I hope she can perform it well in croatia! :cheer:
In my opinion she should play it safe this time. Put the combo in the first half. It means no harm and her top priority is getting into the JGPF, not to risk it.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
With the way she performed the exhibition version of her FS at a show in Japan (Prince Ice World I believe) in summer, I thought it had potential too. It looked more mature and sophisticated than what she has been doing before and certainly more so than her SP. The problem is, she doesn't perform at competition like she does in shows. It's like that with most skaters, of course. But there are skaters, also juniors, who are able not to give up on performing and expression completely while skating in competitions. Wakaba should try to learn that too. More easily said than done when you have to concentrate on executing elements, especially at this age, I know. But, as I said, there are skaters who can do that, so she should be able to do tha too if she really understood how important it is for her PCS.

Last edited:

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wakaba won the SP in JGP Croatia with a score of 60.77. Definitely better than her first GP!

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
She did well today but did not qualify :cry: :cry:

It's a shame she singled the flip, but hopefully not making the final gives her more time to focus on nationals and possibly worlds! (Does anyone know if she's an alternate? I'm thinking she wouldn't be, but I'm not sure)

chezzu

On the Ice
I really don't think Wakaba making the flip would've changed the outcome, because Marin was amazing tonight. Wakaba sort of let go of the PCS side of the performance, and the steps were quite sloppy, when her edgework is usually great.

Anyway, I think not making the JGPF will light a fire in Wakaba, because she's really a warrior through and through! And despite not making the JGPF, her performances in this JGP were really amazing. I really love Wakaba and I just hope for the best for her!

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
I really don't think Wakaba making the flip would've changed the outcome, because Marin was amazing tonight. Wakaba sort of let go of the PCS side of the performance, and the steps were quite sloppy, when her edgework is usually great.

Anyway, I think not making the JGPF will light a fire in Wakaba, because she's really a warrior through and through! And despite not making the JGPF, her performances in this JGP were really amazing. I really love Wakaba and I just hope for the best for her!

I agree about the flip and the PCS. Hopefully she can take this extra time to work on it! Junior nationals will be tough this year >< I just hope she can do her best!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Watched Wakabby's FS, sad that she didnot make it to the final. but that is a courageous performance. a 7 triple programs with 3lz-3lo and 3lz-3t (ignore the popped flip), is not just any other 7 triple program. Could be the most difficult 7 triple program. Unfortunately, under current system. its difficult is not awarded accordingly. Wakabby could just do a clean 2 2a-3t 7 triple program, probably will get more points.
Because her FS is too difficult tech wise, she obviously does not have enough energy to focus on her presentation. And present her program down to every detail as Marin did this time.
I wish Wakabby's team do NOT categorize her into this jumper type of skater. She is absolutely more than that. It would be a shame.

I agree with this. Looking at the protocols, even if Wakaba had landed a clean 3F with positive GOE, she'd only get about the same TES as Marin. She'd still be over 2 points behind in PCS. I suppose if she went clean, her PCS would be higher, but Marin scored higher in every category so maybe it wouldn't make too much of a difference.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Watched Wakabby's FS, sad that she didnot make it to the final. but that is a courageous performance. a 7 triple programs with 3lz-3lo and 3lz-3t (ignore the popped flip), is not just any other 7 triple program. Could be the most difficult 7 triple program. Unfortunately, under current system. its difficult is not awarded accordingly. Wakabby could just do a clean 2 2a-3t 7 triple program, probably will get more points.
Because her FS is too difficult tech wise, she obviously does not have enough energy to focus on her presentation. And present her program down to every detail as Marin did this time.
I wish Wakabby's team do NOT categorize her into this jumper type of skater. She is absolutely more than that. It would be a shame.

I think Wakaba has natural performance ability that is not exploit nearly enough. She need better programs

Last edited:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I don't know why but I just love watching her. She has sort of a no-nonsense determination about her, and a lot of presence on the ice. And I can never get tired of watching her gorgeous triple lutz. She really brought it with the two triple-triples. Very proud of her.