2015 World's Practice Reports | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 World's Practice Reports

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I'm in Shanghai for the competition and I'd love to go to some practice sessions tomorrow, does anyone know if tickets are required/are they included in the all event ticket?

AFAIK the only practice sessions open to the public are today Monday 3/23 and Tuesday 3/24 in the main arena. You have to buy a separate ticket for
practice as it is not included with the all event ticket package. You can purchase the practice ticket at the Oriental Sports Center. Each ticket costs
$16.00US which is not to expensive. No practice sessions will be open to the public once the compettion begins. I hope this helps.

Welcome to GS!

SomethingWitty

Rinkside
AFAIK the only practice sessions open to the public are today Monday 3/23 and Tuesday 3/24 in the main arena. You have to buy a separate ticket for
practice as it is not included with the all event ticket package. You can purchase the practice ticket at the Oriental Sports Center. Each ticket costs
$16.00US which is not to expensive. No practice sessions will be open to the public once the compettion begins. I hope this helps.

Welcome to GS!

Thanks for the reply. :) I'll head down to the arena later, then. :)

And thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking around here for years but never got round to posting... :eek:hwell:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Scovies

Final Flight
Enh. Who cares. The combo looks strong which is the most important thing. I think she's gotten it to a point where it gets ! and not e, but that's up to the tech caller.

coucou84 mistook the flip in that first video for a lutz. The one in the second video looked okay, but I think she might have two-footed the 3T. It's her first practice and she's probably jet-lagged, so I'm not too worried.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shin Amano spares no one tbh

And good for Shin Amano... if the right call is made.

It's not the tech panel's job to grasp for ways to avoid penalizing a faulty jump, either in edge or rotation.

It's the skater's job to properly execute the jump, and to do it in a way that leaves no doubt that it was done correctly.

I don't like hearing about "lenient" or "strict" panels. "Leniency" lets us all feel good about our favorite skater, but it cheats the athlete who has demonstrated true mastery of the skill.

clippers8200

On the Ice

It's not the tech panel's job to grasp for ways to avoid penalizing a faulty jump, either in edge or rotation.

It's the skater's job to properly execute the jump, and to do it in a way that leaves no doubt that it was done correctly.

I don't like hearing about "lenient" or "strict" panels. "Leniency" lets us all feel good about our favorite skater, but it cheats the athlete who has demonstrated true mastery of the skill.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

NaVi

Medalist
Practice videos are being uploaded here: http://www.tudou.com/home/_64415149/item

I haven't looked through them all, but I saw small clips of Liza...

Despite the reports of Radionova and Pogorilaya having bad practices, here is Pogorilaya doing a clean run through of her SP. The camera switches to Liza right at the beginning of the spin, but it looks like the illusion spin has been replaced with an I spin.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/B3G4uomBP64/

Globetrotter

Medalist

Agree 200%. I know a lot of fans have issue with Shin Amano as he can be very strict and have no qualms about even calling out Mao Asada for < in her 3A. And he certainly does not hesitate to give out the e call. But at least he applies the same strictness to everyone, so tough as it is on your favs, at least you have the assurance he will be tough on anyone else. Those who have the mastery over edges and the necessary rotations will be properly rewarded under Amano. Unfortunately among the ladies, how many actually have both a true lutz and a true flip and not prone to UR/2 foots which leaves no doubts?

Very few - even if we include the greats from the past season, we only have Tuks, Radionova, Yuna Kim and Kostner. Even then, Yuna Kim has been called for the rare ! on her flip. You can count them on one hand. Past skating stars like Kwan (mild flutz), Cohen (chronic flutzer), Slutskaya (lutz often look !) and Arakawa (clear lip) all didn't have the correct edges consistently. Scary when we think about that!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone else have a jumpamatron ready to go :biggrin:

I guess regardless of the outcome I sure hope it isn't decided by instant replay and more so judged on the moment created. Something about a well skated program gets me a lot more excited than a correct edge ever will.

I do however wish that any e or even ! calls were made available to view thru the ISU's YouTube channel. Seriously...Sabinfire and I can crank out a jumpamatron w/music in just a few minutes. It would be nice if the ISU took the time to share with the fans the footage they use to determine the placements and technical calls.

andromache

Record Breaker
Agree 200%. I know a lot of fans have issue with Shin Amano as he can be very strict and have no qualms about even calling out Mao Asada for < in her 3A. And he certainly does not hesitate to give out the e call. But at least he applies the same strictness to everyone, so tough as it is on your favs, at least you have the assurance he will be tough on anyone else. Those who have the mastery over edges and the necessary rotations will be properly rewarded under Amano. Unfortunately among the ladies, how many actually have both a true lutz and a true flip and not prone to UR/2 foots which leaves no doubts?

Very few - even if we include the greats from the past season, we only have Tuks, Radionova, Yuna Kim and Kostner. Even then, Yuna Kim has been called for the rare ! on her flip. You can count them on one hand. Past skating stars like Kwan (mild flutz), Cohen (chronic flutzer), Slutskaya (lutz often look !) and Arakawa (clear lip) all didn't have the correct edges consistently. Scary when we think about that!

This just makes me curious...did past skating stars who competed throughout the majority of their careers with figures (Kristi, Midori, Nancy, etc) have correct edges on their jumps? Did the figures training contribute to an ability to get those correct edges? It's very strange to think that so few top ladies in the past 20-or-so years had consistently correct edges, I agree.