Michael Weiss - Online Interview | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michael Weiss - Online Interview

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
Amazing Grace??? that's the offensive part???
"Battle Hymn of the Republic." For example,

"I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnish`d rows of steel,
"As ye deal with my contemners, So with you my grace shall deal;"
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel
Since God is marching on. "

and

"In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on"

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I forgot that he used that one as well whoops! LOL I was going to say "Amazing Grace" wasn't even written for a soldier...

Apparently, most posters are concerned with the use of the music that Michael skated to. I would be interested to read if there was any other comments on the interview.

I find Michael, a gentleman, a good father, a loving husband, a good skater. What's wrong with that picture? Would he better accepted if he were alcoholic?

Joe

sarahmistral

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
I think he took on some really tough questions that I might have sidestepped, or at least gotten defensive about.

What's more "tacky & tasteless" than calling someone "tacky & tasteless" in an interview? :rolleye: And since when is consistantly finishing in the top 6 at nats and worlds over a 8 year period a "rollercoaster" career? :eek: You'd think he was Chen Lu or something. Sometimes I thing Kwan has just ruined the sport. :laugh:

Compared to Chen Lu's one disastrous season, gold and silver at Worlds, and two Olympic bronze finishes, I'd say the many missed opportunities to be a factor on the international stage (because he certainly has the talent, the goods, and an exquisite true Lutz jump--AND a hypnotist:) ) make Mikey's career far more "rollercoaster" than Chen Lu's.

Back on topic, the interview gave me a very pleasant impression of a skater who's not always depicted in the best light by the media. I too am hardly bowled over by a tribute to confederate soldiers in the Civil War, as American history is surely rich and varied enough to offer up other, far less ignominious patriotic moments to honor. All this notwithstanding, I appreciate and admire the fact that he continues on, as he has had a long career but still probably feels he's fallen short on the international scene and can do more. As far as the questions go, I would have liked to see one on his playing the quintessential family man hetero skater--well, not playing since that's what he *is*, but I'm just thinking of past criticisms regarding his thrusting his wife and kids into the spotlight as if to say, look, I'm an elite figure skater and I'm straight and married with children...I just figure since the particularly candid "panel" of fan interviewers touched upon a number of other issues that could be perceived as thorny or controversial, that's another one that Mike gets a lot of heat over. All in all, great interview, Paula, Mike, and question posters!

Sarah

p.s. What exactly is a freedom blade? Is it different structurally? I'm not being sarcastic or anything; I really don't know!

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
make Mikey's career far more "rollercoaster" than Chen Lu's.
:laugh: You must have very tame roller coasters where you come from.

Think of it as a chart, with dips and rises.

12 , 3, 3 ,3 , 1 ,2 26 ,3.

vs

7, 6,3, 3, 6, 5, 6.

I would definately describe Lulu ride as more "wild" with much more dramatic decents and rises.

To each his own.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I find Michael, a gentleman, a good father, a loving husband, a good skater. What's wrong with that picture? Would he better accepted if he were alcoholic?
:laugh: Joe.

But I think you hit the nail on the head with "a good skater". Most of the skaters who fill up web space are "great skaters" (Yags, Plushy, Todd, Elvis, Boitano, Hamilton, Browning, etc..) . Mike is a very good skater with a very accomplished career, but he has yet to have that truely special "stand up and take notice" skate. He has yet to have that "John Curry-Don Q moment".

I'm not a big Michael fan but I felt I had to come to his rescue, sorta what I do with Sarah. One gets tired of reading that Michael is 'hiding his gayness' or he's showing off that he is not gay. Either of these two comments have never been proven or should they be. Whatever you say about a skater that is not directly related to skating seems to me to be an unexplained wishful statement. Of course, facts are always interesting.

As for his skating, I'm with Berthe. He has yet to skate his 'crowd roaring skate'. Tim did in DC Worlds. We are waiting for Michael to do the same.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Golden Skate is the only forum where I've seen so many people acknowledge Mike's accomplishments... yeah we still see the "Mike stinks/has no tact/is homophobic" comments... but at least Mike has a decent number of fans here :)

Kateri

On the Ice
What Sarahmistral said!

I did get a good impression of Mike from the interview, he seems a lovely guy, and I wish him all the best.

His programmes just don't do anything for me, and at worst, leave a vaguely nasty aftertaste, even if that's not what he intended.

But I think he gets a bad press for being arrogant and over-macho that I don't think is deserved.

sarah - you know the "freedom blades" he has - those ones that curve up at both the front and the back so he can do spreadeagles on his heels and stuff).
like this: \______/ instead of normal blades: _____/

kat.

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
Sarah, for what it's worth, I believe that in Mike's LP he portrayed a Union soldier and not a confederate soldier. The "story" of the program on his website talks about the character returning home:

With the freedom of his country-men secure, and a respect for what that means, he is very different from the young man who heard the drums while in the field.

http://www.michaelweiss.org/programs.shtml

Also, the words to the Battle Hymn of the Republic was written by Julia Ward Howe after visiting the Union Army camps as a rallying song for the Union Army.

http://womenshistory.about.com/library/etext/bl_howe_battle_hymn.htm

Finally the blue uniform that he wore as a costume certainly represented the "Blue" union army uniform instead of the "gray" Confederate uniform.

http://www.kidport.com/RefLib/UsaHistory/CivilWar/Uniforms.htm

I'm sure a lot of people still don't like the program, but I think he was portraying a Union soldier and that the program was not a tribute to the confederate soldiers.