2015 World Team Trophy countries announced | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 World Team Trophy countries announced

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I think my gripe for WTT is from the fact that it's been homogeneous to same countries we see in the podium. I would really like for more countries to be invited as well. But oh well, that's what each country has to think about.

wishful thinking: have a group of random skaters (like Misha, Javi, Sara/Adria, Vale/Ondrej, Soyoun, Nicole or etc.) compete with the countries

I do wish that WTT is held every year in order to legitimize the OG Team Event. Maybe lowering the prize pool can help that work. Besides, it's been consistently held in Japan anyway.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think it could be more fun if they mix the skaters from various countries into different groups by draw and name each group in a fun way, for example: Team spicy or team chippy or team Pooh...

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I think it could be more fun if they mix the skaters from various countries into different groups by draw and name each group in a fun way, for example: Team spicy or team chippy or team Pooh...

Or they could do like the Japan Open: Team North America, Team Asia, and Team Europe. That way, skaters not in the "big 6" can also be invited. Javier & Verner were on Team Europe back in October with Radionova & Pogorilaya.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A reminder to all that the beloved Daisuke Takahashi (who I myself like as well :)) was among those who publicly acknowledged the downsides of WTT: the end of the season, the exhaustion of all the skaters, etc.

For some reason, he received virtually zero (AFAIK) criticism for his remarks.

Other skaters who said basically the same things were not as lucky :confused2:.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe because Takahashi always came off like a humble nice guy while someone like Chan or Scott Moir came off like jerks.

evangeline

Record Breaker
A reminder to all that the beloved Daisuke Takahashi (who I myself like as well :)) was among those who publicly acknowledged the downsides of WTT: the end of the season, the exhaustion of all the skaters, etc.

For some reason, he received virtually zero (AFAIK) criticism for his remarks.

Other skaters who said basically the same things were not as lucky :confused2:.

There's a major difference between publicly acknowledging the downsides of the WTT politely vs. just saying "I hate this event."

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Maybe because Takahashi always came off like a humble nice guy while someone like Chan or Scott Moir came off like jerks.

Maybe because certain skating fans are jerks who love to hate certain skaters who are nice guys.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There's a major difference between publicly acknowledging the downsides of the WTT politely vs. just saying "I hate this event."

Ashley Wagner and the aforementioned Chan got bashed in many posts on GS for saying basically the exact same thing as D. Takahashi.

The double standard was outrageous.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner and the aforementioned Chan got bashed in many posts on GS for saying basically the exact same thing as D. Takahashi.

The double standard was outrageous.

I don't remember Wagner talking about the WTT, so I'm not going to discuss what she said.

About Chan vs. Takahashi--context and delivery 100% matters. When Takahashi made those comments about the WTT in 2013, he made them after skating very well at the event and placing 1st overall.

Whereas when Chan made his comments about the WTT, he did it after skating terribly at the 2013 WTT(and lost to Takahashi). So some people thought it sounded like sour grapes. Even if it wasn't sour grapes, the way he complained about the WTT was so off-putting. I remember it was these two comments in particular that raised a lot of ire:

“Scott and Tessa were able to get out of it, so were Charlie and Meryl,” says Chan, “because it’s not like going from the top of the team to the bottom of the food chain. My situation is different. Who else of equal value is going to replace me?”

“What if that was me?” wonders Chan. “What if my training for next year, an Olympic year, had gone out the window because of a stupid injury at a stupid competition?”

(source)

If you insult your team members and openly denigrate a competition as "stupid," there's inevitably going to be a backlash even if you're raising valid criticisms. Given the fact that Takahashi neither insulted anyone nor called the WTT "stupid," are you surprised that Takahashi's comments were much better received than Chan's?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
...are you surprised that Takahashi's comments were much better received than Chan's?

I'll admit that at this point, I don't remember Takahashi's exact words.

But at the time, I was paying close attention to the tempest in a teapot, and I stand by my opinion that Wagner and Chan were blasted unfairly.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
^ :mad: He sounds so cocky and conceited there. Maybe he'd be more likable if he watched what he said more often.... "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm with evangeline here - the difference was in the method of delivery. Daisuke politely pointed out the potential drawbacks of such a competition. Moir and Chan were douchebags about it.

andromache

Record Breaker
Considering one of those quotes from Chan was in response to an injury that another skater suffered during the event, I can see where he's coming from.

I don't mind skaters speaking out against the ISU, but maybe I just like rebels against the establishment. ;)