Team Russia Fan Page | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Team Russia Fan Page

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I am worried for Liza. I think she should have said pass to this. It is just too much. She seemed exhausted at worlds, so did Lena.

Lena was sick with a fever there. The conditions in Shanghai were said to be not ideal for a lot of the skaters, between the polluted air, eating restrictions, etc. I think Japan is a lot easier to handle and this isn't nearly as high-pressure as Worlds...it should be fine.

CutieP

On the Ice
Lena was sick with a fever there. The conditions in Shanghai were said to be not ideal for a lot of the skaters, between the polluted air, eating restrictions, etc. I think Japan is a lot easier to handle and this isn't nearly as high-pressure as Worlds...it should be fine.

Agreed! I think we will see some post season sloppiness/tiredness in this competition, but I actually don't think it will come from Lena or Liza.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think we might see a better skate from I and Z as is the trend with I and K - up and down all over the place. It will be interesting to see if the Russian men bring it to WTT after a disasterous world's

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I am worried for Liza. I think she should have said pass to this. It is just too much. She seemed exhausted at worlds, so did Lena.
According to what other posters told me, Liza's obligated to go, unless she has an injury.

I think we might see a better skate from I and Z as is the trend with I and K - up and down all over the place. It will be interesting to see if the Russian men bring it to WTT after a disasterous world's
It doesn't really matter placement-wise. No matter how they skate, I don't see I/Z placing higher or lower than fourth (behind C/B, P/C, W/P; but easily ahead of W/L and the Reeds).

Mony

On the Ice

I don't think there is a reason to worry. It isn't really a pressure event, so I think she will be alright. Is this event like the Olympics, where one girl can do short program and the other long program?

However, best believe, Liza will be taking a long and much needed/deserved vacation after this.

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Isn't Liza relaxing/vacationing somewhere at a spa recently? These pics she posted on Facebook are showing her enjoying her life:)So she knows how to recharge.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Isn't Liza relaxing/vacationing somewhere at a spa recently? These pics she posted on Facebook are showing her enjoying her life:)So she knows how to recharge.

The other advantage to training and adding the 3A. Now it takes less to get in shape for "just a 2A"

IleK

On the Ice
Well, you guys might be right. It is just that I lost the number of competitions Liza attended this season. Of course there is no presure, even though I don't like that she is obligated to go. She should have the right to decide after becoming GPF, European and World champion all in the same season. She is like Superwoman. When I said worried I was thinking about her back problems, I just don't want her to give everything this year and then miss another season due to injuries. I want her back with new stuff and will to fight.
All in all this must be like the cherry on the top for her, having fun and winning money. I saw her realxing at that spa and she looked goorgeus as always. I think she will have a stronger competition from the US girls this time and maybe even from Lena. And I will have to bite my nails not knowing who to support more, Liza or Ashley.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Team Russia has such a strong team this year, I see them on the podium. GO Team Russia. :cheer:
So happy that I will get to see K/S beautiful programs again. Love their skating!

LRK

Record Breaker
Team Russia has such a strong team this year, I see them on the podium. GO Team Russia. :cheer:
So happy that I will get to see K/S beautiful programs again. Love their skating!

Yes! And hopefully less pressure will mean we might get to see them clean - or clean-er... And I'm not saying that because of what position they may end up in - but because I just love those programs! It would be a great way for them to end the season, and encouraging for the one to come. :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Well, you guys might be right. It is just that I lost the number of competitions Liza attended this season. Of course there is no presure, even though I don't like that she is obligated to go. She should have the right to decide after becoming GPF, European and World champion all in the same season. She is like Superwoman. When I said worried I was thinking about her back problems, I just don't want her to give everything this year and then miss another season due to injuries. I want her back with new stuff and will to fight.
All in all this must be like the cherry on the top for her, having fun and winning money. I saw her realxing at that spa and she looked goorgeus as always. I think she will have a stronger competition from the US girls this time and maybe even from Lena. And I will have to bite my nails not knowing who to support more, Liza or Ashley.
According to Mishin, after the weight went down, Liza's back problems no longer bothered her. She even did a Biellmann in the exhibition, and I don't think she'd try that if the back were an issue. Mishin also makes the point that even if she doesn't skate well at WTT, it's not a big deal. She's World Champion--I don't think a single person can say she didn't deserve the win--and nothing that happens here can tarnish that.

I tend to be constantly worried about skaters, and initially I too thought she should skip WTT. But I can also see why the ISU doesn't want the top skaters to just run off--it would tarnish the prestige of the competition.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Actually this is a much weaker Russian team then the one that was in Sochi last year. Except for the Ladies they are weaker in all other disciplines.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So true. The third or fourth ranked pairs team, men who have struggled with consistency and now injury with Voronov and a new ice dance team. USA could be the faves especially if they men and ladies do well which is possible - of course we see the potential for them to get upset - still the odds are the ladies in particular will skate well.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Voronov is consistent though. He had a chronic injury that flared up at Worlds, but that doesn't mean it's going to affect him here. At least I hope not.

I don't think the US is stronger in anything except ice dance. The men can go either way. If Voronov is clean he should beat Jason & I'm pretty sure he can beat Max Aaaron as well. Kovtun is the wild card.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
According to what other posters told me, Liza's obligated to go, unless she has an injury.

It doesn't really matter placement-wise. No matter how they skate, I don't see I/Z placing higher or lower than fourth (behind C/B, P/C, W/P; but easily ahead of W/L and the Reeds).

Good point unless they really get the tes up and bring it - but you are probably right they are more apt to beat the Italians, the shibs, g and p.

Catlau

On the Ice
I don't think the US is stronger in anything except ice dance. The men can go either way. If Voronov is clean he should beat Jason & I'm pretty sure he can beat Max Aaaron as well. Kovtun is the wild card.

On the paper, russian ladies, pairs and men are stronger. Especially, none of the US male single skater sent to WTT is able to perform a quad. And this season, the russian team weakness seems to be ice danse, in which North american are clearly stronger.
But don't forget that US female single skaters made an impressive recovery at FS during world championship and were not on the podium only because of bad results during the short program.
Moreover, as it is the end of the season, all skaters are exhausted.
Some surprises could also happen.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
On the paper, russian ladies, pairs and men are stronger. Especially, none of the US male single skater sent to WTT is able to perform a quad. And this season, the russian team weakness seems to be ice danse, in which North american are clearly stronger.
But don't forget that US female single skaters made an impressive recovery at FS during world championship and were not on the podium only because of bad results during the short program.

Ummm Max is kinda our only real quad skater.

moriel

Record Breaker

But then russian ladies were not in their best on Worlds either, and now Radionova had time to recover... If both skate clean, russians will win.

While russia not being the strongest team, ladies will most likely win, and men, pairs and dance actually have a great oportunity to show their best to end the season beautifully, so they may have motivation.

Last edited: