Team Russia Fan Page | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Team Russia Fan Page

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Random questioned that occured to me with all the "Rika/Kanako" going on in the Team Japan Thread. Liza and Elena are going, but Julia is the 2nd highest ranked Russian in the ISU ranking. I know Julia said her season was over after Nationals, does that mean that the Federation was still fined for not sending her even when she said beforehand she had no intention of competing this season anymore? I know that Elena had a much better season and it's a safer bet for Team Russia, but the criteria to send them is the ranking. But if the skater does not wish to go (non injury related) and wants to end his/her season before, does it still mean they're getting fined?

Batsuchan

Medalist
Random questioned that occured to me with all the "Rika/Kanako" going on in the Team Japan Thread. Liza and Elena are going, but Julia is the 2nd highest ranked Russian in the ISU ranking. I know Julia said her season was over after Nationals, does that mean that the Federation was still fined for not sending her even when she said beforehand she had no intention of competing this season anymore? I know that Elena had a much better season and it's a safer bet for Team Russia, but the criteria to send them is the ranking. But if the skater does not wish to go (non injury related) and wants to end his/her season before, does it still mean they're getting fined?

I can't seem to find the rules right now, but I *believe* that top 10 finishers from Worlds are required to go if their country qualifies, which means Lena and Liza would be required to go anyway. If all 3 Russian girls had finished in the top 10, then maybe rankings would have come into play...but I believe it is current season rankings not the standings (which cover multiple seasons) that matter. In which case, Lena is still ranked higher for this season:
http://www.isuresults.com/ws/wr/wrladies.htm

Speaking of Lena, here she is holding a sign that says 6 days left to WTT! Yay!!! :biggrin:
https://twitter.com/mayumi7150/status/586298625329856513/photo/1

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On the paper, russian ladies, pairs and men are stronger. Especially, none of the US male single skater sent to WTT is able to perform a quad.

What about Max? The quad is his claim to fame.

Batsuchan

Medalist
Yes, udachi to Team Russia! :cheer: I won't be able to watch live (I'll be sleeping), but I can't wait to watch all the K&C shenanigans! :biggrin:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Time to get over the World Championship hangover, ladies!

And the guys just need to get with it, period. ;)

There's still 2 more days! Go Team Russia! :cheer:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Aside from the popped quad, I'm not sure what Sergei was supposed to "get with" or what else he could have done. I thought he skated well otherwise. Kovtun is a different person with different issues.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Super-nice :) comments from Captain Smirnov after the first day of competition:

„We are very pleased with this first, long and hard day. I am very happy for my guys, they skated well, but I am also happy for the teams from the USA and Japan. We are ready to fight for two more days in good spirits and with fun. We want to keep our positive attitude in spite of minor mishaps and want to enjoy this festival of figure skating”, Smirnov commented.

http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...news/2015/04/isu-world-team-trophy-2015-day-1

@ISU_Reporter
RUS team captain A. Smirnov: The Japanese fans are an extra story. The rink is always full & they welcome all skaters, not only their own.
7:26 AM - 16 Apr 2015
https://twitter.com/ISU_Reporter/status/588709958113316864

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Oh, I dunno... placing in the top 3 (or 4), maybe? There's no reason Sergei should be losing to Jason Brown... Sergei's GoE is far too low for the elements he is executing out there. Even seeing Mura ahead of him is a bit of a surprise, but not shocking, since Mura does have the potential if he's consistent.

But yeah, Kovtun should be more deserving of criticism here, overall.

moriel

Record Breaker
Kovtun is appearently the weakest link =(
Everyone else done ok or well, and doubt that K/S will have a meltdown

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
A bit of a disappointing first day, imo. It looks like WTT just isn't Russia's event. The men in particular seem to have a tradition of underperforming. Liza and Lena didn't go 1-2 either. *sigh* New format doesn't really favour Russia either--even if Liza and Lena win the LP and overall, they've already given up points in the SP. Only two points, but could be crucial to winning over the US.

Hopefully K/S can give them programs a nice send-off and Team Russia could be back in the running for gold.

Aside from the popped quad, I'm not sure what Sergei was supposed to "get with" or what else he could have done. I thought he skated well otherwise. Kovtun is a different person with different issues.
Had Sergei not popped the quad, he would've been in second place. That would've meant many more points for the team. Usually, I'd say it doesn't matter too much, he can pull up in the free... but in this case the short and free are independent. Not saying I blame him or that he skated badly--just acknowledging what could've been.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Kovtun should not have been sent if he didn't have to be! But the russian mens program is just broken and is not being fixed. It's dormant and Russia will not win a wtt because its men's programs is so damaged.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Kovtun should not have been sent if he didn't have to be! But the russian mens program is just broken and is not being fixed. It's dormant and Russia will not win a wtt because its men's programs is so damaged.

You really have no clue, do you?

Which country's men are doing so much better than Russia? I'd love to know. Sure Japan has Hanyu but Mura, Murakami & Kozuka are not any more consistent than the Russian guys. Shoma may be promising, but so are Pitkeev & Petrov (who are younger than Shoma & still dealing w/growth spurts). Then we have the US, where the top man doesn't have a quad & the other guys are also totally inconsistent.

And besides that there are many talented younger Russian novices & juniors, who don't get the hype that the ladies do, but there are several of them.

So what are you complaining about exactly?

Last edited:

uhh

Medalist
They should (crossing fingers and trying not to jinx anything!) gain points on the US in Pairs, minimum two but maybe more, especially if Eric Radford is not fully on form after his food poisoning. If Kovtun can get ahead of Aaron in the free & the other singles skaters deliver strong performances I think they still have a shot at the title. Plus if P/C outscore C/B on the FD it helps Russia reel them in a bit.

gmyers

Record Breaker
You really have no clue, do you?

Which country's men are doing so much better than Russia? I'd love to know. Sure Japan has Hanyu but Mura, Murakami & Kozuka are not any more consistent than the Russian guys. Shoma may be promising, but so are Pitkeev & Petrov (who are younger than Shoma & still dealing w/growth spurts). Then we have the US, where the top man doesn't have a quad & the other guys are also totally inconsistent.

And besides that there are many talented younger Russian novices & juniors, who don't get the hype that the ladies do, but there are several of them.

So what are you complaining about exactly?

Because its the team event and the Russian men did the poorest of the team I was totally thinking russian men compared to other branches and how they are lagging behind all the other disciplines in Russia. I think that people would agree that within Russia men's is weakest discipline.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well it wasn't honestly a great start. The American ladies did very well compared to the Russians and what was hoped as did the men. It would be best if the Russian men each beat at least one American and both Russian ladies beat the americans though that might be tough as the judges seemed to have tired of Radinova. Also Kavaguti and smirnov really need to be second which isn't impossible with Radford's illness. This would give them a better shot plus if Chock and BAtes end up third in dance which is not impossible.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
crossing fingers & toes for my Team!:love:

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Right now, a solid 2nd seems plausible... Russian ladies and pairs will do better than japanese enough to move up (unless something really evil happens)
But then not sure if they can do well enough to pass the americans...