Team U.S.A Fan Page | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Team U.S.A Fan Page

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
There was no way that USFS would or could have denied Adam a spot on the Worlds team after his Nationals performance. Max and Jeremy earned three spots. Josh was the beneficiary of that.

They could easily have sent them to 4CCs and said "the best man goes to worlds" it turned out to be Josh, but who knows if it would have still worked out that way with added pressure. Honestly, I think USFSA wants to promote Josh, so I think they would not have minded screwing Adam a little.

kwanette

Final Flight
They could easily have sent them to 4CCs and said "the best man goes to worlds" it turned out to be Josh, but who knows if it would have still worked out that way with added pressure. Honestly, I think USFSA wants to promote Josh, so I think they would not have minded screwing Adam a little.

Has that ever been done before?Would they have left Jason home from 4 CC? Doubtful. They wanted him out in front of international judges as USA #1.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Has that ever been done before?Would they have left Jason home from 4 CC? Doubtful. They wanted him out in front of international judges as USA #1.

I don't know if it has been done in the USA but it is very normal in other countries. No reason we can't start too. I don't see where Jason is relevant here. 4CCs you have 3 spots no matter what, so they can still send all three and then decide the world team.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Me too. I am mad they don't send Adam. He really deserves it. Max does nothing for me and did nothing for the 3 spots.

Did nothing?! Did NOTHING?! Without Max there wouldn't have even BEEN three spots for this year.

I have to wake up at 5:45 on Tuesdays and Thursdays to get ready and go to school for a 7:30 class.

So it can be worse. :p

It's a public holiday here, there's no skating sessions, I have four days off work for Easter, and I've been working stacks of overtime all week to prepare for it. Excuse me for grabbing a rare opportunity to sleep in with both hands.

Yes, and Max and Jeremy went to WTT last year. So why isn/t Adam going this year? I was talking about the present, not the past. Max is a nice person, I just don't like his style.

So not liking someone's style is reason to leave them off the team? In that case, leave Adam at home. I don't like his style.

How was Max treated like garbage at US Nats? That's a pretty broad statement to make.

I don't ever agree with gmyers, but in this case, it makes a good point. Max received nowhere near the same level of PCS inflation as everyone else. Adam, Josh and Jason - and even Jeremy - all got huge boosts, and Max got next-to-nothing.

I was very excited to open Twitter this morning and see Max's name on the WTT list. Sadly, that excitement has been dampened by the overwhelmingly negative response to his selection. A lot of people like to forget that Max was the US' number two guy after the GP.

Historically, I think it has been more like trying to find someone who is willing to go the Four Continents.

kwanette

Final Flight
I don't know if it has been done in the USA but it is very normal in other countries. No reason we can't start too. I don't see where Jason is relevant here. 4CCs you have 3 spots no matter what, so they can still send all three and then decide the world team.

Maybe USFS needs to look at their "selection" process. God knows they made a mess of it in Boston. But this discussion is about what is in place now, not what we think it should be.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Maybe USFS needs to look at their "selection" process. God knows they made a mess of it in Boston. But this discussion is about what is in place now, not what we think it should be.

So the top four all got post Nationals assignments Go USA!

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I think the skater who probably feels the worse in all this is Jeremy.
No 4 cc, no WTT.
A 4 time National champ not being picked is kind of cold.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I was very excited to open Twitter this morning and see Max's name on the WTT list. Sadly, that excitement has been dampened by the overwhelmingly negative response to his selection. A lot of people like to forget that Max was the US' number two guy after the GP.

Oh, karne, pls go back to being excited!! :yay:

The Max announcement caused a a lot of excitement in this thread -- excitement for him, plus (no joke) excitement for you :yes:. :)

Some have voiced negativity, but the response has not been overwhelmingly negative.

noskates

Record Breaker
I get that people have favorites, but sometimes it just gets to be too much! I just run like hell away from this board when the subject of Max comes up because none of us are allowed to have an opinion unless it's absolutely superlative, wondrous, the angels are singing and butterflies are flying. Because he works so hard I'm glad he got the opportunity but I still don't think either Adam or Josh should have been passed over. Let's just hope he skates up to the potential that Karne thinks he has - for a change! Over and out............................

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
No 4 cc, no WTT.

My original hope, as I had said earlier, was Max and Jeremy. To me it seemed fitting - Jason, Joshua and Adam get the two "big" events, and as a consolation prize, Max and Jeremy - who were responsible for the reason three of them could go to Worlds - got WTT. It seemed logical to me.

andromache

Record Breaker
No 4 cc, no WTT.

I'm assuming USFSA is giving him the signal to retire after failing to deliver in so many major international competitions, particularly after the Olympics.

I feel kind of sad for the skaters who stick around to compete at the amateur level after the powers that be have decided their time has passed. RIP pro circuit.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Some have voiced negativity, but the response has not been overwhelmingly negative.

Not in here, maybe. But there are other places I can't even bear to go right now.

The way some people are talking, you'd think Evil Terrible Max drew his Gladiator sword (as un-artistically as possible, of course) and threw poor sweet innocent Adam off the team himself.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
because none of us are allowed to have an opinion unless it's absolutely superlative, wondrous, the angels are singing and butterflies are flying.

Oh for heaven's sake, when the hell did I ever say that? No-one can deny that Max has flaws - they all do. But you also can't deny that he gets a lot of flack thrown his way for things that aren't necessarily his fault. Like people attacking him for being picked for WTT because they thought Adam - Adam who had ONE pair of decent performances all season - should have gone.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Not in here, maybe. But there are other places I can't even bear to go right now.

The way some people are talking, you'd think Evil Terrible Max drew his Gladiator sword (as un-artistically as possible, of course) and threw poor sweet innocent Adam off the team himself.

And I am sure Adam fell very artistically.

I don't get the dumb on Max attitude and yes I think people have a dump on Max cuz they like other better. Like last year, many people wanted to see Mirai sent to worlds at least as a consolation prize or sorts for not being picked for the Olympics. I thought that was a reasonably fair and balanced attitude. Come worlds and people are mad at Max being there, and saying crap like how he probably just wanted his season over. No idea why it would be a fair and happy consolation for Mirai, but is wrong for Max. Other than the fact that people wanted to see Jason there. I like Jason, and I can see the desire to get him experience, but never thought he was getting a short end of the stick.

Max is a sweetheart, a joy to watch, and brings things that others don't. I love the variety, and I see nothing wrong with having four USA guys being supported.

kwanette

Final Flight
For the record, I like Max. I just don't like USFS and the underhanded way they operate.

andromache

Record Breaker
Max seems like a lovely person; I'll admit his skating isn't particularly compelling to me. I haven't seen people dumping on him for getting the ticket to WTT this year, merely trying to make sense of the USFSA's decision, which I think is a perfectly reasonable thing to do given that US Nationals placements almost always determine the rest of a skater's season. (One recent exception was Ashley going to Worlds and the Olympics instead of Mirai, and USFSA issued a statement to explain their reasoning.)

Maybe in some other online venues people are dumping on Max and that's unfortunate, but that's no reason to argue that Adam or Josh would've somehow been less deserving of the spot.

kwanette

Final Flight
Max seems like a lovely person; I'll admit his skating isn't particularly compelling to me. I haven't seen people dumping on him for getting the ticket to WTT this year, merely trying to make sense of the USFSA's decision, which I think is a perfectly reasonable thing to do given that US Nationals placements almost always determine the rest of a skater's season. (One recent exception was Ashley going to Worlds and the Olympics instead of Mirai, and USFSA issued a statement to explain their reasoning.)

Maybe in some other online venues people are dumping on Max and that's unfortunate, but that's no reason to argue that Adam or Josh would've somehow been less deserving of the spot.

Well said.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
For the record, I like Max. I just don't like USFS and the underhanded way they operate.

I don't know if it is underhanded or just clueless.

Honestly, I suspect they were planning to send Max all along unless something strange happened. I actually wonder if the reason he was working on new programs was that he knew he was likely to get it and wanted to put to bed this year first.

Normally Max would have/should have been sent to 4CCs but this year was weird as the top three guys all had their own legitimate and different reasons for wanting to go. They could have just named Max then, but maybe they did not want to get locked into who goes to WTT. Is it the highest ranked, or highest ranked at worlds? They may not have wanted to announce Max and have no control over the second skater. So I think it was a "we want Max there but want to reserve the right to screw him over it worlds goes strangely" type thing.

And let's not forget. . . we don't know what has been said between skaters. For all we know Adam and Josh were "meh" on the whole thing.

And is the USFSA really that much worse than countries that have private mystery test skates and what not?

I am standing by that I am happy the top four all got love and support and some kind of post national assignments. I am going to focus on that rather than what would have been better.