This Week on American Idol | Page 2 | Golden Skate

This Week on American Idol

guinevere

Final Flight
I was thinking that I wouldn't even watch anymore, but I got sucked in.

Song 1 - Singer's Choice

In general I'm disappointed that all 3 went for really "big" songs that could have been sung other times during the season. I loved in AI 1 that Nikki McKibbin sang "Edge of Seventeen" and she explained what it meant to her. I think all 3 chose songs for their diva-note material, not because the songs necessarily meant that much to them.

Jasmine - Jasmine is either masochistic or delusionsal for choosing a Whitney song for herself. Better keeping on pitch than usual, but there is no power to Jasmine's voice. No matter what she does, I just picture her singing in an airport bar somewhere, to a bunch of people who aren't really listening. "Sweet but forgettable" is the perfect description.

Fantasia - "C'mon y'all" right off the bat! grrr. This one seemed like an easy choice for Fantasia. She did the best of the three, but she looked like she was channeling Diana, the way she was boppin' along, with no connection to the words.

Diana - Hey, where'd Diana go? How'd Hilary Duff end up in this competition? The beginning of this song was rough. Pi-chee!

Song 2 - Judges' Choice
Or, Judge's Choice, since each judge got to choose one song for one of the singers.

Jasmine - the song was goofy, but I think Jasmine did a good job with it. I think the fact that it wasn't a well-known song worked in her favor - she was free to work it and have fun instead of trying to sing the way people expect to hear the song (which I think is one of Jasmine's weaknesses as a performer). For once she hit the money note at the end! Still a pretty empty performance though.

Fantasia - I agree with Simon that Fantasia has an old school quality, and this was a nice song for her. She has improved her skill at walking through the crowd while singing! What was interesting about this song was that I think Fantasia was nervous - maybe she wasn't as confortable with it, I don't know. But the look in her eyes when she looked at the camera said she was working hard. Performance was great though!

Diana - Ugh - Diane Warren + Celine Dion + Diana Degarmo = pure cheese. Really flat for the first half. Got into it during the chorus, but by that point I didn't care.

Song 3 - Clive's Choice

Jasmine - the beginning was appalling. Jas couldn't find the notes, and wasn't even on the downbeat. The chorus was very good, though! Still "sweet but forgettable".

Fantasia - Now THAT is how you sing a Whitney Houston song - you hit the notes, but don't try to sing it the way Whitney does. I can't stand this song, but I had goosebumps the whole time - even during the 3-second replay at the end! Plus, Fantasia had tears - hopefully people saw them and voted for her!

Diana - Hmmm...I never noticed how similar the choruses of "All By Myself" and "Don't Cry Out Loud" are. I wonder if that was a little bit of strategic planning on the part of Mr Davis. Wouldn't surprise me at all. This was the first song that we got to hear LaToya sing, and she hit it out of the ballpark. Diana was ok, but I kept thinking about how great LaToya's version was.

Fantasia is so far above the other two it's ridiculous. Wouldn't surprise me at all if she's booted off tomorrow.

guinevere

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I'm not going to comment on each of the performances - no need to at this point. However, I will say:

--I couldn't stand that Diana sang the first half of 'Ain't No Mountain...' in the style of Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell, then sang the second half using Diana Ross's version.

--What was up with Jasmine's hair and Diana's bangs???? And Diana's pants: a front slit on the left leg and a back slit on the right leg?????

--I tried to vote for Fantasia as much as I could, but I only got through once between 9:00 and 9:15, once between 10:00 and 10:15, then got through about 20 times between 10:45 and 11:00.

--I hope Simon's words to Jasmine don't come back to haunt the results again. I still like her, but she really should have been the one to go last week.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Lotta

On the Ice
Diana: "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"...to keep Diana from shouting across the Himalayas

*FOCL* Himalayas and "mountain" in that sentence sound so perfect together.

I didn't watch it last night and I hope I did. But even if I did I would not vote cuz at this point I don't care WHO goes. It can either be Jazzy or DD or Fantasia. I'm glad to hear some reviews on Jazzy. My poor girl. :cry: Maybe she'll go home tonight. If she does, there's always DD...

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
I'm thinking, and hoping, that it will be a Diana/Jasmine finale. It would be just spectacular, in my opinion. These two are great singers like Ruben and Clay were last year. I can't wait for this year's finale! It should definitely be exciting as well as interesting. Go Girls! :D

lavender

Record Breaker
A Diane/Jaz finale? Yuck. I think they would lose viewers because who cares at that point.

It's sad because Fantasia isn't going to win for sad reasons but she is awesome. She just has 'it'. I wonder if they are going to want to spend money on Jasmine or Diane if they win. I wouldn't because I don't think they will be as successful as Kelly, Ruben and Clay.

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
Message deleted, and I am reminding myself again to never post in an AI thread...

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Kasey said:
Jasmine seems like a very sweet and classy girl. She could truly exhibit her class by taking HERSELF out of competition, just bowing out, regardless of the vote. Oh well......

Kasey

Why should she? She is where she is because she has received the votes to be there fair and square. Could you see telling a figure skater that has been "gifted" by the judges to exhibit THEIR class by withdrawing from a competition?

The AI organization made the rules and determined how the winners would be chosen. So, IMO they have no one to blame but themselves when a situation such as this comes up.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Still am curious about where *facts* such as "A lot of people voted just to get Fantasia off...and since LaToya's number was busy they all voted for Jazz and Diana..." come from. I don't mean to sound accusatory. We all know how *facts* get started on forums. I'm just genuinely perplexed. Are such things the consensus on some heavy duty Idol thread? Help!

I go by "unscientific" polls and such online... I lurk at a lot of fan boards for American Idol... as well as know a lot of people who are voting for anyone BUT Fantasia because they don't like her...

this is not everyone in the US, and I realize that... but Idol Forums .com has thousands of posters... also there was a thing about Alaskan voters and their picks for AI on the evening news (we have nothing better to report on?? :rolleye: ) and a lot of them were saying that they liked "getting back" at the judges each week... :rolleye: where were they when John was getting torn up every week??? :laugh:

BTW in your review of Fantasia's second song you switched her name to Jasmine... as far as I know Jazz doesn't have a daughter

did you notice when Fantasia was first in the audience for that song Jazz's family weren't all into the song like the rest of the audience... I guess I understand why, but it's not 'Tasia's fault that Jazz wasn't at her best last night! *shrugs*

as for what Ryan has to say, eh. He's hot so who cares? ;) :laugh:

I actually enjoyed Fantasia tonight... not enough to go out and buy her album... but either she's growing on me... or I've decided to enjoy her good qualities... I guess she is the Michelle Kwan of this group for me.

Diana impressed me with her last song... she should be in the top two -- out of this three -- but really, LaToya should be up there with Fantasia... or at the very least GEORGE... but too late for that now! :(

Jasmine is so out of her element now if Fantasia or Diana goes home American Idol is through... there will be no fourth season. UGH.

These two are great singers like Ruben and Clay were last year. I can't wait for this year's finale!

Not to be rude... but did you see last year's finale???? Diana/Jazz vs Clay/Ruben... HMMMMMMMMMM yeah somehow I don't think one winning over the other would cause an edge of your seat show. It'd be more like "who cares". Neither has the TALENT that Ruben and Clay posess much LESS are the rivals. Granted the rivalry was all in the media, but still...
I could see a LaToya vs Fantasia finale being as exciting... but really I couldn't see a SUCCESSFUL SHOW ending with a Diana/Jazz ending... that'd just be the worst possible way to end an already funked out season.

on a really side note, anyone know if American Juniors is returning... I hope not! just wanted to know...

Last edited:

Jill

On the Ice
I'm with you, JonnyCoop.

YO, 'TASIA, give the "yeah yeahs" a rest, will ya? It's really gettin' old, you know what I'm sayin?

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
A Diana/Jasmine final?? Well, it would free up some time next Tuesday night, and I have some reading to catch up on.
I spent two hours last night watching "Colonial House" and trying to vote for Fantasia, and got through once - ten minutes before the voting ended. With all the talk about block calling and voting, I don't know if that's good or bad, but by any objective criteria, Fantasia is the best singer in the competition. Last night, she covered Aretha, Tina Turner and Whitney Houston and did all three songs well. Neither Diana nor Jasmine could have matched that.
I thought "Fool in Love" was inspired - I heard the first two notes and went flying out of the bathroom to see it. I don't know WHAT Jasmine was thinking doing "Saving All My Love" - call me an old fuddy-duddy, but 17-year-old girls doing songs celebrating adultery just rub me the wrong way. It was the psychic equivalent of listening to John Stevens covering "Me and Mrs. Jones". Can you imagine? (~shudder~)
Long story short - the competition's a joke at this point.
Lunch break is over, must get back to work!
Rave (Rant?)

Becca84

Rinkside
I agree w/ anyone who says "Who cares who wins"! This season has been very forgetable & I wouldn't buy any of the top 3 girls cds. All 3 of them have some talent, but IMO none of them are great.

On another note, I'm so sick of the judges it isn't funny! All season they have whined about contestants that "weren't good enough for the top 12 (or whatever)", but they are the ones who selected who would be voted for! It's their own stinkin' fault :rolleye: & they also make it way too obvious who they want to win & don't even try to be fair. I'm starting to really find AI to be nothing but a cheesefest :sheesh: I feel like Fantasia has been shoved down my throat as much as Ruuuuuuuuuben & his 205 was last yr (but at least Fantasia isn't flat most of the time). I wonder if the judges will get their way again, or if bookies really control it & pick someone else :laugh:

Ok, I'm done ranting (complaining) now :D

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Rave/Rant, how about all of us coming to your place for that tenderloin, baked potato, asparagus, and cheesecake dinner next Tuesday?:D :D :D

Did you see Oprah and Gail on Colonial House during Oprah's Monday show?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Becca... while they DID choose the top 32... America voted for 9 out of the 12 finalists... none of the wildcards are still on the show...

mike79

On the Ice
To anyone who have problems with how the judges talk about Fantasia: Could it be that they like her so much because she's that much better than everyone else? If I were in the judges' position I wouldn't be complimenting anyone who didn't deserve to be there.

lavender

Record Breaker
Well man I think Fantasia deserves the praise.

I guess people should really dislike Michelle and Sasha since they get praise most of the time. Maybe it's because presentation wise they are better than everyone else.

Toni,
Thanks for answering my second question about sources. I kinda figured, but was just checking my source.:)
BTW in your review of Fantasia's second song you switched her name to Jasmine... as far as I know Jazz doesn't have a daughter
:confused: Huh? Wha? Toni, my post says "Fantasia's daughter." Toni, I think you may be seeing things. Maybe you should start doing The Bobo.

Naaaahhh!!! Just kidding with you! I got that tip from another poster who shall remain nameless who said one of his favorite jokes was when somebody went off on one of his posts, he'd completely rewrite it so the person complaining about it wouldn't know which way was up. Now you can pull it on me.

Plus 10 out of 10 Simon-level compliment points for pointing out that while the judges picked the final 32, the audience picked the final 12--except the wild card chosen by each judge. Besides, I do think this year's top 12 had a lot of great singers. As Randy said on the most recent AI special, he felt last year the final 12 had about 5 or 6 good singers, whereas this year had 7 or 8. Generally, I'd agree with that, at least 7 or 8 with real potential as a recording artist.
Ravyn Rant said:
A Diana/Jasmine final?? Well, it would free up some time next Tuesday night, and I have some reading to catch up on.
I spent two hours last night watching "Colonial House" and trying to vote for Fantasia, and got through once - ten minutes before the voting ended. With all the talk about block calling and voting, I don't know if that's good or bad, but by any objective criteria, Fantasia is the best singer in the competition. Last night, she covered Aretha, Tina Turner and Whitney Houston and did all three songs well. Neither Diana nor Jasmine could have matched that.
I thought "Fool in Love" was inspired - I heard the first two notes and went flying out of the bathroom to see it. I don't know WHAT Jasmine was thinking doing "Saving All My Love" - call me an old fuddy-duddy, but 17-year-old girls doing songs celebrating adultery just rub me the wrong way. It was the psychic equivalent of listening to John Stevens covering "Me and Mrs. Jones". Can you imagine? (~shudder~)
Rave (Rant?)
A poster after my own heart. I too thought "Fool in Love" was inspired--exactly the word--both in performance and Simon's choice. BTW, I saw Tina Turner live when she was still "Ike and..." when they were the opening act for the Rolling Stones in 1968 and although Tina was a seasoned performer by then and was like an absolute tornado on stage, seeing and hearing Fantasia at her best, especially Tuesday night, I felt as if we might be seeing someone with the same kind of raw star power as Tina, but in her own way. Tina Turner was also from a small southern town, Nutbush, Tennessee. Turner even wrote a song about it, appropriately entitled, "Nutbush." 'Tasia doesn't have Tina's legs though. Tina Turner's legs could light a fire and probably have;).

I also thought the same thing about Jasmine singing "Saving All My Love." At first I couldn't figure out if Jasmine didn't understand what the lyrics meant, except for obvious ones like, "We'll be making love the whole night through," or if she was trying to choose a "mature" song because of the rap Simon was giving the 16-year-olds.

But after watching my tape, I think Jasmine didn't get what the song was about, which is, IMO, part of her problem--though it's a whole LOT of singers' problem. Maybe not totally not getting the meaning of the song, but as I've said before, many singers vocalize the notes well enough but either don't know how or don't even know that equally important is to tell the story of the song with genuine emotion--all that great stuff Trevor Nunn got the actor/singers to do in his revival of "Oklahoma!"

And was ROFL at the idea of John Stevens singing "Me and Mrs. Jones." Or how about "Mrs. Robinson"? At least we can be thankful nobody sang "My Heart Belongs to Daddy," although there are some old blues and rags from the '30s on my old vinyl album "Copulatin' Blues" that I think Fantasia could sing with just the right 'tude.;)
Naughty Rgirl

Last edited:
ITA about "I hope Jasmine was embarrassed" being harsh, VIETgrlTerifa. It's no secret that for me Jasmine went from being one of my favorites early on to someone I could barely listen to in the last four or five weeks. I actually think she got worse. But still, no matter how she performed, it was the the people who were voting who controlled whether she stayed or went. Jasmine had nothing to be emabarrassed about if she was trying her hardest, which I'm sure she was. And geez, she IS after all, just 16, thrown from a city that may seem very cosmopolitan because of the heavy tourism, but in fact is quite isolating to live there--or so say my friends and relatives who live in Honolulu.

The only thing I hope Jasmine was feeling as she heard Tamyra Grey sing was, "This is great! I'm getting to see everything she's doing both in rehearsal and performance, plus talk to her backstage. [I'm assuming all three could and did.] If I really want to pursue this as my profession, man, I've got a lot of work to do, one of which is to find a great vocal teacher ASAP." In fact, I hope both Diana and Fantasia were feeling the same thing. As I said in my post on the "AI Spoiler" thread, Tamyra performed like a pro right out of the gate in AI-1. But watching her tonight, I was very impressed with how much she has improved in every aspect of her singing and presentation over the last two years and I bet she's worked very hard to make those improvements.

To learn from and aspire to be as good as Tamyra, any vocal artist worth his/her salt should want that. But to feel "embarrassed" because of the way the voting went? Nah. I hope all AI-3 contestants paid attention, but I also hope they all enjoyed their experiences on AI. What a wonderful and unique thing to go through on so many levels, and any unfairness they have encountered, no matter how they were affected by it, should hopefully prepare them for the rest of life, because for most people, life tends to get less fair as time goes on, not more.

And if anyone is REALLY worried about it, I can virtually guarantee you that Jasmine will have ample opportunity to feel embarrassed by situations in life--she's only 16--as do most of us. Jasmine did nothing wrong.
Rgirl

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Piel said:
Rave/Rant, how about all of us coming to your place for that tenderloin, baked potato, asparagus, and cheesecake dinner next Tuesday?:D :D :D

Did you see Oprah and Gail on Colonial House during Oprah's Monday show?

That's a long trip for a steak dinner!
And no, I didn't catch Oprah on Monday, but I can't wait to find out what happens next in 1628! PBS is doing Colonial House, followed by 1900 House, so I've been having all kinds of fun with vicarious time travel.
Rave